cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggling in DCS 2.5 VR? Help has arrived...

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Have a look here...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3559425#post3559425

...and please don't forget to thank the guy - he's worked wonders and may be better yet to come  🙂

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2
18 REPLIES 18

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Have you tried night time in winter? I think it's better. Don't know what they did with the stars, though - quite some time ago they suddenly turned into really silly big white blotches.

When I flew both Deployment and Revanche campaigns in DCS World 1.2 (in Ka-50 and Su-25 respectively) both had night missions and both looked great in those missions.

*just checked my old AARs and those were flown in 2013.

falken76
Expert Consultant

nrosko said:

falken76 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't have problems in VR on DCS without a mod?  I have an I7 7700k w/ 16 gigs of ram and I have DCS installed on an internal SSD with nothing else on it.  I have a lower end card, a 1060 6gb.  I get 45 FPS pretty much constantly unless I'm on the ground at an airport with a lot of units placed around it.  I don't have the Anti Aliasing on, I have high settings for most things, I set Preload radius to 100,000, I have heat blur on and I don't change the PD at all, it's on 1.0 and everything looks good enough to me.  It plays smooth, I can track targets and get gun kills with no stuttering or pausing.  There are some graphic anomalies around the edges of the metal frame of the canopy occasionally but I don't notice unless I'm looking for them.

How does this game perform for others?  I would like to try the mod, but I don't want to make it not work in MP and I don't want to have to worry about repairing my install just to get back on.  I mainly play SP though, is the improvement absolutely night and day difference for everyone?  Or have there been some that just notice that things like Heat Blur disappeared and saw so little improvement you're not even sure there is a benefit?  Mine plays so good, I am curious if it will get much better.

yes but no pd no aa is not going to push your gfx. 
I can't run any game without PD too ugly for me. And also 45 FPS is not desirable 90 is. 

Ok I see.  Luckily for me I can enjoy a game for it's content and a slight change in graphics doesn't ruin the game for me, so that's why all this bitching about VR in this game makes no sense to me.  For me, No AA, No PD and 45 FPS still produces an amazing experience.

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yup - 45fps is just fine for me - and a hell of a lot better than a stuttering mess.

I was just watching the new MAC trailer:

https://youtu.be/yNWXWOWspYQ

...and I see they are still pushing VR in it - but yet they still fail to mention anywhere that a GTX1080Ti is the required spec (according to their own published PC requirements).

nrosko
Superstar

falken76 said:

nrosko said:

falken76 said:

Am I the only one that doesn't have problems in VR on DCS without a mod?  I have an I7 7700k w/ 16 gigs of ram and I have DCS installed on an internal SSD with nothing else on it.  I have a lower end card, a 1060 6gb.  I get 45 FPS pretty much constantly unless I'm on the ground at an airport with a lot of units placed around it.  I don't have the Anti Aliasing on, I have high settings for most things, I set Preload radius to 100,000, I have heat blur on and I don't change the PD at all, it's on 1.0 and everything looks good enough to me.  It plays smooth, I can track targets and get gun kills with no stuttering or pausing.  There are some graphic anomalies around the edges of the metal frame of the canopy occasionally but I don't notice unless I'm looking for them.

How does this game perform for others?  I would like to try the mod, but I don't want to make it not work in MP and I don't want to have to worry about repairing my install just to get back on.  I mainly play SP though, is the improvement absolutely night and day difference for everyone?  Or have there been some that just notice that things like Heat Blur disappeared and saw so little improvement you're not even sure there is a benefit?  Mine plays so good, I am curious if it will get much better.

yes but no pd no aa is not going to push your gfx. 
I can't run any game without PD too ugly for me. And also 45 FPS is not desirable 90 is. 

Ok I see.  Luckily for me I can enjoy a game for it's content and a slight change in graphics doesn't ruin the game for me, so that's why all this bitching about VR in this game makes no sense to me.  For me, No AA, No PD and 45 FPS still produces an amazing experience.

Oh i can enjoy the game & it looks fantastic i run it at 1.4PD but it certainly takes some hefty power to run it. The problem with 45fps any fast movement causes distortions, so a propeller or rotor blade. ASW was never designed to be permanently on it was designed to catch dips in frame rate. But i wouldn't understand bitching about it i'm not sure what people expect from such a complex game. If i'm honest i didn't see too much bitching about performance but people are always going to want to improve the performance. I will probably give this mod a go just to see if it helps. 

MowTin
Expert Trustee
@Brixmis 

What is MAC? Is it separate from DCS? 

I'm waiting for the 1180/2080 GTX before I go into DCS. I'm still learning how to fly WWII planes in IL-2.
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
There's an extended thread about it over at the ED forums - it's basically Flaming Cliffs 4 - with all the FC3 aircraft plus the extra ones you see in the video. So it's the newer aircraft at Flaming Cliffs standard (no clickable cockpits) plus parts of the Nevada and Persian Gulf maps (as well as the default Caucasus map).

It is not DCS arcade mode, as erroneously and repeatedly stated by the stuck up idiots of the community. It is not even remotely similar to the arcade mode in DCS World. Some operations are simplified - such as start-up being a couple of key presses, instead of the full clickable monty in the VC, as a good example of that. The flight models and weapons employment is the same as with fully modelled versions, so is radar etc in the MiG-21 and F-5E.

You can buy MAC and run it as a standalone sim (if you don't own DCS World), or you can buy it as a module for DCS World. FC3 owners will apparently get a good discount.

I use both full-fidelity aircraft and FC3 aircraft and I greatly enjoy both. I'll probably buy this, even though I own all the aircraft in it already (I don't own Persian Gulf). If just for the missions and campaigns that will come with it.

They are also finally releasing a dedicated server later this year - so I can put my old VR PC back to good use again! 🙂

PS just thought of a great example of these aircraft - IL-2 BoX. Exactly the same system of flying the aircraft. Yet no-one calls that "arcade"....

Here it is:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=215770

A lot of the usual crap in there, but also descriptions of exactly what's included

nrosko
Superstar
I tried the mod i think it does help, it's hard to tell though as i can't get the FPS counter working. 

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
You mean the RCtrl-Pause in-sim one? I used to have problems with that, but recently it has been fine for me.

I'm going to have a go soon (since getting it to work at PD 1.0 I didn't try this mod) - I'll see if the counter appears and let you know.

btw the mod has been updated - the new file is on that same page 😉

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
No - it's working fine for me (using the latest file):

4m2vb8gqaipn.pnge1li1z3zba59.png

0mfkuwmowy93.png

By the way - those artefacts seen around the edges of the screensprints are not visible in VR.

I've not seen an increase in framerates, yet, but then I also haven't tried to increase my pretty low settings.