cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia’s GTX 11 Series embraces the VR “vomit-prevention standard”

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I tend to forget that cybersickness/motion-sickness is one of the leading causes of limited/slow VR adoption. So many people across the world get sick from VR. Obviously, anyone reading this post is probably not afflicted by VR sickness. In my case, it did impact me early on (back in 2016), but I worked through it daily until my symptoms were gone.

But the last thing a non-enthusiast wants to do is invest in a new tech that has a strong "vomit-inducing" potential. Thankfully, NVIDIA is here to step things up a notch:

Unnamed sources claim that Nvidia’s upcoming GeForce GTX 1180 add-in graphics card for desktops will likely include a proprietary connector for virtual reality headsets to support 120Hz refresh rates over a single cable. This port will likely be based on the current HDMI 2.1 specification given it’s widely accepted across manufacturers. Current desktop-based headsets support refresh rates of 90Hz, the vomit-prevention standard in virtual reality where the visuals are rendered at 90 frames per second to prevent motion sickness. This is why you need a somewhat-beefy graphics card to handle the experience.

There's been plenty of talk about VR Standards over the past 2 years. Personally, I'm happy that the "vomit prevention standard" is the first official one! lol

Full article:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/geforce-gtx-11-series-may-have-proprietary-vr-port/

227 REPLIES 227

LZoltowski
Champion
NIce. Yeah had motion sickness too for a while, I only realized it was gone when I played Lone Echo .. I was like ... hang on a minute! ... the went into a game with full locomotion ... AND NOTHING! I WAS CURED!

The proprietary connector scares me a bit, will NVIDIA licence this like G-SYNC? If so NO ONE will use it as it will add 20% to the cost of hardware.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

I've been fortunate and never had the sickness, even from the DK days. Good to hear about any developments for those that do.

Good to hear about 11 series developments period! 

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I'm hoping the 1180 gives a 30% boost in FPS. I was really hoping for a 50% boost but that doesn't look likely. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Not sure if 120 fps in 120 Hz will reduce motion sickness at all - I've been experiencing the opposite, especially in racing games, where 60+ fps in 1:1 fps/Hz-ratio increased both motion sickness and realism (the feeling of truly being present in the game world). When I got a plasma instead LCD some years ago I told my friends "that's because only plasma can show all 60 frames and let you feel them all in your stomach!". Going below 60 fps I don't experience motion sickness. I think that some low fps actually helped in Obduction (forcing SS 2.0) - a totally smooth 90 fps would probably stimulate my stomach too much - of course only after 2 or 3 hours non-stop VR gaming  😄

The totally smooth 90 fps when I first tried Detached was absolutely the worst and most motion sickness inducing VR experience I've had to date - after 30 seconds exposure to constant rotation I literally had to close my eyes and take some deep breaths - now I just consider that experience a valuable part of my astronaut training 🙂 I don't think that 120 fps/hz would have helped in any way... 

Personally I'd love 120 fps in 120 Hz, although the main effect may be to increase VR hardware requirements even more than today - not sure if that's a great message in order to make VR more mainstream... 

Truth told I'd love a GTX 1180, not because of 120 Hz, but just to help several of my games dipping less below 90 fps when using high levels of SS. Activating max details in XING: The Land Beyond I got 23 fps (twenty-three!), maybe 1180 will help me get 45 fps  😉 And Seeking Dawn simply begs for a GTX 1180, can't even go beyond SS 1.4 in that game.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nowt wrong with 30fps and a week of playing. Never play any Rollercoaster games is my advice!

flibberflops
Expert Protege
The biggest concern of the 1180  to the VR community will be the nausea inducing price!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Maybe I should go for another spin in Detached later tonight - it's my favorite nausea accelerator! I actually like to feel some games in my stomach - makes it much more real - if this happened to anyone in the real world, how many would not experience motion sickness?   😄

https://youtu.be/CGecTrjiRh0

Like this  😉

https://youtu.be/NM4nIOvBpe0

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

@RuneSR2, you're absolutely right about racing sims.

Motion sickness no doubt has the two causes. One cause being the contrasting refresh rate between VR & real life, and anyone who suffers sickness because of that would benefit from the refresh hike.

And the other cause is the contrasting sensation of no-G of the racing sims to the high-G we experience in real life. I get that same odd sensation on the track, especially when braking and you're natural reaction is to tense up your neck muscles. Anyone who drives has learned to expect those sensations even of they haven't raced at all.

I don't get that sensation in a flight sim though and I suspect that's just because I'm not a pilot so haven't learned to expect those real-life sensations. I wonder if real pilots suffer sickness more when they flight sim in VR.

Either way, it's just an odd sensation for me when VR racing, it hasn't caused sickness luckily.

Edit, maybe I should add a third cause... games that leave you without much control over your movement as in some space sims.

wanoennogs
Heroic Explorer

Zenbane said:

I tend to forget that cybersickness/motion-sickness is one of the leading causes of limited/slow VR adoption. So many people across the world get sick from VR. Obviously, anyone reading this post is probably not afflicted by VR sickness. In my case, it did impact me early on (back in 2016), but I worked through it daily until my symptoms were gone.

But the last thing a non-enthusiast wants to do is invest in a new tech that has a strong "vomit-inducing" potential. Thankfully, NVIDIA is here to step things up a notch:

Unnamed sources claim that Nvidia’s upcoming GeForce GTX 1180 add-in graphics card for desktops will likely include a proprietary connector for virtual reality headsets to support 120Hz refresh rates over a single cable. This port will likely be based on the current HDMI 2.1 specification given it’s widely accepted across manufacturers. Current desktop-based headsets support refresh rates of 90Hz, the vomit-prevention standard in virtual reality where the visuals are rendered at 90 frames per second to prevent motion sickness. This is why you need a somewhat-beefy graphics card to handle the experience.

There's been plenty of talk about VR Standards over the past 2 years. Personally, I'm happy that the "vomit prevention standard" is the first official one! lol

Full article:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/geforce-gtx-11-series-may-have-proprietary-vr-port/

How can cybersickness/motion-sickness be one of the leading causes of limited/slow VR adoption?  Until you try VR you don't know if it will make you sick.  I would say most people who haven't tried VR don't know VR has the potential to make you feel sick.  For that reason I highly doubt potential VR sickness is one of the leading causes of slow VR adoption. Plus we all know that for 99% of people who get VR sickness it goes away after you get used to VR.

Getting into VR is expensive.  You need a good spec PC and have to buy a fairly expensive headset as well as the PC.  That will be a leading cause of slow adoption.

Also you have a lot of (stupid) people who openly say current VR is shit, VR graphics are shit, etc.  These people stupidly say I am not buying a VR headset until we have 4k screens and 180 FOV.  See you idiots in about 2022 - 2024.  

Also there a lot of people out there who have never heard of the rift or the vive.  Also a lot of poeple havn't tried VR.   Those are other reasons for the slow uptake in VR.  Everyone who has tried my rift has been blown away.  Lots of people have gone onto buying a rift after trying mine.