cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Pimax 8K MEGA Thread - First Reviews Now live

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I've been on the fence about this and have some reservations about build quality and performance under heavy load, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives and I guess many others feel the same way. Now I never backed the Rift during its Kickstarter campaign (unfortunately) but I assume the feeling is similar where you're helping to forge the future of VR in some way, or at least like to think so. I consider myself an enthusiast and not the majority, therefore what's another £600 to experience the latest  in VR. Sadly, having Samsung not release the Odyssey here in the UK left me with an itchy wallet finger, a void that needed filling and with GO not releasing until next year either I thought the Pimax 8K will scratch the itch and might just prove to be pretty good too. I'm excited for it.

There is always going to be skepticism and no doubt a number of people will suggest I am backing a paperweight but, that's ok it's fully understandable to have those feelings and that prediction is always a possibility. But... if someone doesn't take the risk and we all play it safe, how can VR move forwards - I guess we've already taken risks with past VR investments in some way or another including with the Rift. I've never claimed any loyalty to anyone having owned The Gear VR (still have that knocking around somewhere) DK2, Vive, Rift, PSVR and come next year Pimax will be added to the list. However, I am interested like many of you agreed in the poll we did here a while back that certain things were important to improve on what we have now and it seems the Pimax 8K is offering some of those things on paper. 

I think once you can look past the silly marketing name (8K) and the hammerhead shark design and focus on what's inside, this HMD offers something many claimed they would like in the past but are not prepared to trust Pimax to deliver. I think a number of people would rather wait for a more established company (like Oculus) to offer a similar experience further down the line. All very understandable. But I am impatient, and whilst I use my Rift quite often I want more of what VR can offer sooner rather than later. 

So, (and the main reason for this post) is come Feb 2018 some point in 2018 I will gladly post impressions and comparisons without hyperbole and answer questions any of you might have. That said, I expect many others at the time will post their impressions also so there should be plenty of opinions going around from various sources.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
1,860 REPLIES 1,860

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

Snowdog with all respect you can’t compare a Pimax 8k with the unnamed specs of an unnamed HMD with no release date.

That's why I said IF they do what I'm expecting them to do and why I said a POTENTIALLY rocky road ahead.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Snowdog with all respect you can’t compare a Pimax 8k with the unnamed specs of an unnamed HMD with no release date.

But the Pimax 8K has false specs (not true 8K) and no release date. Seems fair.

Atmos73 said:

Theres no release date for the Pimax quasi 8k no, but it’s going to be 2018 at least.

Bold mate.  Very bold.  I just don't believe they are telling us the truth - i didn't last year either.  I had hoped they could tell us the truth at this stage, the fact that they feel they can't is worrying.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Have to agree that I don't think the consumer will get MK2.2 by 2018 - though commercial we will get our units.
Unless we see another "December release" I think Pimax are aiming for a big CES reveal and launch.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Pimax are nowhere near the finishing line. I'd say they are half way through a full marathon mate.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Techy111 said:

Pimax are nowhere near the finishing line. I'd say they are half way through a full marathon mate.

To many pies you need to prepare for a marathon..

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can't believe that you STILL think that HTC are going to release the Vive 2 next year @Atmos73. Releasing these things is EXPENSIVE. Even if HTC displayed no business sense at all and decided to release three headsets in three years do you honestly believe that they can afford to do so?

I have my serious doubts that they can.

In fact it's pretty debatable whether they're still going to be in business next year tbh.

It's more likely that they've decided on a two year lifespan for their headsets. The Vive in 2016, the Vive Pro this year and the Vive 2 in 2020.

If they're planning on releasing the Vive 2 next year why on earth have they decided to release the Vive Pro this year? And at a ridiculous price too.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

I can't believe that you STILL think that HTC are going to release the Vive 2 next year @Atmos73. Releasing these things is EXPENSIVE. Even if HTC displayed no business sense at all and decided to release three headsets in three years do you honestly believe that they can afford to do so?

I have my serious doubts that they can.

In fact it's pretty debatable whether they're still going to be in business next year tbh.

It's more likely that they've decided on a two year lifespan for their headsets. The Vive in 2016, the Vive Pro this year and the Vive 2 in 2020.

If they're planning on releasing the Vive 2 next year why on earth have they decided to release the Vive Pro this year? And at a ridiculous price too.

A few months ago @snowdog - I would have agreed with you, but after the $2b fro Google, I would not be surprised if HTC release a "production revised" version of the Pro - that combines manufacturer cost saving and slimline design - that ties in with the Valve announcement for their VR plans. This would not be for me a Vive2 - but would be enough of a development to keep the momentum going, and address the complaints about the Pro's pricing.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
I expect most of that $2bn was used to pay off debts tbh. And if they do release a Vive Pro Pro next year it's still going to suffer from the same problems that the Vive Pro has - it's only matching the resolution of the current highest resolution headset, the Samsung Odyssey, and has a low FOV compared to the Pimax and soon to be CV2.

We'll see more players releasing headsets next year too, probably 1.5K and 2K headsets.

If Oculus do what I'm expecting them to do then I can't see anyone with any sense buying a Pimax or a Vive Pro or a Vive Pro Pro next year.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

snowdog said:

I expect most of that $2bn was used to pay off debts tbh. 

Oh definitely - from what I have seen of the recently replaced HTC exec pool, I expect some serious debts were filled by a large part of that investment. Shame, I think those previous management should have been hauled through the coals before they left - what a mess. 

We'll see more players releasing headsets next year too, probably 1.5K and 2K headsets.

I would have agreed back in February, but sources seem to point to a less than high interest level to enter the high-end VR scene. LG have reiterated they are looking at their new system as commercial only for the short term. While there is no inclination from any of the WinMR manufacturers for a Gen2 announcement. Even Samsung Odyssey seems to be in a holding pattern beyond initial release (though those that brought it feel more than happy!)

If Oculus do what I'm expecting them to do then I can't see anyone with any sense buying a Pimax or a Vive Pro or a Vive Pro Pro next year.

Not sure I think Oculus "will do what is expected" - the SC is the key focus, especially now developers have prototype system in their hands. I think many will be surprised by the final performance of SC compared to GO - so a need for a high-end solution will always be there - if Oculus would push a CV2 solution in 2019.... Just cant see it!

With that a Pimax or a Vive Pro 2.0 (consumer) would have a open goal for at least 12-months?