cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Magic Leap Lightwear unveiled

kojack
MVP
MVP
https://www.roadtovr.com/magic-leap-finally-unveils-first-ar-product-magic-leap-one-shipping-starts-...

The Lightwear from Magic Leap has been shown. Well, shown as renders composited on photos of a person, but I guess it's better than we've had so far. 🙂
It uses a belt mounted computer and has a 6dof controller.

pc1ps3demwwq.jpg

15ucdzg31ryb.jpg

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
45 REPLIES 45

To be fair, No Man's Sky turned out ok in the end... it just took a couple years from the initial release to get there! then again I didn't really get into what was promised until after it had been updated a couple times.

I'm curious about this Zed Mini thing though.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
To be honest: I really hope it will NOT be a failure. There were to many large companys involved in this. Way too much money was thrown at that company. A failure of this size could harm the AR industry in a way that could kill it entirely.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
The controversy continues with ML.
That these guys thought that these demos would address concerns shows a level of arrogance or share bravado that explains how they managed to raise so much money.
At least we can now see who threw the first stone in their demise:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kCpYbgo4ok
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

kojack
MVP
MVP
Here's a few thoughts about that rock throwing demo.
The biggest flaw appears to be that the game part of the demo has no depth occlusion. No, I don't mean the transparency, all additive AR systems without a dynamic blocker like a clear/black lcd screen will be transparent.
Take a look:
3ex6z1hjfcx3.jpg
The hand is in front of the rock and monster, but both are visible.

We know it's possible, the ML has depth scanning. You can even see real time occlusion in the initial calibration of the same program:
feex1dc1emtm.jpg

So, is it maybe a technical limitation? A static environment like the couch and the bit where the rock hits the ceiling have time to scan depth. A fast moving hand may be too quick for them to pick up.
Or did the developers just not bother with occlusion for the whole thing?

Another flaw, look at the FOV. The video is already very narrow FOV. But in the shot below, you can see how soon the ML image is cut off:
mpyyafkhgfmb.jpg

Finally, it's clear they have a colour camera (or two), since according to Road To VR the entire video was recorded by the headset's camera (not through the wave guide screens). So why isn't the rock tinted to match the colour of the surface it was pulled out from? That seems really obvious.

Overall it just seems like a quick hacky demo I'd expect in an sdk as a simple demo to show off how the code works, not something to show the public after billions of dollars has changed hands.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
A great summation of the issues @kojack
Just had one of our associates do a similar thing for a client request on the ML against competition. I think the main reason for ML wanting to have their hardware locked away figuratively and metaphorically in a safe is to avoid questions about about the poor CPU selection and the unacceptable FOV (a reason for the form factor of the "Kermit" glasses). 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Wildt
Consultant
This product has weak sauce written ALL over it
PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
WMR: HP Reverb

Anonymous
Not applicable
We won't see an AR headset with a decent FOV for quite some time I think, and wise money would be on Oculus-Facebook to do it first given that they have more talent and more money to spend than everyone else.

This is precisely why I believe that Oculus haven't demoed any AR stuff. They're only going to show something when they have something that outshines the competition.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

We won't see an AR headset with a decent FOV for quite some time I think, 

I beg to differ - but agree if we are looking at only a purely consumer perspective.

In the commercial scene, we have four contenders that offer a great FOV for a AR (XR) environment - and HL are actually competing directly with these rather than looking at a consumer approach.

I have been asked to do a feature on these, but will just share one of the contenders:

Stormcloud - optics offer a transmission of >70%
4m4kao58yml3.png

Dilip
Rising Star

kojack said:

Here's a few thoughts about that rock throwing demo.
The biggest flaw appears to be that the game part of the demo has no depth occlusion. No, I don't mean the transparency, all additive AR systems without a dynamic blocker like a clear/black lcd screen will be transparent.
Take a look:
3ex6z1hjfcx3.jpg
The hand is in front of the rock and monster, but both are visible.

We know it's possible, the ML has depth scanning. You can even see real time occlusion in the initial calibration of the same program:
feex1dc1emtm.jpg

So, is it maybe a technical limitation? A static environment like the couch and the bit where the rock hits the ceiling have time to scan depth. A fast moving hand may be too quick for them to pick up.
Or did the developers just not bother with occlusion for the whole thing?

Another flaw, look at the FOV. The video is already very narrow FOV. But in the shot below, you can see how soon the ML image is cut off:
mpyyafkhgfmb.jpg

Finally, it's clear they have a colour camera (or two), since according to Road To VR the entire video was recorded by the headset's camera (not through the wave guide screens). So why isn't the rock tinted to match the colour of the surface it was pulled out from? That seems really obvious.

Overall it just seems like a quick hacky demo I'd expect in an sdk as a simple demo to show off how the code works, not something to show the public after billions of dollars has changed hands.

These flows already disturbed me too, created just too much hype and pouring of whopping amount of money and iron curtains on development sum up only for this disappointment?

<"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw0-JRa9n94">

Another thing is where gone that opacity of Robot demo, where robot was actually appearing like solid device? Wasn't their selling point in beginning was to create solid virtual objects like that elephant and whale they were not transparent....I think much gone through 2015 to 2018. What they are pushing towards consumer is not what they intended to sell instead what they intended could not be miniaturize so they took diversion to build something using track of what they were initially planing but not being as cool as what was initially planned. ... Sorry if this read too complicated, but don't have other wards to express what i intend. 

kzintzi
Trustee
I'm sure there will be many people who disagree (and I know I'm going to look a bit fanboi here but that's not my intention), but this is the sort of space that Apple end up exploiting and then go an "invent <insert tech here>".

the whole Zune/MP3 player thing, the smartphone, and then tablet space.. other players in the market try but bomb out for one reason or another, and then Apple swoop in and make it important to everyone on the planet.. noone asks what a Zune is anymore (except for my kids when we watched Guardians of the Galaxy 2), but just about everyone has owned an ipod.

same with smartphone.. iphones stole the day when PDA's had been around for years, and I'm sure there are a bunch of people who think that Apple invented smartphones.

not saying its a good thing or a bad thing, just something they're good at.

it'll be interesting to see how Apple implement all of this when they announce their option (and you can tell it's going to happen with the ARkit stuff they've been doing the past 18 months - gotta prime the environment with cruft :smile:)

[Edited to spell Zune properly)
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.