New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

If you wear glasses - ways around it?

superkermitsuperkermit Posts: 19
NerveGear
https://vr-lens-lab.com/

No more hassle with glasses that don’t fit. Let your VR headset wear glasses so you don’t have to.

I was thinking of getting my eyes tested (just for the Oculus use) and getting a set of custom made in between lenses to fir on the rift.

Is this company the only one that does it?

Any other options?

Comments

• ToriessianToriessian Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I have a set of the lenses from VR Lens Labs, so here are my 10 cents on them:

They are a little loose inside the headset, you'll have to make sure they are in place when you put on/remove the headset. They include some rubber "spacers" but I don't think they help a ton. MUCH better than my glasses. I've read a few reviews of the lenses though that talk about distortion, I don't see it myself, but I don't have a very strong prescription.

There is supposedly a 3d printed clip type thing you can have made too, but I am have any direct experience.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,708 Volunteer Moderator

I've post this a couple of times @superkermit it's my solution but obviously you need a spare pair of glasses.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,265 Valuable Player
    My solution was a little raticle. Contact lenses that I wear only for the rift. Glasses in my playstation vr are very comfortable.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,708 Volunteer Moderator

Yeah I've worn contact lenses before but I have quite dry eyes so they never seem super comfortable especially when it's warm... get's pretty warm in the headset so I shied away.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,484 Valuable Player
    Some people have had problems with the lenses falling out from Lens Lab but mine have been fine. It's down to different Rifts being different shapes and sizes, albeit only very slightly.

Lens Lab have also started doing thinner lenses with an elastic strap which can also be used when skiing or snowboarding.

There's also another company or two doing them too I think, people have mentioned them on Reddit.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,277
    3Jane

Any other options?

Buy a first generation Samsung Gear VR that has some focus hardware, wait for a second generation PC VR headset that has some focus hardware, tinker the CV1's faceplate to make it wider : I bet your glasses can fit in the CV1 itself, so it's a poorly designed faceplate problem rather then a CV1 problem. But unfortunately no company is selling a wider version.
  • lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 348
    Trinity
    These are great, had then a couple of months now: https://vr-lens.eu/oculus-rift-lens-inserts.html
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,484 Valuable Player
    These are great, had then a couple of months now: https://vr-lens.eu/oculus-rift-lens-inserts.html
    Thanks for that, I knew there was another company doing them but couldn't find their site. I might check these out when my prescription changes next month.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • superkermitsuperkermit Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Just looked at both sites.

I have emailed both VR glass manufacturers, asking what I should ask my optometrist when I go for an oculus rift specific eye test this week.

Any opinions?

• lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 348
    Trinity
    You need the prescription that gives you good distance vision. I am short sighted (without my specs anything beyond about 14 inches is blurred) so I went with the prescription for my everyday glasses ( driving, walking about etc) . Hope that helps.
    Cheers, 
    Dave
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • Bigtime88Bigtime88 Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    I use vr lens lab lens. I have varifocal lens glasses as my close up and distance vision is fecked. With the lens lab lens fitted to my Rift the picture quality is perfect and I don't notice any distortion. I also use contact lens for sports & gym etc but the lens are better for sure
  • ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 540
    Neo
    edited May 2017
    I currently wear contacts to use with my Rift. Does using these fit in lenses create any extra glare or do they steam up in between the lenses? Would be nice not to have to worry about putting in contacts as I get dry eye too, especially if I'm a bit tired and it often seems like a waste of a set of lenses if I just want to wear them to play for an hour or two.

I'm leaning more towards those vr-lens.eu ones, as I've not been overly impressed with what I've received from the VR Lens Lab so far as regards their covers and replacement interfaces. The quality and fit has been quite variable.
    NerveGear
    A great forum btw. My rift arrives in about a week :)

NerveGear
    edited June 2017
    I have a set of the lenses from VR Lens Labs, so here are my 10 cents on them:

They are a little loose inside the headset, you'll have to make sure they are in place when you put on/remove the headset. They include some rubber "spacers" but I don't think they help a ton. MUCH better than my glasses. I've read a few reviews of the lenses though that talk about distortion, I don't see it myself, but I don't have a very strong prescription.

There is supposedly a 3d printed clip type thing you can have made too, but I am have any direct experience.
    Found one reseller on ebay, anyone know any others?
    NerveGear
    I found the 3d clip on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Oculus-Rift-Adapter-Frame-for-VR-Lens-Lab-Lenses-/142391930424

Has anyone ordered one?

Should I get my optometrist to make the lenses instead of VR labs and have them fit the 3d printed ebay thing ?
    NerveGear
    I currently wear contacts to use with my Rift. Does using these fit in lenses create any extra glare or do they steam up in between the lenses? Would be nice not to have to worry about putting in contacts as I get dry eye too, especially if I'm a bit tired and it often seems like a waste of a set of lenses if I just want to wear them to play for an hour or two.

I'm leaning more towards those vr-lens.eu ones, as I've not been overly impressed with what I've received from the VR Lens Lab so far as regards their covers and replacement interfaces. The quality and fit has been quite variable.
    Have you ordered the EU lenses to compare?
  • FabfaceFabface Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hey guys - I am the one selling these adapter frames for the vr-lens-lab lenses, linked by superkermit (thanks for that). I guess I don't need to tell how bad the vr-lens-lab adapters are, but I am actually very happy with the lenses themselves - so one day I made this adapter for myself, showed it on a closed forum and received quite some interest in purchasing them - so I made them available for each IPD that the Rift supports (58mm-71mm) and sold them only in the iRacing forum first but now also put them up on ebay. They are 25$ (including worldwide shipping). If you have any questions just let me know.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute

I've post this a couple of times @superkermit it's my solution but obviously you need a spare pair of glasses.

I have done the same but I bought a pair of glasses for the job.

https://www.selectspecs.com/cheap-glasses/

got the Savannah 8121 - Black for £6 with lenses. Job done!

Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
    NerveGear
    I have ordered the adaptor and will provide feedback.

• AntigollosAntigollos Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have ordered the adaptor and will provide feedback.

Hi Superkermit! =)

Say, can you tell us news about the 25$ adaptor? 

Thanks in advance! 
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    If they include that dynamic focus thing in Half Dome in the next Rift, you might not have to worry about glasses since it should be able to be calibrated to include vision correction.
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,277
    3Jane
    Superkermit posted that a year ago.

Thing is even the best pair of VR lenses will only fix the problem for one user.

If you plan to share your VR headset, the best thing to do is to start by buying the headset which provides the widest available faceplate. And if you already purchased your first generation high-end VR headset... well you're out of luck.

Under the understanding that the CV1 has the most narrow faceplate width of any high-end VR headset I'm aware of, and that the HTC Vive Pro's faceplate is even wider then the HTC Vive's faceplate.

Faceplate width is typically NOT provided by manufacturers, but any serious reviewer will be quick to point out how well a faceplate fits his casual glasses (or even his own head) into a VR headset.
  • gcoggergcogger Posts: 23
    Brain Burst
    These guys also do prescription adapters and lenses, and I've generally seen them recommended over the Lens lab ones.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Widmos adapters are better than Lens Lab, much better fit for the rift.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • RavengerRavenger Posts: 47
    Brain Burst
    Widmos adapters are better than Lens Lab, much better fit for the rift.
    I've got these and they are excellent. Easy to fit, great vision, and have transformed my use of the rift. It's so nice to be able to put the rift on and off without mucking around with glasses.