New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Alien Isolation VR Mod Is On Its Way!!!

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,297 Valuable Player
    I've actually found working on my game to be quite therapeutic as it goes, just frustrating that I'm going long periods without doing anything.

I've done 42 models so far and now that I have that Substance bundle I can get on with texturing them. Once I have that done I actually start messing around with the Unreal Engine and get something resembling an actual game lol

Then my plan, once I get something playable, is to approach Oculus to get some funding so that I can buy the Pro version of SketchUp, UV Layout Pro and anything else that I need to make this happen.

And if Oculus are up for it I'm planning on having this available to buy for something like $4.99/£4.99 and having all of the proceeds going to cancer or leukaemia research or something. :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Mind you, by the time I get this thing finished someone probably would have come up with a cure for both lol :o:D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,006 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Am I the only one
    Yes!!!

whoa i looked that this software, expensive and keeps on so

Hey have you thought of finding other devs to join in?
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Nope, because of my sporadic work rate I don't want to drag anyone else down with all of these delays. Plus I reckon I've got everything in my arsenal to get the job done. 3D modelling, texturing, music ability (I play the guitar, bass guitar and got myself a cheapo roll-up piano for 36 quid a few months ago), writing, game mechanics and there are plenty of royalty free sound effects out there that I can use too. And if I need any voice acting I know that the VR Spies and I'm sure some of you kind people will be happy to offer their services so I think I'm all set.

The $199 I spent on the Substance Indie Pack wasn't too bad because I recently got paid 640-odd quid that's been owed to me since January so that was water off a duck's back. Plus I gave them an address of a hotel in Montana so that I didn't have to pay VAT or US Sales Tax lol. Going to need Oculus funding for SketchUp though because you can't use SketchUp Make for commercial projects, not even ones for charity which is a bit mean!

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    edited August 2017
    May I be so bold as to point out this charity? It's my regular pay too charity and a great and worthy cause :) https://www.mind.org.uk/

Plus I'm a lazy git so if you need or want any slowwwwwww help, I'm your man :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Of course you may! I was thinking about Mind as it goes due to my mental health issues, but thought that a cancer or leukaemia research charity would be more likely to have people relate to because just about everyone seems to have lost friends and family to cancer. Thanks for the suggestion though! :)

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,165 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    I've done 42 models so far
    Teheheheh...
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Wildt said:
    snowdog said:
    Teheheheh...
    Agg! Agg! F'Nar! F'Nar!

Only old gits like me will understand that reference lol :p

• nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    I got stuck early on as i couldn't figure out how to provide power to the big doors & the switch didn't seem to work. tbh it was a good excuse to stop playing it as it was too tense for me. 
  • dmdcsmdmdcsm Posts: 75
    Hiro Protagonist
    The Mother VR MOD is absolutely fantastic!!!
  • phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    edited August 2017
    This might be a good time to remind people. If you are enjoying the work Nibre has done, think about donating some money for all the great work he put into this. Paypal link here

https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases/tag/0.1.0

People who do this sort of work should be encouraged. SEGA couldn't be bothered doing it but Nibre did.

CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • elbofforelboffor Posts: 2,572 Valuable Player
    Am i the only person that wants to play manhunt in vr?
    This is my forum signature.
    There are many others like it, but this is mine.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,936 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Wildt said:
    snowdog said:
    Teheheheh...
    Agg! Agg! F'Nar! F'Nar!

How old is an old git? In the olden days you were an old git when you reached 50 year old. How old do you have to be to be called an old git now?
    lovethis said:
    snowdog said:
    Wildt said:
    snowdog said:
    Teheheheh...
    Agg! Agg! F'Nar! F'Nar!

How old is an old git? In the olden days you were an old git when you reached 50 year old. How old do you have to be to be called an old git now?
    Depends on how old the people are that you're asking. To some young whippersnappers anyone over 30 is ancient. :o

Just did a Google search and you don't have to be an old git to get that reference, Viz comic is still going. Might have to buy a copy now and see if it's as funny as it used be in the 80s and 90s. The words above are what the Viz character Finbarr Saunders used to say whenever he came across a double entendre (Chortle! Chortle! Ker-Snip! Ker-Snip!) :D:D:D

edited August 2017
    I remember been about 15 years old and thinking people were old when they were in their 50's. I classed some of them as old gits because they used to burst our footballs if ever they went over the fence into their gardens. The ones in their 40's used to just throw the ball back over, but the 50's age group were a bit more reluctant. That told me they classed me as a young whippersnapper who needed to be taught a lesson and I then classed them as an old gits. Now I'm an old git myself, I understand the reasoning behind the old gits - LOL.
  • Murpheus77Murpheus77 Posts: 125
    Art3mis
    This might be a good time to remind people. If you are enjoying the work Nibre has done, think about donating some money for all the great work he put into this. Paypal link here

https://github.com/Nibre/MotherVR/releases/tag/0.1.0

People who do this sort of work should be encouraged. SEGA couldn't be bothered doing it but Nibre did.

