cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK, need tips and advice on getting started... Rift in the mail!!

GMoneyVR420
Honored Guest
I just purchased the Rift and Touch.  I am trying to pick up what to do at first , set ups, games.  please let me know what to download , join and what not. i am currently searching myself. thanks.! 
13 REPLIES 13

xor1337
Explorer
My suggestion is that for games that run on both steam and oculus platforms, buy the oculus version, it has been my experience that they run better with less juddering.

Digikid1
Consultant
Take breaks often until you get used to vr. VR will make you feel weird the first few days. There’s quite a few good games on Oculus....not so much on steam. 

Use ACTIVE cables and repeaters if needed. 

Use teleport movement at first instead of free walking until you get used to vr. It WILL make you feel nauseous if you don’t. Also do it sitting down for the first little while. 

Recommended games:

Superhot ( be careful of your surroundings)

Star Trek Bridge Crew ( control the USS AEGIS with others online )

In Death ( bow/arrow game )

Beat Saber ( an awesome music game)

and most importantly.......HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
HIGHLY recommend: Chronos, Mage's Tale, Moss, and Lone Echo for games. For horror experiences/games, The Exorcist VR series, Dead Secret 1 & 2 (haven't played 2 yet but bough it).

Also, The Climb, Duck Season, and Witchblood get honorable mentions. Bought all three and really enjoyed them. I honestly believe its important to support developers right now to get VR going even more. Some really good experiences and games out there!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Use teleport movement at first instead of free walking until you get used to vr. It WILL make you feel nauseous if you don’t.

This isn't exactly true. Free walking is not what induces motion sickness, smooth turning is. Going straight can't make you sick, because "translating" and "staying still" is the same for your internal ears (zero acceleration in both cases).
Thus, staying still IRL while moving straight in VR can't make you sick (your internal ears don't feel any inconsistency).
I rather suggest free walking with snap turning. Most of the games allow that. It they don't, then indeed, teleporting is a good start.