cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Red Matter worth the current sale price?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I noticed that Red Matter is at $25 today. I still have a backlog of games to finish (Arizona Sunshine's DLC, Raw Data, SkyrimVR, Moss), so I'm in no hurry to add yet another game to the Library. Not to mention the list of VR Titles I have on GO. However, I do love puzzle games with a compelling environment (e.g. Lone Echo, Obduction).

I don't mind paying full price for a game either, but I'm curious if anyone here who has played Red Matter can could give me some feedback. I'm trying to decide if I should get it now or wait a few months when I clear my existing backlog.

Cheers!
26 REPLIES 26

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I'm also overloaded with games. I suggest just clearing out your backlog. I also need to finish Skyrim VR.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Same I have so many games to finish and I just pre ordered marvel powers!
WAAAGH!

Fuzzydragon
Protege
I finished red matter and I LOATH this game so much and I tend to overall like almost any vr game to some degree and I am a huge scifi fan but there are so many better games even in the same genre if you want a decent pretty puzzle game play Xing:The land beyond. as a puzzle game RM Feels like about as challenging as a coloring book, as a story its barely 3 hour run time chops its legs off and leaves it for dead in a ditch and, As a Horror it's pathetically not scary since there is no dying, you can rub your face in ""lethal"" space fungus for hours with no ill effects beyond the sinking feeling you just wasted $30.

MowTin
Expert Trustee

I finished red matter and I LOATH this game so much and I tend to overall like almost any vr game to some degree and I am a huge scifi fan but there are so many better games even in the same genre if you want a decent pretty puzzle game play Xing:The land beyond. as a puzzle game RM Feels like about as challenging as a coloring book, as a story its barely 3 hour run time chops its legs off and leaves it for dead in a ditch and, As a Horror it's pathetically not scary since there is no dying, you can rub your face in ""lethal"" space fungus for hours with no ill effects beyond the sinking feeling you just wasted $30.

I stayed away because it was yet another puzzle game but I was planning to get it at some point. Doesn't sound good at all. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Thanks for the feedback. I may wait until it's on a super sale then (e.g. $10). I actually played and beat Xing some time ago! I love Xing, and I do prefer challenging puzzles. I know what you mean about games that call their title a "puzzler" yet all you do is walkthrough the entire experience with your hand-held.

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
Off topic.. Zenbane, what did you think of Dead Secret Circle? 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

JeremyC85 said:

Off topic.. Zenbane, what did you think of Dead Secret Circle? 

I enjoyed it from a Storyline perspective. It was great to see that plot carry on so well. As a Puzzler, I wasn't as pleased with it in comparison to the first.

In the first game, the house itself is one big puzzle. Things progress in a very intellectual and compelling way. In the second game, there was an over-arching plot but not so much a grand puzzle. Just a series of puzzles as your progress.

Both games have a fun unique ending sequence though. Overall I'm a fan of the series and I'd definitely purchase a future release.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Quick update,

I ended up buying Form instead. And WOW! What an amazing VR experience this game is. Highly recommended puzzler. I'm going to write a small review on it.

It's a short experience (between 1-2 hours). But something that was truly made for VR, and showcases the type of experiences that go far beyond traditional gaming when a studio truly takes advantage of a VR platform.

BrokenSymmetry
Heroic Explorer
Thanks for the recommendation. Gonna buy FORM.