New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Lots and lots and lots of screens in Oculus Home 2.0's um ... new screen feature!

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
Although very cool, would be great if we had a folder that could auto play videos, so they would start on their own on the screens when you get to your home.

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,198 Valuable Player
    Ouch....that poor GPU. LOL. 

VERY awesome though. Where did you get those extra large displays/monitors?
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2018
    Digikid1 said:
    Ouch....that poor GPU. LOL. 

VERY awesome though. Where did you get those extra large displays/monitors?
    They're in the special items section, under all the other categories. Only noticed them today! and thanks :)

Oddly enough, more screens seems to have very little impact on performance so far.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    going to have to check now - I haven't "found" any of them in my weekly object boxes, but maybe I don't have to? :smile:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • MonstaahMonstaah Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    Just curious mate, what media player are you using? it looks super cool with multiple vids playing at the same time, very nice. =)
    PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
    oooh it even has lights!! =)
    I’m guessing VLC. Best player ever. 
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 293
    Nexus 6
    @kzintzi : You get them automatically under the Special Items section in Home 2.0

I only spotted them myself last night too.  Very nice addition, but does need more customisability and the ability to remember what you have set as if you leave home and come back, you have to set up what the screen is showing again!

Also got the Retro Arcade machine which has the same features as the TV screen, was hoping for Space Invaders/PacMan/Asteroids etc :-)

Nice work though guys, another step forward!
    RIFT CV1
    RIFT S
    Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,705 Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2018

I need to check out these threads more often... didn't even know this was a thing! Very very awesome. I've got media files for arcade machine title videos, the screens that show before you put your coins in (as part of my MAME install). So presumably these can be used for the arcade cabinet??

Edit: I just noticed that vid shows what happens just after you put your coins in so not a good example!

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
    That’s awesome. Will check it out after work. 
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Monstaah said:
    Just curious mate, what media player are you using? it looks super cool with multiple vids playing at the same time, very nice. =)

VLC does not work for some reason

Windows Media Player worked and MPC-HC ... anything else refused to play, also full screen youtube not working correctly currently ... or anything full screen for that matter.

Weird 
  • MonstaahMonstaah Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    VLC does not work for some reason

Windows Media Player worked and MPC-HC ... anything else refused to play, also full screen youtube not working correctly currently ... or anything full screen for that matter.
    Yeah the reason I asked was cause I couldn't get it to work with VLC =/  and i'm just wanting to display screen savers but run a couple different folders on different screens like you did in your vid..  Thanks for the heads up though.
    PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
    oooh it even has lights!! =)
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    Teleport only after 2years already? I'm sticking with Home Classic.
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,988
    3Jane
    this is kind of cool but kind of gimmicky and pointless as well. wish they would spend more time on cv2 and actual games instead of this worthless bullshit, quite honestly.
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
    edited June 2018

Probably different people developing the software, the games and the hardware

just guessing

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
    3Jane
    edited June 2018
    how would that preclude management of those teams and reassignment of tasks and resources?

“just guessing” lol bro
    edited June 2018

taking people off one job doesn't mean they're going to be good at another job bro

doesn't mean the other job is going to be speeded up either

…. and finally (and most likely) they already have the right number of people doing the jobs you want to be done

Edit: and finally finally, the stuff you don't like is stuff other people like.

I know though, the more people like something...the bigger the temptation to run into the room and poop in the middle of the floor.

…..or maybe that's just me.

3Jane
    edited June 2018
    thats my whole point though. the fact that Cv2 is nowhere to be found, no aaa games from oculus or funding any good games, but hey, heres some pointless little gimmicky knick-knacks and shiny things in oculus home so you can shut up, because look, oculus is working for you

donald trump *wrong*

that to me doesnt say “they already have the right number of people doing the jobs” - where do you get that information, because you said so and think its true?

it doesnt exactly instill any confidence in oculus’ ability to do anything except... make shiny things and pointless gimmicks in home

pretty simple concept to understand.

the stuff i like isnt what other people like? so everyone is satiated with these home gimmicks and no one wants actual games or CV2. gotcha
    I thought my concept was pretty simple too
    3Jane
    edited June 2018
    thats because its based on assumption? you said:

”…. and finally (and most likely) they already have the right number of people doing the jobs you want to be done”

this is completely missing the point, thats why i posited the question in the first place, do you even understand how english works?
    edited June 2018

Isn't everything? point is if you disagree with my points... take them individually and say why.

This thread is about Home's new features and you're using that to criticize Oculus for other stuff, which for the reasons I've set out (albeit assumption) aren't affected by the work being done on Home's new features.

Edit: I guess the real point I'm making here is that there are two ways of asking for something. One way is to just ask, no need to even say please or shit. Just ask. 

The other way is to post an angry 'this is crap' type thing and Oculus should be doing this or that yada yada, with the thought that that gets results.

We see it all the time, realistically it's the type of post that I would ignore if I were Oculus. It's almost as if people use forums to release their anger or something! I know, weird! It also makes the forum a bit shite at times tbh. But hey ho, off to read some English books (capital E in English).

