cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling the "Enter VR" message

SpaceDave
Protege
This has been mentioned in a couple of the threads about Kiosk mode but I don't see any solutions. Is there any way to get rid of this message? Or at the very least, have a longer timer so it doesn't come on after I've just removed the headset for a minute?

I find the "Enter VR" screen to be a constant minor annoyance in my own use, but it's worse at work. I use it in a public kiosk setting where the user doesn't need a controller at all. The "Enter VR" screen is the only thing preventing the GO from working perfectly in this environment. I should point out that my VR users sit in a chair that is in a fixed position and there's never any need to reset the view. If it wasn't for this issue I'd be ready to take the plunge and order 30 more headsets but this issue is holding me back because it makes the GO rather impractical.

In any case, forcing the user to go through this screen after just taking the headset off for a moment is too much IMO.
34 REPLIES 34

replayreb
Explorer

If the sticker thing works, that is great. Another temporary work-around idea I had was could you just set the remote up in the kiosk? You could maybe even secure it in place so the users can't move it if they don't need to use it anyway for your purpose. That would at least allow them to be able to press the button to enter the Go in the first place. Not an ideal solution, sure, but it could at least work if Oculus doesn't have a way to turn off that message currently.

The sticker works great for my purpose which was to be able to pass the Go to someone else in the room to take a quick peek at what I'm seeing without having to teach them how to use all of the controller functions. Also works great for just being able to take the goggles off for a second to check my phone or take a drink without having to go through all the rigmarole to resume.

relaxculus
Expert Protege
But drain battery/use screen if you dont use for 5-10-20 minutes!!
This should be switchable, just like the "everyone have to watch at least once" warning/safety video on the gearvr (or rift, i dont remember).

FireLadyFilms
Honored Guest
Adding onto this thread. Only workaround I have found is put it into Developer mode on the Oculus App settings on your phone then any volume button will work to act as the re-calibrator and make that enter VR screen go away. WARNING: we tried this and put a giant X sticker on the button with a sign and directions. Nevertheless because the image shows a controller people ended up not understanding, wanting a controller or pressing volume down so volume ended up being low or accidentally pressing the power button. Oculus please help with this! it is a serious detriment to showcases particularly catering to the very not yet VR savvy people you need to acquire as customers.  

noemis
Protege
Same here: in a presentation of a 360 opera there'll be an event with 30 Oculus Go next weekend. Many people (first time VR-headset user) will be switching headsets, and it's all just about watching a 360 video. No controller interaction needed.
But it seems, that there is still no way to disable this "Enter VR" (in german: "VR starten"). 5 or more assistants will be needed walking around the chairs and explaining:
"OH, this is your first time using a VR headset... yes, put it on the head, ok great... now, before we could start... let me search the connected controller... #27... here, so please take it for a second and long press this button... NO, below... no... do you see..? Have you pressed long?... Ah, OH... maybe you short pressed it after long press. You are in the menu screen... could you please remove the headset... Yeah, I've to start the app for you again... ÄH, sorry. YES, it is a little bit complicated. Why? Mh, let's see: There is a very big company behind this headset, not able to integrate two essential features needed for soooo many public events, b2b tests, prototypes..."
This is so sad, that we (at least in Germany) still trying to get more and more people in contact with this new medium.
Developers and hardware producer like Oculus should enable
great first experiences... but giving developers not enough
possibilities is bad. Really bad! This isn't the first time and not the first thread developers complain about missing KIOSK features on the Oculus Go.
These features are: a simple "stay-always-in-certain-App" combined with "auto-start-app-on-power" and what I wrote about: "disable-enter-vr-screen" -> controller interaction like "Enter VR" should be standard but not mandatory. Not in all experience we need a controller!

I'm aware and thank @zapantis88 for the info with the volume key workaround if the Go is in developer mode, but still: this is not sexy!
Oculus, please give us needed options and we take care that people like your hardware and buy it. DEAL?  😉

@imperativity are there updated to this topic?

best regards
Simeon

noemis
Protege
@imperativity
These are sad news. The event was last sunday and it happend exactly what I predicted: this simple "Enter VR" screen and the controller usage, made it more complicated for assistants and first time users (= your possible customers)

So next time, if you're sitting in a round with the "oculus staff" and talking about oculus being consumer-media focused... maybe you can bring some of my arguments. Because of this restrictions, we already lost projects, because there was no suitable solution for an simple VR Event. Sad but true. Developers create stuff for customers. It isn't so bad, to support them with features, which could be a bool in the SDK: disableEnterVR = true;

Today a customer from 2016 (http://blendfx.com/rochlitz-vr) called me and asked, if there is meanwhile a better solution for a non assisted VR installation than the Samsung GearVR. And I've to say: NO. No one cares. And I have no idea why.

lithodomosleon
Honored Guest
As with the posters above, one of our clients is using Go for self guided tours - interaction uses a gaze cursor. Looking for ways to disable 'Enter VR' 

vanderfeest
Honored Guest
I did it! (Thanks to @robenghuse 's tip; You do need a computer always on in the same network)
  1. Enable adb over wifi on port 5555 every device
  2. On the computer, keep a list of ip addresses (you can automate it, get it with `adb shell ip route` before step 1
  3. For all devices run a thread that keeps calling `adb -s <ip>:5555 shell input keyevent 24` (this will timeout if the device isn't on, if it takes longer than 2 seconds to execute you can start it again immediately, otherwise choose your own delay, but it shouldn't need to be less than 10 seconds because then the device is running anyway)
The Enter VR screen will mostly show for just a fraction of a second when you put the headset on.
- No more battery draining stickers
- The device resets its orientation when putting it on
- You can use it without controller, so there's no risk of people exiting your app again
(If you do use the controller but just want the hard message for first-time users to be gone, you'd need to reset its orientation at least every day but probably also after a couple of users)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a noob suggestion: When it's possible to exit this start prompt with the press of a volume button (in developer mode), wouldn't it be possible to write an app that simulates this volume button press on startup of the app?

hmm... when I think about it myself, probably not, since the app is not running during the prompt... never mind I guess 😞

b71
Honored Guest
@vanderfeest how do you avoid the pop up of the volume UI ?

b71
Honored Guest
@vanderfeest When I do what you said, I have the app com.oculus.os.clearactivity that stop working