cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 Month Old Oculus Rift CV1 With Black Dots EVERYWHERE In The Left Eye. Never Dropped.

JoshFiricano
Protege
I treat this thing like my baby. It has never been dropped and never been exposed to sunlight. I just submitted a ticket and am based in the US. Am I going to have to buy a new unit? This has absolutely ruined my long weekend that I took to play Elite Dangerous with my new HOTAS that just arrived today. Great timing....

Is my unit still under warranty? I bought it in December of last year. I absoluitely cannot afford to pay for another one. I really could use some advice. I can't play half of my games now. I just want to cry. After a long day at work I just wanted to come home and relax, but now my heart is beating out of my chest and I'm so dissapointed that a $400 device would fail in 7 months.

I could really use some advice here. I'm terrified that I'm going to have to buy a new one. 

Here is a picture I took with my cell phone looking through the left lense.

77n0ezzulhcd.jpg
17 REPLIES 17

JoshFiricano
Protege

We have to try some steps first, before we can get to authorizing a replacement, so please be sure to reply to all the questions we ask and then we can move forward with the next steps. Thanks.

Yep I've completed everything and now I have to wait for him to get back to me. Any idea how long that usually takes? Also I want to prepare everything for RMA. Am I sending this back in the original box with the sensors and touch controllers? Thanks for your help!

cybereality
Grand Champion
It can sometimes take several days to determine the resolution. I don't want to give you the wrong expectation, we may or may not be able to provide warranty replacement, so please continue speaking with us on the ticket to see what options are available. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

JoshFiricano
Protege

It can sometimes take several days to determine the resolution. I don't want to give you the wrong expectation, we may or may not be able to provide warranty replacement, so please continue speaking with us on the ticket to see what options are available. Thanks.

Well that's bad news. You would think a $400 device should last longer than 7 months, no? I don't understand why I wouldn't get a replacement if it's under warranty and the device broke through no fault of my own. I take care of my things. That would just be REALLY bad business practice to deny a customer a replacement for something under warranty and I hope that isn't what you are hinting at because I don't have money to buy another one. Oculus should stand by their product and their warranty because doing otherwise would do nothing, but spoil their good name.

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee

Well that's bad news. You would think a $400 device should last longer than 7 months, no?

Yeah, hence the warranty

I don't understand why I wouldn't get a replacement if it's under warranty and the device broke through no fault of my own. I take care of my things.

Because they need to be sure you've done the basic troubleshooting that many people frequently don't do Things like "Make sure it's plugged in."    Or rebooting your PC. Then they get pissed off and demand a replacement.

That would just be REALLY bad business practice to deny a customer a replacement for something under warranty and I hope that isn't what you are hinting at because I don't have money to buy another one.

He's not even remotely hinting at that.

Oculus should stand by their product and their warranty because doing otherwise would do nothing, but spoil their good name.

You've been waiting what?  3 hours?  Give them some time, you're not the only person.

JoshFiricano
Protege
[Redacted while I learn to be patient]

JoshFiricano
Protege

TwoHedWlf said:

Well that's bad news. You would think a $400 device should last longer than 7 months, no?

Yeah, hence the warranty

I don't understand why I wouldn't get a replacement if it's under warranty and the device broke through no fault of my own. I take care of my things.

Because they need to be sure you've done the basic troubleshooting that many people frequently don't do Things like "Make sure it's plugged in."    Or rebooting your PC. Then they get pissed off and demand a replacement.

That would just be REALLY bad business practice to deny a customer a replacement for something under warranty and I hope that isn't what you are hinting at because I don't have money to buy another one.

He's not even remotely hinting at that.

Oculus should stand by their product and their warranty because doing otherwise would do nothing, but spoil their good name.

You've been waiting what?  3 hours?  Give them some time, you're not the only person.

You are completely correct and I apologize if I came off as rude, I'm just really worried about this. I know I'm not the only person and don't mean to act entitled or demanding. It's just worrying to have $400 + the hundreds I've spent in the Oculus store to be possibly turned to dust out of nowhere. I get what you are saying and I do need to be patient. It's just been a crappy day and I was looking forward to playing ED with my new HOTAS that came in the mail today, but that was crushed when I got home to a broken rift so I spent my might troubleshooting and dealing with this after a terrible day at work. VR is my therapy and the possibility of not having that anymore worries me. I'm sorry if I came off as rude.

JoshFiricano
Protege
To update, I sent them a picture of the serial number on the box, my invoice from my purchase, my shipping info along with phone number, and Oculus username to them last night. Now I'm in wait for the next step in the process. 

JoshFiricano
Protege
2nd update: RMA approved, I shipped the unit out this morning. Thank you and sorry for doubting you guys. 
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?