New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Pimax 8K MEGA Thread - First Reviews Now live

Comments

• Atmos73Atmos73 Posts: 3,128 Valuable Player
    edited July 2018
    There’s goes @DaftnDirect agenda.

Look, how many times does it need to be said, if you don’t like the thread - stay away.

Let the headset be released and if it’s rubbish then so what? You weren’t a backer so you lost nothing.

I think people are so defensive because they are scared Pimax might pull it off
    DK2 owner - Vive owner - Pimax 8k backer - Waiting for Knuckles on Valve time.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,263 Volunteer Moderator

I have a counter suggestion @Atmos

How about we all wait for @Shadowmask72 to receive his Pimax headset and listen to what he has to say? Thereby bringing the thread back to the purpose for which it was created.

Or does that sound like an agenda?

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,612 Valuable Player
    How about we all wait for @Shadowmask72 to receive his Pimax headset and listen to what he has to say? Thereby bringing the thread back to the purpose for which it was created.

+1

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    I’m a Pimax 8k backer @KlodsBrik you’re just a nobody trolling the Pimax thread.
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    You are being paranoid Atmos.

I most definately have an interest in Pimax.
     You got this idea of me being a hater of anything else but Oculus. You couldnt be more wrong, for a change. :smile:
    Be good, die great !
    Zenbane said:

All you did was pay Pimax money so that you could get another Oculus Forum Trawl Meal Ticket.

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    This thread is now re-opened at the request of @Shadowmask72 , please keep on topic, I am closely watching this thread. THINK before you press send. Thanks!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,835 Valuable Player
    edited July 2018
    Today's update:

Hi Enthusiasts,

Thanks a lot for your passion about Pimax 8K!

As mentioned in the founder announcement (link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimax8kvr/pimax-the-worlds-first-8k-vr-headset/posts/222575254), the obstacles that prevent us from mass production have been eliminated.

The team and the testers are working together to speed up the product iterations. We will ship the new hardware to some of the testers soon.

Only the beta tester reviews of the final hardware and software, and the official announcements, are the trustworthy sources of information.

Please stay tuned for the in-depth reviews of Pimax 5K and 8K from the testers when the closed beta ends!

This is a sign of confidence then that once this beta phase is over, they will allow the testers to review the M1, M2 whatever it is called. Only a matter of time now then depending on what hardware revisions have been made and how long it takes to ship these out and get the feedback.

Tick Tock!

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,148 Valuable Player
    edited July 2018
    There have also been some leaks regarding the testing issues that the M1 headsets had from the Beta testers:

https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8yiy2n/leak_pimax_8k_m1_testing_issues/

Although these should be taken with a grain of sodium chloride because these are unverified leaks.

I think anyone with any sense would expect tracking issues here and there (because both the Rift and Vive had them when they first launched and were resolved by software updates) but the big issue out of all those listed for me personally is the black levels. If they're REALLY bad I can see a lot of refunds being claimed.

Edit: Not sure what happened with the pics, here's the imgur album link:

https://imgur.com/a/KYEbgGO
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,835 Valuable Player
    edited July 2018
    I hope these are real and hope that Pimax are fixing them and have fixed some of the issues. It sounds like they are, but it means more delays (as expected). Thanks for posting.

I think Pacotaco's comment is the most damning and rightfully so. It paints a picture of Pimax totally misleading everyone.  Why go into mass production or suggest when there are glaring issues. However, Martin seems to think the issues are with the newer lenses. Paco hasn't tried these. It all sounds like a complete mess in there. I wouldn't be surprised if many people attempt to sell their pledges after reading these comments. It just looks like some issues will never be resolved. However, Martin Sweviver is confident that many issues have been fixed already since these initial impressions were posted.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Boom there goes the NDA. 

Its not good news but two things to take from this. My £402 investment is still just an investment because they haven’t shipped anything good or bad. Two there’s nothing else to buy for £402 unless you pay another £398 on a Vive Pro.

I think it’s safe to say Pimax are still experimenting so we won’t get a finished product for another months.

Heyho these thing happen.
    Sweviver 

edited July 2018
    Sweviver is always optimistic lol 

So it seems he’s expecting a new unit soon which should of fixed previous hardware issues and the unit he might be reviewing. 

But the VR road is never smooth. When my Vive arrived Valve we’re still tweaking software which went on for some weeks after.
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    well going on Swevivers above post it looks like there will be more open coverage soon.
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,843 Valuable Player
    brantlew said:
    Wide FOV optics are really, really, really hard to do well and brute forcing it can result in intolerable visual aberrations.   Distortion correction in VR does not follow textbook rules of optics and distortion naivety is the achilles heel of a large number of headset manufacturers.

