cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Pimax 8K MEGA Thread - First Reviews Now live

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I've been on the fence about this and have some reservations about build quality and performance under heavy load, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives and I guess many others feel the same way. Now I never backed the Rift during its Kickstarter campaign (unfortunately) but I assume the feeling is similar where you're helping to forge the future of VR in some way, or at least like to think so. I consider myself an enthusiast and not the majority, therefore what's another £600 to experience the latest  in VR. Sadly, having Samsung not release the Odyssey here in the UK left me with an itchy wallet finger, a void that needed filling and with GO not releasing until next year either I thought the Pimax 8K will scratch the itch and might just prove to be pretty good too. I'm excited for it.

There is always going to be skepticism and no doubt a number of people will suggest I am backing a paperweight but, that's ok it's fully understandable to have those feelings and that prediction is always a possibility. But... if someone doesn't take the risk and we all play it safe, how can VR move forwards - I guess we've already taken risks with past VR investments in some way or another including with the Rift. I've never claimed any loyalty to anyone having owned The Gear VR (still have that knocking around somewhere) DK2, Vive, Rift, PSVR and come next year Pimax will be added to the list. However, I am interested like many of you agreed in the poll we did here a while back that certain things were important to improve on what we have now and it seems the Pimax 8K is offering some of those things on paper. 

I think once you can look past the silly marketing name (8K) and the hammerhead shark design and focus on what's inside, this HMD offers something many claimed they would like in the past but are not prepared to trust Pimax to deliver. I think a number of people would rather wait for a more established company (like Oculus) to offer a similar experience further down the line. All very understandable. But I am impatient, and whilst I use my Rift quite often I want more of what VR can offer sooner rather than later. 

So, (and the main reason for this post) is come Feb 2018 some point in 2018 I will gladly post impressions and comparisons without hyperbole and answer questions any of you might have. That said, I expect many others at the time will post their impressions also so there should be plenty of opinions going around from various sources.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
1,860 REPLIES 1,860

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
You are being paranoid Atmos.

I most definately have an interest in Pimax.
 You got this idea of me being a hater of anything else but Oculus. You couldnt be more wrong, for a change. ::smile:
Be good, die great !

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

I’m a Pimax 8k backer @KlodsBrik you’re just a nobody trolling the Pimax thread.

KlodsBrik is a great fella, and a well-received owner of Oculus products on an official Oculus forum. There is no stronger evidence that a Pimax thread doesn't belong here than the comment you just made to him.

Besides, I don't even consider you a real Pimax Backer. You only did it after ShadowMask announced his intent. You're a ShadowMask Follower, he's a real Backer. All you did was pay Pimax money so that you could get another Oculus Forum Trawl Meal Ticket.

The funny thing is... the one and only time you ever should have copied ShadowMask is when he sold his Vive lol. You didn't follow him when he made a smart decision, yet you followed him when he made a slight error in judgement. wtg

LZoltowski
Champion
@Shadowmask72 to prevent this thread from devolving into the 9th circle of hell any further, I am locking it. Please message me when you have an update for us or you would like this to be unlocked. Just shout and I'll switch it back on.

Thanks.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

LZoltowski
Champion
This thread is now re-opened at the request of @Shadowmask72 , please keep on topic, I am closely watching this thread. THINK before you press send. Thanks!
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Today's update:

Hi Enthusiasts,

Thanks a lot for your passion about Pimax 8K!

As mentioned in the founder announcement (link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pimax8kvr/pimax-the-worlds-first-8k-vr-headset/posts/222575254), the obstacles that prevent us from mass production have been eliminated.

The team and the testers are working together to speed up the product iterations. We will ship the new hardware to some of the testers soon.

Only the beta tester reviews of the final hardware and software, and the official announcements, are the trustworthy sources of information.

Please stay tuned for the in-depth reviews of Pimax 5K and 8K from the testers when the closed beta ends!

This is a sign of confidence then that once this beta phase is over, they will allow the testers to review the M1, M2 whatever it is called. Only a matter of time now then depending on what hardware revisions have been made and how long it takes to ship these out and get the feedback.

Tick Tock!

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Anonymous
Not applicable
There have also been some leaks regarding the testing issues that the M1 headsets had from the Beta testers:

https://old.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8yiy2n/leak_pimax_8k_m1_testing_issues/

Although these should be taken with a grain of sodium chloride because these are unverified leaks.

I think anyone with any sense would expect tracking issues here and there (because both the Rift and Vive had them when they first launched and were resolved by software updates) but the big issue out of all those listed for me personally is the black levels. If they're REALLY bad I can see a lot of refunds being claimed.

Edit: Not sure what happened with the pics, here's the imgur album link:

https://imgur.com/a/KYEbgGO

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I hope these are real and hope that Pimax are fixing them and have fixed some of the issues. It sounds like they are, but it means more delays (as expected). Thanks for posting.

I think Pacotaco's comment is the most damning and rightfully so. It paints a picture of Pimax totally misleading everyone.  Why go into mass production or suggest when there are glaring issues. However, Martin seems to think the issues are with the newer lenses. Paco hasn't tried these. It all sounds like a complete mess in there. I wouldn't be surprised if many people attempt to sell their pledges after reading these comments. It just looks like some issues will never be resolved. However, Martin Sweviver is confident that many issues have been fixed already since these initial impressions were posted.

brantlew
Adventurer
Wide FOV optics are really, really, really hard to do well and brute forcing it can result in intolerable visual aberrations.   Distortion correction in VR does not follow textbook rules of optics and distortion naivety is the achilles heel of a large number of headset manufacturers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

brantlew said:

Wide FOV optics are really, really, really hard to do well and brute forcing it can result in intolerable visual aberrations.   Distortion correction in VR does not follow textbook rules of optics and distortion naivety is the achilles heel of a large number of headset manufacturers.

Probably why Oculus is shooting for around 140 degrees with curved lens to keep the form factor close to the same, those guys I think really know what they are doing.

Atmos73 said:

Two there’s nothing else to buy for £402 unless you pay another £398 on a Vive Pro.

Heyho these thing happen.

https://www.oculus.com/rift/

An upgrade to the Oculus Rift with £3 change to celebrate with a pint of Boddingtons!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3