cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my laptop good enough for oculus?

VRBestBoi
Explorer
So i bought the Acer predator helios 500 and was wondering if it would work with Oculus rift

Specs:

gpu: gtx 1070 8gb
cpu: I7 8750h
16 gb ram

The oculus tool says my laptop is vr ready, but i want to know if i can do 3 sensors with a usb.c to usb 3.0 adapter without losing performance

Link: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-series/predatorhelios500
8 REPLIES 8

RattyUK
Trustee
Apart from the CPU (mine is 6th Gen) your spec is the same as mine and it works fine (with a USB C adaptor for 3rd sensor) but does get noisy due to being a bit warm, but nothing that can be heard above the Rift headphones.

Hopefully Acer made the cooling less noisy than Gigabyte 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

cybereality
Grand Champion
Sounds like it can work, though laptops can be a hit or miss (even if they have the performance). For the sensors, both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 are supported. You should be okay to start with 2 sensors, 3 sensors are only needed for larger setups or some 360 games.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

VRBestBoi
Explorer
@RattyUK thanks for clearing that up for me, now i can buy the rift without worries 🙂

RattyUK
Trustee
I'll go with @cybereality  though, laptops are a minefield, I suggest that the supplier you buy from has a fair returns policy, either that or see if you know, even through 'friends of friends' anyone who'd let you plug their toy onto your laptop.

But I will keep my fingers crossed for you and hope that Acer as as good as usual.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
Nice laptop but as others have said, even if the hardware is fully up to the task, that doesn't mean it will work. The problem tends to be the HDMI ports. Often times they are only attached to the crappy integrated graphics which is completely incapable of running a VR headset (any of them). If you buy it, be sure it will work before the return window expires as there really is no guarantee unless the manufacturer specifically states it is VR ready. This is why everyone here recommends a desktop instead. Those always have the HDMI port attached to the graphics card directly, so there isn't a risk of it not working.

VRBestBoi
Explorer
Ok i Will see if it Works and send it back if it doesnt

VRBestBoi
Explorer
@BeastyBaiter There is a sticker that says there Is support for WMR so i think the headset can work

VRBestBoi
Explorer
I checked the Acer page for the laptop and looks like it supports up to 3 external monitors