cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What features would you suggest for an Oculus Go Kiosk mode?

Anonymous
Not applicable
FieldOfVision would like it to be possible to put the Go into a Kiosk mode, as in to only play a single application automatically upon turning on the device. 

What features would you suggest for an Oculus Go Kiosk mode?
How should it be configured?
Should it be password protected?
What are your thoughts?

25 REPLIES 25

JohSm67
Rising Star
Maybe not a pure kiosk mode request!

But there should be some kind of multicast 360 video receiver that could be enabled.
To only receive streamed 360 video sessions in sync to X number of GO devices from a Oculus Rift or other PC client on a common high speed WIFI network for demo and education/teaching live sessions.

/J
JohSm

Timnijland
Protege
Hi everybody.

A Kiosk mode is something we alwayst thought was necessary, also for the Gear VR system. Sadly Oculus/Samsung has never seen the importance of the B2B market and easily showing VR content in a more commercial setting. So we decided to build some apps ourselves.

For our mostly b2b clients we've developed 2 application for easily showing VR content, 360 video at the moment. The first is called look and play where the viewer is placed in a branded enviroment and can view at a (also branded) icon or logo to watch the 360 video.  The back button could be disabled in the past but Oculus decided to push an update where it can't be disabled. For the Gear VR a piece of duck tape is sufficient but not necessary, most people can't find the back button. For the GO no issue at all since you don't need a controller.

For larger groups we offer a solution called VR Sync which is available for GearVR and Oculus Go. This enables you to start pre-loaded content on the device itself. We've have tested in many times, for small and large events and it's even being used by Google!  

For more info please get in touch with me at tim@vrowl.nl

drTheMan
Honored Guest
Additional feature;
- Start browser with specified URL in kiosk (fullscreen) mode 

aweidenhammer
Protege
We have had several clients ask about this.  Two huge ones want to purchase a few hundred GOs and ship them to storefronts, but we need a kiosk/demo mode in order to make this happen.  Is there anyone at Oculus that might set up a chat with us to hammer this issue out? 

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have had several clients ask about this.  Two huge ones want to purchase a few hundred GOs and ship them to storefronts, but we need a kiosk/demo mode in order to make this happen.  Is there anyone at Oculus that might set up a chat with us to hammer this issue out? 

I'd suggest presenting this directly to Oculus Support. I think it will get better traction there than here.

kojack
MVP
MVP
Instead of password protection, the mobile app could be given the ability to start/stop apps on the Go, and lock the current app. Then you could control all of the headsets from one device.
(Yesterday I had 3 Go's tethered to my phone, I was watching battery life as my students worked on projects. But there's little you can do with them via the app, just watch battery, factory reset and turn on/off developer mode)

Something else needed: no forced calibration screen. When the headset is put on after a long break, do an immediate headset calibration. After a short break, continue using current tracking. That would fix usage in headset only apps.
For controller based apps, make it that any button press after a break does a controller calibrate, so you can secretly press a button as you hand the controller to someone. Or when the app is locked, have it that the oculus button does a controller calibrate on short press instead of long.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

rupert
Protege
@kojack we are developing an app for guided control that you should take a look at. Let me know your registration email address if you want to try the beta.

rob_brenchley_9
Honored Guest
@rupert, I would be very interested in this. 
In terms of a Kiosk mode it would be very helpful for us. I would want to designate which apps they could access and only those would be viewable. All apps would also need to work offline.

Gabrio
Explorer
We already use the Oculus mobile App to enable Developer mode on the oculus, maybe could be also simple use the same mobile app to start/stop a kiosk mode. Selecting, for example, the installed app from a list, always from the mobile phone. Also have the ability to enable/disable the use of the devices button (volume/power) could be useful when selecting kiosk from mobile. It's happened in a museum installation that some users turned the volume down and others didn't found the buttons to turn the volume up. So having the possibility to set the volume at a specific intensity could be interesting.

About the kiosk, I quote all the suggestion proposed.

Anonymous
Not applicable
hello rupert 
I am very interested in a kiosk mode solution. 
our applications ( a kind of virtual art space)  run on the oculus browser ...... I hope a solution is in sight
wbr
nikonutsch