cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASW ghosting image on any movement

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have the following problem after the update: after some time playing DCS image starts ghosting all over the place (i.e. ghost copies of the image will appear on movement, as in very bad motion blur effect).
Dash will behave very strangely freezing and displaying black screen every couple of seconds.
Turning ASW off through oculus tray tool will fix it for when I turn my head, but effect still persists if I move forwards of backwards.
It seems that either game-Dash transition, or loading screen in the game triggers it. Kinda looks like it starts happening after playing for some time. Restarting oculus software helps, but only for a couple of minutes, then it would return. Reconnect helps too and seem to give a better result than restart.
I don't really play anything at this point so can't really say whether it's an issue specific to DCS, but it was all fine and dandy prior to the update.
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
I should also try reinstalling the software completely, just to be sure.
Also forget what I said about re-plugging the HMD. It'll comeback in a few minutes (the same as in software restart case).

Anonymous
Not applicable
It looks like load screens in DCS trigger it. They are very low fps (like any loading screen in a sim, freezing for every couple of seconds), and this breaks ASW somehow.

jasonofthestorm
Honored Guest
I'm getting really similar effects with Echo VR and other games. ASW keeps breaking and I'm getting caught around 70-75fps with unbearable juddering and/or double vision in both eyes. Turning ASW off helps somewhat, as does finagling with the screen mirror of whatever game I'm in, but this is making it impossible to show my friends a game and have a full screen mirror so I can see what they're doing. Messing with the debug tool and OTT just gives me all sorts of mixed results. When it works, it works great, not sure why it isn't more consistent because I'm definitely not throttling or anything. Real bummer.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Any updates on this? This haven't been fixed or changed in any way, sometimes ASW breaks even when using dash desktop. The only fix is either restart the software, or disable-enable ASW programmatically (either by Ctrl+Num1 or OTT).

Just to mention - I've tried swapping sensors and rotating them to find out possible faulty one, also I've changed the cable (not for this particular issue, but still); it's been like a month and I can't really play anything that have FPS issues without hitting those sweet Ctrl+Num1-Ctrl+Num4 every time FPS drops to zero (often caused by loading screens, for example).

I guess this doesn't affect too many people, but since I can't see any other issues with headset, and given that it looks like a purely software issue, I'm hugely disappointed in the oculus. Guess I'll be getting vive on the next gen.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have ghosting to. It was all ok before spring 2018. Does oculus team doing anything on this?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've submited support ticket. Let me see how will they respond. If they don't fix, I'll fecking throw away the rift.

kojack
MVP
MVP
ASW naturally has visual flaws, since it's an approximation trying to fill in missing info to generate the between frames. (Game makes frames at 45Hz, ASW guesses what the other frames would be to get 90Hz). Some situations show it worse than others though.
I really can't stand it in Elite Dangerous, it makes the menu selection bar corrupt every time it moves up or down. I have to turn asw off as soon as I start ED.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable
How do you turn of ASW?

kojack
MVP
MVP
Press Control-Numpad 1.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2