Though I can still play A.I. in extended mode with a DK2, the convenience of not having to boot up another installation of Windows to do so is definitely worth buying somebody a beer.

The day people like Nibre disappear from the scene is a dark day for VR. 
  • habokuhaboku Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Tried the MOTHER VR Mod, and did what no other game has made to me: INCREDIBLE MOTION SICKNESS. After 10 minutes, was impossible to play.
  • LitespeedLitespeed Posts: 333
    Trinity
    haboku said:
    Tried the MOTHER VR Mod, and did what no other game has made to me: INCREDIBLE MOTION SICKNESS. After 10 minutes, was impossible to play.
    I guess that happens to most in the beginning. I'd suggest focusing on games that are easier on the stomach at first but coming back to AI at least once a week. Always stop when it starts to feel bad.
    After a while you'll be able to play longer and longer stints. It's a matter of training.

That may sound tedious but the good thing is once you get trough this you'll be pretty much immune to sickness in any VR game.
    At least that's how it worked for me.

• phoenixdigitalphoenixdigital Posts: 167
    Art3mis
    haboku said:
    Likely the reason they never included it in the final build of the game.

The only solution I have seen to getting VR legs is as Litespeed said start with easier games and work your way up.

1. Play a game till you feel queasy then stop IMMEDIATELY!
    2. Wait a day
    3. Rinse repeat.
    Never "push on through" as it will make it worse.

I've seen countless people posting over the last year that this method got them bulletproof VR legs.

Personally I've been blessed with an iron stomach and can handle most experiences.
    CPU: i5 6600K (conservative overclock), GPU: Asus GTX1080Ti (not overclocked), motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, USB Card 1: Inatek 4 Port, USB Card 2: Startek 2 Port
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,135 Valuable Player
    edited August 2017
    haboku said:
    it is harder than most games on the vr legs. its one of the reasons i suspect sega ditched official support after gettting it so close.  you gotta remember its now being done by a hobbyest,  he IS still working on getting it better. what version of the mod are you using? his 0.2 removed headbob completely which should help compared to the 0.11 version of the mod.

edit ninja'd by phoenixdigital.  he is totally spot on tho. never EVER push on through, once you get the warning clammyness make sure you call it a day. most people can build a tolerence over time, in small bitesized bits.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,672 Valuable Player
    I used technolust to get my VR legs.
    WAAAGH!
  • JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 317
    Trinity
    Sorry for the 'late to the party' post, but 9 total pages are way too much to read through! Will Alien Isolation ever get an official VR patch?? If not, is this fan made patch good? I've heard great things!  I love VR horror and have pretty solid VR legs, so is it worth a shot?

Thanks in advance guys/gals
  • SimplexPLSimplexPL Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    It's good but still an early version. 
    JeremyC85 said:
    Sorry for the 'late to the party' post, but 9 total pages are way too much to read through! Will Alien Isolation ever get an official VR patch?? If not, is this fan made patch good? I've heard great things!  I love VR horror and have pretty solid VR legs, so is it worth a shot?

Thanks in advance guys/gals

I don't think that it's too likely that we'll see an official patch but this patch is excellent. :D

NerveGear
    haboku said:
    Must quote myself after the latest update of MotherVR patch...

ONE OF THE MOST TERRIFYING VR EXPERIENCE LIVED USING AN OCULUS.

The developer added snap turning and no more motion sickness... Incredible the hard work and the efforts that this guy has made for the community. 

Once he release compatibility with touch controllers, and some features more, I'll be donating for sure!

If you haven't tried it, DO IT ASAP. If you -like me- tried a previous version of the patch, go and download the last one and enjoy ALIEN as you have never enjoyed before.
    edited June 2018
    When was snap turning introduced, or has it always been an option? I feel a bit sick playing this so would like to turn on snap turning. How do I do this?
    NerveGear
    edited June 2018
    RedRizla said:
    When was snap turning introduced, or has it always been an option? I feel a bit sick playing this so would like to turn on snap turning. How do I do this?
    Last week or so. He also added an option for resetting the view (LB+RB) and a lot of fixes more.
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 540
    Neo
    I still haven't tried this yet and bought AI in a sale a while back. Is it best to fire it up in 2D first and set things up or does it work OK in VR from the off using the mod?
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,327
    Project 2501
    I still haven't tried this yet and bought AI in a sale a while back. Is it best to fire it up in 2D first and set things up or does it work OK in VR from the off using the mod?

Good question, can anyone answer this? And also where do we download your mod? 

Thanks in advance.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!