cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for me to boycott buying games from Oculus store

christopherbarn
Adventurer
Once again, the Rift gets the shaft. No support for Rift on Oculus Venues. First it was the GearVr and now Go who get the live streaming events and Rift gets jack shit.
Fine, to this point I have bought all my games from Oculus Store to support Oculus. Screw you guys. All my games will now be bought via Steam.
68 REPLIES 68

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I own both the Rift and GO, so there aint no shafting on this end!

A few things to observe about this overall situation:
  • When Facebook acquired Oculus, a plethora of complaints began about "privacy concerns" due to the fact that Facebook is a Social Media company.
  • People have complained that the Rift account can be acquired using a Facebook account.
  • People have complained that this very Forum uses a Facebook login.
  • People have stressed their concern that the Facebook acquisition of Oculus would mean that less "PC games" would be focused on, and more "social apps" would come forth.
  • Facebook Spaces received lots of criticism from PCVR owners.

Yet now here we are where newcomers and veteran posters alike feel slighted that the Rift doesn't have Oculus Venues, a Social Media app? lmao

Oculus Venues only works with a Facebook Account. So maybe the reason Facebook-Oculus didn't create it for the Rift is because they decided to listen to the hundreds of complaints between 2016-2018 about Facebook specific Social Media apps being forced on Rift owners.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

snowdog said:

So you're going to give your money to Valve instead, who have been doing *** ALL with the money that gamers have been giving them FOR YEARS. At least Oculus have been bringing AAA quality games to the Oculus Store since day one and actually CURATE their store properly.

Valve are a complete bunch of **** imo and are poisoning the VR games well with the 98% of pure shite they allow on Steam. Complete **** the lot of them. Gaben should be hanging his head in shame these last 10 years or so.

Perhaps not the language I would use but this pretty much mirrors my view entirely . Its daft as well. Valve has some decent IP which would be nailed nailed on to make a profit so even if they no longer have the staff to make a good game, just hire them ! HL3, left for dead 3 are simply risk free imo so long as they didn't go off the reservation with 20 hrs of mocap or getting in a list actors to do voice over.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

blanes
Rising Star
hey Fluffy-White-Stuff-Dawg  !   yeah what they said but please off with the 'C' word man ...  
... else my mum (mom for the dixie whistlers ) will ban me from hanging out here !!!   :#

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I don't know about Venues - but I do wish some of the stuff was available cross-headset and particularly fro the Rift, as someone said, their current flagship product.

I do understand media streaming licence restrictions and as far as the BBC goes they are triple A at being completely anal about it - but it's what we are stuck with.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Atmos73 said:

When you’re s Viver there’s no need to boycott. 

vive users are in the same boat as rifters aren’t they? Chances of valve actively pushing support for stuff like the world cup in vr is even worse so the way i see it your as shit out of luck as i am with regards to live World Cup streaming.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

When you're a Viver in an Oculus forum, logical reasoning doesn't matter.

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star
I can see both sides of this argument, but feel that this is just limiting their audience and stunting the mass adoption and much needed public awareness of VR.

I am only a Rift user, and it would have been great to have friends round for the World Cup and take turns watching it in VR.

This I feel would have been replicated in many homes around the world and would most likely have increased the user base world wide.

Just my 2c! :smile:
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

cercata
Expert Protege

But I suppose they're doing what they need to do and that's give people as much incentive to buy the Go as possible. 

Or incentives for buying on Steam ... not even cross-buy

And if I'm using my account to play a game on the Rift, I can't lend my GO to someone else to play meanwhile.
But if the game is from steam, yes, you can !!!!!!

I thought we were talking about streaming media.

I'm just speculating as to why Venues and certain media streams aren't available on the Rift. Those same streaming restrictions are likely going to apply regardless of whether it's on Oculus or Steam.

Atmos73 said:

The OP mentioned Steam and then other weighed in on Valve using some choice words but you don’t see that because of your agenda.

Once again you're using agenda in my case simply because I've pointed out several times previously of your obvious agenda.

Show me a couple posts of yours that have been pro Oculus within the last 2 years of using the forum and I'll lay off.... and people can then also make there own minds up as to who has an agenda. In return for every positive Oculus post you reveal... I'll refer to a couple negative Oculus posts from my past.... and yes they're there.