Probably why Oculus is shooting for around 140 degrees with curved lens to keep the form factor close to the same, those guys I think really know what they are doing.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • PabbertPabbert Posts: 223
    Nexus 6
    dburne said:
    brantlew said:
    Wide FOV optics are really, really, really hard to do well and brute forcing it can result in intolerable visual aberrations.   Distortion correction in VR does not follow textbook rules of optics and distortion naivety is the achilles heel of a large number of headset manufacturers.

Probably why Oculus is shooting for around 140 degrees with curved lens to keep the form factor close to the same, those guys I think really know what they are doing.
    The Oculus 140 degree is a guaranteed safe bet that's going to work. But its not pushing the boundary's much.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2018
    Atmos73 said:
     Two there’s nothing else to buy for £402 unless you pay another £398 on a Vive Pro.

Heyho these thing happen.
    https://www.oculus.com/rift/

An upgrade to the Oculus Rift with £3 change to celebrate with a pint of Boddingtons!
    Let's not bait please Hiro. PLEASE
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,812 Valuable Player
    The investment by Pimax in releasing something against just sitting on their R&D money from the record breaking Kickstarter is starting to show. Also a level of animosity against Pimax - and a level of entitlement that no matter what they release there will be a line of naysayers. which is a shame, and a reflection on the VR communities about face in allowing companies altitude on the achieved goal.

The NDA is still in place for many of the early adopters, though we can expect a number of operators of Out-of-Home entertainment attractions using Pimax at a coming trade convention in the States, allowing real hands on.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    We all hope that. Though tempered with a worldly experience! 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,148 Valuable Player
    An update from SweViver and VoodooDE here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/8yk41u/sweviver_and_voodoode_talking_about_the_pimax_m1/

They both say that 'most' of the issues have been fixed. Tbh I would hope that they've ALL been fixed but that doesn't seem to be the case yet.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,083 Valuable Player
     good news that these issues are mostly fixed however it sounds like we are still a ways off a retail release just yet. Still better to release late and get it right. I am almost certain these kind of bumps have happened with all the vr hmds so far it's just that the people testing say the rift back in beta their lively hoods relied on them keeping quiet. 
    To be honest this leak is kind of irresponsible. What good can come of it? IF pimax were not actively fixing these issues then fine, but they are. Shame on who ever leaked it
    I posted in another thread (maybe another forum) that the plastic looked like that cheap brittle stuff that is libel to crack and that does seem to be the case. Hopefully when it releases it will have some form of rubbery coating on it to protect. (Hell just rip of oculus their coated fabric is genius with no downsides).
    All I can say is, esp after the debunking IF I was a pimax backer I would not be too worried. (I would have been before the debunk but that seems to be exactly what the leaker wanted. FUD spreader .
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    All I can say is, esp after the debunking IF I was a pimax backer I would not be too worried. (I would have been before the debunk but that seems to be exactly what the leaker wanted. FUD spreader .

I have to agree with your evaluation of the leak, and the position that backers should be taking - good news that the manufacturer is listening to criticism, and not being too draconian about those infractions of their NDA - but we also have to be mindful of the vested intentions of the leakers.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited July 2018
    Pimax have made some clangers and they’ve brought this situation on themselves imo. 

If you’re going to have testers don’t announce who they are because they’re going to pummelled by people asking questions begging for inside information.

Don’t pick testers who are youtubers who make money from shouting about the very thing you want to keep secret. If these youtubers are under NDA what’s the point of picking youtubers in the first place? I’m not saying Sebastian and Sweviver are not doing a good job but Pimax need to pay professional in-house testers. Remember Sebastians HTC sweatgate video where he spent the whole day seeking legal action against HTC? If some one suggested Senbastian to me I’d say F*** that.

Having a total news black out is bad especially when it’s been 4 weeks with no progress report. This leads to suspicion and heaps pressure on named testers. Eventually info gets leaked.

If you’ve already announced mass production you shouldn’t be making major changes or only announce major changes which have been implemented successfully. 

At the end of the day delays only cost Pimax money and Backers time.

There’s no point Pimax releasing a flop because who’s going to buy it beyond the Kickstarter? It needs to be good if Pimax want to charge a Premium and dodge the bargain bin. 

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,558 Volunteer Moderator
    I disagree with the professional tester idea. They should be given to the people who will use them the most. The end user Joe bloggs imo and let him test it to death. He'll know what's what !!!!
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.