cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upon startup i get Fatal Error: Medium has crashed

Unityboy
Honored Guest
Medium was working fine until a few days ago.
I got a displayport to hdmi converter for my 2nd monitor and that caused both monitors to be unstable, going on and off, or displayed no signal at all. This is the only notable change I can think of. I'm using one monitor via displayport (no converter) and a second via DVI now with no issues. 

I tired a number of fixes but none work for me including: 
making sure i don't have overclocking software running
cleaning my system of all things oculus and reinstalling 
getting rid of all ad blockers
reinstalling graphics drivers

I'm hoping that looking in the right place in the oculus logs could shed some light on the issue? Can anyone tell me what I should be looking for? 

Much thanks.    
19 REPLIES 19

Sypherx
Honored Guest

What video card are you running and what's the driver version? Maybe just attach your dxdiag and we can poke around?

I have a GTX 1080ti Driver version 388.31 (latest version)  On a Windows 10 Pro 64 OS.  I've attached my dxdiag.  

Sypherx
Honored Guest

Are you trying to run this using re-vive? Not seeing anything strange in your setup asside from the vive camera showing up and it looks like one of your Oculus drivers is unsigned. 

No i'm not.  I do have a Vive headset connected to my PC too but I use my Rift when I use my Oculus apps.  I don't use Revive. Also, how do I get the driver signed if it is necessary.  I have many oculus apps and they all work except Medium

MattHickman
Rising Star
Medium is one of only a few apps that uses OpenGL so frequently weird hardware or driver issues can manifest in Medium and not other Rift apps. I would try unplugging the vive (that it shouldn't cause any issues I know of but we've seen some weird ones) and try uninstalling the Oculus app and reinstalling. We're still digging around but nothing obvious so far. If you reproduce the crash can you note what time and timezone you crash at? It will help us pull the online crash report.

Sypherx
Honored Guest

Medium is one of only a few apps that uses OpenGL so frequently weird hardware or driver issues can manifest in Medium and not other Rift apps. I would try unplugging the vive (that it shouldn't cause any issues I know of but we've seen some weird ones) and try uninstalling the Oculus app and reinstalling. We're still digging around but nothing obvious so far. If you reproduce the crash can you note what time and timezone you crash at? It will help us pull the online crash report.

Ok I unplugged the Vive and reinstalled all of oculus and it still doesn't run.  Here are the logs from the Oculus log report

Swarmrider
Honored Guest
Hi, got the same issue here - Quill works fine, same all of my Steam apps.
Medium crashes upon start. It worked fine before the last update.
Brand new Asus VR ready laptop, 16GB RAM, 1060GTX, no overlocking, no other apps than Steam and Oculus. Got this laptop as my demo machine.

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer
@Swarmrider Since it's a new computer, it may be possible that you need to make a Medium folder in My Documents (this could be a problem with computers with multiple users and Administrators).

In addition, you may also need to update to the latest graphic card drivers. Try to stop the Oculus Runtime service, uninstall and reinstall my GFX drivers, and then start the service once more. Let me know if that works for you.

codegrad
Explorer
Played Medium when I first got it for quite a while.  Loved it.  Come back 2 weeks later (and 4 days after an update) and now I get this on every start.  I've rebooted.  I've reinstalled Medium.  I'm not reinstalling the Ocululs app because I assume that means I'd have to re-download every app (too many!).  But I saw someone did that and it didn't work for them anyway.

I noticed most of these posts are from 2017... until June 29th when two more popped up.  Did the latest update break something?  No issues on any other apps.  Seems like a release bug.

jessicazeta
Heroic Explorer

You may want to try one of the following:

• Please make sure you’ve updated to the latest graphic card drivers (NVIDIA 398.36, AMD 18.6.1 at this writing). If you think you have updated, try to stop the Oculus Runtime service, uninstall and reinstall your GFX drivers, and then start the service once more.

• Please delete your entire Preferences folder in My Documents/ Medium and restart Medium.

• It may be possible that you need to make a Medium folder in My Documents (this could be a problem with computers with multiple users and Administrators).

If none of these work, can you list your PC configuration (GTX, OS) as well as headset (Vive, Oculus, or anything else)?

codegrad
Explorer
GTX 1080 (latest driver), Windows10, Oculus Rift
Uninstalled Medium and reinstalled.  Installed latest updates.  Tried to run with and without a Medium folder in Documents.  Still getting the error after every attempt.  Only thing I didn't try was unintall and reinstall my GFX drivers.  I'll wait to see if other are reporting this issue before I start jacking with that.  Thanks

Swarmrider
Honored Guest
Thanks! Drivers made it!