New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Stutter in Home

ZandilZandil Posts: 973
3Jane
Just curious if this is my side or the Oculus Home beta, in my Home environment i seem to get a lot of stutter looking around.
I have set the graphics from low to high and tried the auto setting and nothing seems to change, cleared my home environment to the default empty room and same issue, using the space with planets background.

Comments

• SwirlyMapleSwirlyMaple Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    I'm having the same issue, and looking around here and on Reddit it seems others are too. I've tried everything I can think of, from rolling back to old Nvidia drivers, disabling every background process, changing the graphics setting to low, changing CPU priority of Home, unplugging two of my cameras, etc. I can say for sure that the previous build did not have this issue. I just rolled back to the old one yesterday by opting out of the public test channel, which fixed it, and then today I got this same craptastic build back because they pushed it on the main branch now. :/

The stutter is not the typical thing you see when the GPU is being pushed too hard. It's application frames dropping, frequently, and I can force it to happen very easily by turning my head back and forth. I can set Home's graphic settings to low or high and it makes zero difference in this behavior. For some reason CPU use is pretty outrageously high for the home process (~40% on my i5, 60-70% total for Home+ovrserver+dash processes together), which seemed like the likely culprit... but the previously build had equally high cpu usage and none of this stutter.

FWIW, my system is a Zotac 1080ti Amp and cpu is an i5 7400. I don't know if this problem is a weird hardware incompatibility or something, but it must not be affecting everyone or there would be a lot more complaining here.
  • habokuhaboku Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Same here.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,251 Volunteer Moderator
    im on a MSI watercooled 1080 + i7 7700K OC + 3000mhz DD4 ram .. no visible stutter.

I do not run any superfluous background processes like GPU tweakers, browsers, mobo utilities (like ASUS AI suite, COrsair engine etc) I have all of that disabled as they can be resource hogs.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 973
    3Jane
    im on a MSI watercooled 1080 + i7 7700K OC + 3000mhz DD4 ram .. no visible stutter.

I do not run any superfluous background processes like GPU tweakers, browsers, mobo utilities (like ASUS AI suite, COrsair engine etc) I have all of that disabled as they can be resource hogs.
    It's just Home, all my games I run max settings and no issues in them. 
  • geebee666geebee666 Posts: 189
    Art3mis
    edited June 20
    Same issues with an i5 3570 and gtx970. 
    Was smooth on low and medium with slight lag on high but nothing like this.
    Basically makes home unusable :(
    As Zandil said all other apps unaffected, even desktop running in dash is fine.
    Brain Burst
    Yep, it's also just the home environment in my case. No issues with dash or my games . I wonder if everyone with this problem is using i5 processors...? My brother's setup is an i7 and he also has no issues. Even though my cpu isn't completely maxed, it sure feels like a cpu process bottleneck rather than gpu.
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 768
    3Jane
    Yup, me to (GTX 1080ti). Minor stuttering in Home. My performance meter shows green, green, yellow. Furthermore, the Library screen won't always come to the front when I hit the Library button in the latest build.

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,833 Oculus Staff
    If you experience any issue, please submit a bug report so we can look into it. You can do that in the Help Center (lower left of Oculus app) by clicking Provide Feedback. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    If you experience any issue, please submit a bug report so we can look into it. You can do that in the Help Center (lower left of Oculus app) by clicking Provide Feedback. Thanks.
    Done. Hope they can patch this one rather quickly, it makes Home a pretty unpleasant experience for those of us having this problem. Upgrading my CPU to an i7 would probably fix it, but given that it handled fine in previous builds, I think there's more to the issue than just hardware spec.
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 190
    Art3mis
    I've had this stutter in Home2 all the time. It helped a little one time i installed older NVIDIA drivers, but it can't be always the cure to revert other drivers to get ONE program to work right. I'm also experiencing Dash's lagging and stuttering every time in Home2 on the initial run, after using some game or app Dash works fine. Both of these problems doesn't exist in games or apps in VR. 
    [email protected], Rog Strix 1080 a8g in range 139MHz-1974MHz, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    And i STILL want non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 768
    3Jane
    The stuttering, for me at least, has gone away for now. Might suggest overlapping causes.
  • PARTYW00TPARTYW00T Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited June 21
    I experienced this issue and did just that and the response was "disable the beta". thats not a solution. I recommend you not waste your time seeking help from them in this particular scenario, because my home is still jittery and I'm now missing two hours i'll want back on my deathbed.

EDIT: im not advocating not submitting bug reports. just sharing what happened when I shared this one - I think they were already aware of it. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 25,833 Oculus Staff
    Can you upload your LogGatherer zip file? It may be big, so you can host on Google Drive, etc.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,203
    Wintermute
    I can also confirm this.  Just got 1.27....AGAIN for some reason....it shows up TWICE in my log.....1.27 a few weeks ago...non beta....and then a day ago another instance of 1.27.  However since then I too have noticed a huge stutter.  I would give you a screenshot of my install log but it will not fit on one pic.
    Brain Burst
    Can you upload your LogGatherer zip file? It may be big, so you can host on Google Drive, etc.
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    Here's mine. I did start messing with a bunch of stuff before this though so not sure how useful it is.

I see that I'm getting the "[Kernel:Default] Windows 10 system doesn't appear to have RiftDisplay.inf installed. Cannot use DXGI 2 path successfully." error that lots of other people have had.

I tried manually installing the driver, and also running the oculus-driver.exe file, and no success with either to install the RiftDisplay.inf. Is this even used by the Rift anymore, and if so has anyone figured out how to force its installation when Windows refuses? The last log I have that shows a successful install of this driver was on March 8.

Anyway, here's the LogGatherer file. Thanks for your help @cybereality
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0rp1rrc4w8balyu/Oculus_Logs_DESKTOP-VT1RCLV_20180621_114421.zip?dl=0
  • CothilianCothilian Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited June 22
    Home 2.0 has become unusable due to HMD stutter. I'm on a 4790k, 16GB and a GTX1080. For the last few days I've been pulling cables, checking sensors, reverting drivers, etc but nothing changes. Something is seriously wrong with the latest build. I have no problems inside games.
  • crayladcraylad Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    I am having the same problem. Stuttering in Home beta but not in games. It's OK in the old home. Re-installed Windows problem went then came back when 1.27 landed. I have i5 4670K, 16Gb and MSI GTX1080.
    3Jane
    Anyone had any luck fixing this, still the same for me?
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 486 Poster of the Week
    If you disable AA smoothing it gets rid of most of the stuttering. 
    3Jane
    with AA off it changes from a stutter to more of a flicker
  • tokkel1tokkel1 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited July 14
    Jup, me to (GTX 1080 i76700 ) Minor stuttering in Home. My performance meter shows green, green, yellow.on just one dot ,not 3 anymore just 1 . 
  • MadMax1998MadMax1998 Posts: 49
    Brain Burst
    Just dug this up to say I've experienced this stutter too for months and it's not going away. Opening Dash and looking around in Home shows that ONLY Home is affected while Dash is smooth. i5-2500K and GTX 1070
  • wanoennogswanoennogs Posts: 130
    Art3mis
    I was getting stuttering in Project Cars 2.  Turns out it was the nivida drivers.  A new driver stopped the stuttering.   I was only getting the stuttering in Project Cars 2.