cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm hovering in the air about 6 feet above the ground - HELP!!

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star
I just moved my computer had to reset everything and now no matter how many times I run setup it shows me way above the floor so nothing runs right.  Resetting my height doesn't help.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!
29 REPLIES 29

CmdrRiker
Explorer
I am having the same issues. Running setup keeps making it worse. 6, 10, 20, feet in the air above my Home so I keep running setup over and over and now I am stuck at the "Set Your View in VR" step and when I put on the headset as instructed I see nothing. How long till we get this horrible mess of an "update" fixed? I can't even submit a bug report because I am stuck at this step. I also just added a 3rd sensor yesterday and I thought that was the reason. I am frustrated beyond belief. 

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

QB8Young said:

I am having the same issues. Running setup keeps making it worse. 6, 10, 20, feet in the air above my Home so I keep running setup over and over and now I am stuck at the "Set Your View in VR" step and when I put on the headset as instructed I see nothing. How long till we get this horrible mess of an "update" fixed? I can't even submit a bug report because I am stuck at this step. I also just added a 3rd sensor yesterday and I thought that was the reason. I am frustrated beyond belief. 

How long is the easiest question to answer.  Until they diagnose the issue and figure out how to fix it!  Hopefully it’s soon!  I’m sure they want it fixed too.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Tie some weights to your feet that might keep you grounded..

VRMageddon-1
Rising Star

RedRizla said:

LOL

CmdrRiker
Explorer

RedRizla said:

(I get the joke haha) However the exact opposite is needed. I would need to climb a ladder so my physical self is where my virtual self is.

Jimbostein
Honored Guest

QB8Young said:

Oh god I did the same thing! The worst part is, you could restart your PC, you could restart the oculus client, you could unplug/replug the rift in...and you still get this screen, with no way to go back. I can't even restart oculus set up because it loads into this non-interactive screen (with the whole scanning/guardian area approximately one pixel, 280 stories below me).

Before I screwed it up *that much* I attempted to switch from the beta client back to the normal one, and I had the same results. Every time I tried to scan my position, even if I reset and tried again, it kept pushing me further and further away from the playable area (or in the case of the non-beta client, made me look through a window into the sitting area). Changing height settings did nothing. Eventually, after switching back to beta client, I tried one more time, and I was so far away that all the UI stuff like dash and the different windows were shaking (which in other games I could contribute to being so far away from the play area that the program is having trouble with calculating floating point/physics). Of course, resetting the floor one more time made it so far away that I'm stuck like you, with a blank screen and music. And I know it's not the rift, because even though it's blank, it's not "non-functional dark" but "staring into the abyss" lit-up blackness.

Hopefully a new patch will magically fix it all, and I don't have to reinstall 260gb of stuff....

EDIT: Oh I don't know if this helps, but I noticed it kept popping up poor tracking errors for the headset, even though I've changed virtually nothing hardware-wise. I tried setting up without the 3rd sensor, and it kept telling me I was too far away from the front sensors and to try again. I wonder if this all was resulting from the problems of my virtual "presence" getting pushed far outside the boundaries of the guardian system. The headset itself seemed to operate normally when I put it on, despite the errors.

Coverop
Explorer
I'm also encountering the same issue.
Everytime I calibrate Oculus Rift, my character is 3 Meters above the ground and each time when I want to fix it inside VR It pushes me meters away (re-calibrate center position).

I hope you'll fix this quick.

CmdrRiker
Explorer

Coverop said:

I'm also encountering the same issue.
Everytime I calibrate Oculus Rift, my character is 3 Meters above the ground and each time when I want to fix it inside VR It pushes me meters away (re-calibrate center position).

I hope you'll fix this quick.

The issue with the latest Public Test Channel release. Turn off the Public Test Release and Rift Core 2.0 Beta. Then after the switch back calibrate all steps. If you like you can then switch back to Core 2.0 Beta... but do not go back to the Public Test Channel until the bug is fixed (or at all really)

Liquid_Shadow
Sightseer
Uninstall/reinstall worked for me. Clicked off beta core 2.0 too. 

MasterMaurizio
Honored Guest
same problem flitting in the air
sent feedback