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,134 Valuable Player
    edited June 2018

@danknugz you're being quite the hypocrite in this case since you once were literally drooling all over SteamVR when they released updates to their own Home environment:

"SteamVR has a new Home and is just sensational"
    -Atmos73

"why oculus home is not like this always surprised me with how nonchalant they are, its been the same damn room for over a year, no customization options, not shit, just a reminder that they took your money and now they dont give a shit."
    -danknugz

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/520883/#Comment_520883

So you whine when Oculus Home is a single room and a lesser experience compared to Steam Home, and then whine when they literally make it "better" than Steam Home. You just seem to hate nice things.

danknugz said:
    how would that preclude management of those teams and reassignment of tasks and resources?

“just guessing” lol bro

Both Facebook and Oculus maintain specialized teams for Research and Development. This is how Facebook can successfully run its Social Media platform, Instagram, and Oculus. From your posts in this thread, you seem to think that it is somehow smart and effective for a company to take every possible resource and throw it at one problem (e.g. stop all work until there's a CV2).

To quote you, 
    donald trump *wrong*

Small specialized teams is the way to go. Every major successful organization running a Tech Shop does it this way: Amazon, Microsoft, Netflix, and Facebook. I know this first-hand, but I'm sure all this is lost on you since your back to nonsensical rhetoric like,
    "this is kind of cool but kind of gimmicky and pointless as well. wish they would spend more time on cv2 and actual games instead of this worthless bullshit"

Let's be clear, when Steam released Gimmicky Pontless Worthless Bullshit in their own Home environment, you fell in love with it and were bathing in its glory.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 776
    3Jane
    edited June 2018

I need to check out these threads more often... didn't even know this was a thing! Very very awesome. I've got media files for arcade machine title videos, the screens that show before you put your coins in (as part of my MAME install). So presumably these can be used for the arcade cabinet??

Edit: I just noticed that vid shows what happens just after you put your coins in so not a good example!

Beyond that, is there any reason why you can't actually run a MAME emulator on the arcade monitor? The Internet Arcade should work as well.
    https://archive.org/details/internetarcade

Definitely going to try this tonight.
    edited June 2018

I wish there was! Sounds like the arcade cabinet in Home is just a screen though (for media files), not a front end for an emulator. Maybe... maybe.... someone will find a way to stream to a Home screen, then you could run an emulator in the background and stream from it.

Or maybe a function for a future update!

…they'd have to take more people off CV2 development though ;)

• RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 1,172
    Wintermute
    "You can't please all of the people all of the time", but the new bits in home make it more fun - doesn't stop me playing games but adds to the overall time-waste that VR & PC gaming is in a great way...

As for AAA titles, why expect Oculus to develop them?  I use a Logitec HOTAS but don't scream at them for not producing any games I can use it on!

(I have never claimed to be productive, well not since I retired early >:) )
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, MSI MPG X570 Edge, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.
    Rift S
    Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)
    edited June 2018
    DeadlyJoe said:

Beyond that, is there any reason why you can't actually run a MAME emulator on the arcade monitor? The Internet Arcade should work as well.
    https://archive.org/details/internetarcade

Definitely going to try this tonight.

Wait wait… turns out you can play arcade games on this thing very easily.

Just got round to having a look and it turns out you can embed your desktop on the arcade cabinet screen, then all you have to do is run MAME full screen. That's it!! Thought they just played movie files.

Would love to show a vid cos I just played Discs of Tron on it. Not sure what software you use to capture the Rift with @LZoltowski but maybe you can clue me in!

Edit: I mean I can capture video of the mirrored window but if I mirror the window it appears on the desktop then mess up the MAME full screen! is there a way just to record the Rift headset content by any chance???

• PIXELATEDPIXELATED Posts: 242
    Nexus 6
    Your room reminds me of going into the John Lewis store way back in 2025 to choose a TV...

Just need the scratch an'snif headsets for the perfume counter and it'll be Christmas again for you (-:

I know, I know, yr just showing off your 'manor' <grrrr envy emoticon>
    Win 10 Pro, GTX 1080, Asus Z170 Deluxe, Nvidia 391.35
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 776
    3Jane
    edited June 2018

Wait wait… turns out you can play arcade games on this thing very easily.

Just got round to having a look and it turns out you can embed your desktop on the arcade cabinet screen, then all you have to do is run MAME full screen. That's it!! Thought they just played movie files.

Would love to show a vid cos I just played Discs of Tron on it. Not sure what software you use to capture the Rift with @LZoltowski but maybe you can clue me in!

Yup, can confirm works well with the Internet Arcade archive in Chrome. The only problem with Internet Arcade is that their controller implementation is janky and several necessary buttons don't get mapped to the controller, such as "start game". So you have to start the game on the desktop. But I was able to play Outrun and a couple of other games without too much hassle. A native emulator would work better.
    Edit: I mean I can capture video of the mirrored window but if I mirror the window it appears on the desktop then mess up the MAME full screen! is there a way just to record the Rift headset content by any chance???

Yes, the program you want is called OculusMirror.exe and is located in the oculus installation directory here: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-diagnostics\OculusMirror.exe

Here's a GIF if me playing Outrun on the Internet Arcade. To get sound from the browser you need to change your audio target to "Headphones (Rift Audio)". I played with a bluetooth gamepad, worked fine except I had to start the game from the browser since the start function doesn't map to the gamepad.