cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D web content that almost works

bigcat1969
Protege
I'm having trouble finding functional 3D content on the web.

Poly.google.com has some cool 3D models and scenes, but everything is at my feet and I'm looking down at it from some distance with no way to move the image around.
At Sketchfab everything looks horribly low resolution while it looks good in their demo app that can't connect to their site.
Youtube 3D often puts all four corners of the image in the center of my view in a weird grid that looks like the crosshairs in a scope.

Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4

Niek030
Explorer
I'd like to hear some idea's too.

Roaster
Rising Star
The only thing that works is youtube half sbs I think, and it obviously plays in a window in front of you, not full screen

i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

CoolGamesNet
Explorer
3d.si.edu
Lots of detail and navigation and tours.

Cardboard on left menu doesn't work !
Use back if you get into out of curiosity.

NOTE: Screen Capture requires USB connection and developer mode enabled
adb shell screencap -p /sdcard/screencap.png
then
adb pull /sdcard/screencap.png

wsd41r0m1gzl.png
System 76 Lemur | 14.1 ′′ Matte 1080p IPS LED | laptop w/ factory mods
Intel Core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz | 8 GB DDR3 at 1600 MHz 
250 GB M.2 SSD | WiFi 867 Mbps 
Favoring Open Source -> Ubuntu Studio 18.10 for
 Nikon Keymission 360 & Web VR to Oculus Go

fisherro
Protege
For YouTube, you have to click the "full screen" icon. When the Oculus browser switches to "full screen" mode, there's a floating control that allows you to switch modes. 2D, 360, 180, 360-3D, 180-3D. I have also found that if you click on some of these multiple times it will switch into different "submodes". (e.g. 360-3D over/under versus 360-3D side-by-side) But you may still find videos that are in modes that the Oculus browser doesn't support.

Also, I haven't found a way to pause/play video except in 2D mode. So, I usually pause the video, switch modes until I find the right one, switch back to 2D to hit play, and then switch back to the proper mode.

Also, it looks like sometimes (like the Elton John VR180 videos), YouTube doesn't detect the Go as a device it can send VR180 to, so it just shows you what it would send to a regular browser.