cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Huge PAK files in the oculus directory

oh_cripes
Honored Guest
I've recently been running low on space on my hard drive and I found a very large .pak file in the oculus directory. "C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-worlds\Home2\Content\Paks\Home2-WindowsNoEditor.pak" is 6gb. Any idea what this is or if it can be moved to another drive? I'm guessing it's to do with the home application, but come on, 6gb! That's taking the mickey.

23 REPLIES 23

You'd make a great dodgy salesman LZ

I actually want to invest in a 1TB M.2 drive .. im running on standard EVO's at the moment, a friend of mine has it and its so zippy!! ...

I changed from an Evo 850 SSD to the 950 M.2 and there's an improvement... I just didn't bother taking before & after start-up times for example, which I should have done really. I put my work type software on the M.2 also... like CAD & Adobe stuff and it's now half-full so 1TB would be good. Especially if we get many more worlds and assets added to our Oculus Homes paks!

But the other advantage is now having the 850 as a gaming SSD, I just transfer whatever game I'm currently into onto that. Really makes a difference to games that have lots of scenery loads, like Fallout or Deus Ex... and the OCZ Vertx 3 before that is now my flight sim SSD.

Anyway, if there's a request to have a choice of where we install our Oculus system program files, I'm all for it.

BananaCat
Honored Guest
They should do it like steam. Let us choose which environments we want and download em. The smaller Oculus home is the better in my opinion. Its buggy as all heck to for lots of users and often requires a reinstall or repair. The faster we can download and install the better. 

cercata
Expert Protege

BananaCat said:

They should do it like steam. Let us choose which environments we want and download em. The smaller Oculus home is the better in my opinion. Its buggy as all heck to for lots of users and often requires a reinstall or repair. The faster we can download and install the better. 

I have 2GB of steam environments ... how can I remove them ? I never used them

And about the Oculus shitPak files, no statment from Oculus about that ?
The fill our SSD with crap maybe we never use ?

RattyUK
Trustee
My .pak files are only a little over 5GB, am I missing some interesting bits? 😛

Gone are the days when software was only a MB or 2 - even Nvidia drivers are approaching half a GB so no surprise that something so graphics oriented is large, even the WinSxS folder can grow to 20+ GB, most of which is 'protected' and will just sit there even after a system disc cleanup.

But then, my SkyrimVr  folder is a mere 28.2 GB... (with another 2.1GB for the saves!)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

LZoltowski
Champion

RattyUK said:

My .pak files are only a little over 5GB, am I missing some interesting bits? 😛

Gone are the days when software was only a MB or 2 - even Nvidia drivers are approaching half a GB so no surprise that something so graphics oriented is large, even the WinSxS folder can grow to 20+ GB, most of which is 'protected' and will just sit there even after a system disc cleanup.

But then, my SkyrimVr  folder is a mere 28.2 GB... (with another 2.1GB for the saves!)

Middle Earth Shadow of War is around 100GB !!!!

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

RattyUK
Trustee

Ooooo!  I've not got that one...  yet >:)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

LZoltowski
Champion

RattyUK said:

Ooooo!  I've not got that one...  yet >:)

It's really good, huge game .. hours and hours of slashing fun.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

BryBry_78
Honored Guest
My Home2-WindowsNoEditor.pak file was 10GB.  I deleted it, and it still works, you just won't have the Oculus home visuals.  You still have the dashboard. 
I also tested its impact on system resources.  I'm not sure if when you start a game if it closes the Oculus home so it isn't using the resources.   
With the file       CPU 30%  RAM 5.2gb  GPU 30%
Without the file  CPU 15%  RAM 4.1gb  GPU 10%

autoexec_bat
Explorer
I just moved the 10 Gig .pak file to externl drive. So I have an option to put it back if I want to.

CalcCalcCalc
Honored Guest

I just moved the 10 Gig .pak file to externl drive. So I have an option to put it back if I want to.

Similarly, I moved the 10G .pak file from my ssd to hdd.
But then I created a symlink for it in the directory it was originally in.
My home experience was unchanged.
You can follow the instructions in this link to do the same https://www.maketecheasier.com/create-symbolic-links-windows10/