cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steady Stroke doesn't work when Clay Tool is set to Surface in Medium 2.0

Parhelion
Protege
Curious if i'm the only one going through an issue where Steady Stroke isn't working when Clay Tool is set to Surface.
10 REPLIES 10

InkyTheOctopus
Heroic Explorer
Same here....
https://www.oculus.com/medium/artists/inkytheoctopus/

Sterling77
Rising Star
I found this doesnt work and cant remember if 1.3.3 was i will check it and see 🙂 not sure if its an easy thing - the surface stamp is following the surface normal point vector - that would mean the steady stroke would have to track and correlate  the position within the SDF on the fly. 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

Parhelion
Protege

Same here....

ah, okay. so at least i'm not the only one going through this.

I found this doesnt work and cant remember if 1.3.3 was i will check it and see 🙂 not sure if its an easy thing - the surface stamp is following the surface normal point vector - that would mean the steady stroke would have to track and correlate  the position within the SDF on the fly. 

thanks! i appreciate you checking to see if it doesn't work for you either. 

IbegU2Rift
Protege
Same problem here

Parhelion
Protege

Same problem here

thanks for replying!

Parhelion
Protege

^ is there any way to add this "Steady Stroke on Surface" problem to that list? Is there a specific thread where I should be posting our issues? or any way to get some confirmation that the team is aware of this? Just curious if I'm doing this right.

Jellybit
Explorer
I don't know if this will help any of the programmers, but here's a video of the bug in action. This most definitely worked in Medium 1, as I used it all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuLDio3LozA

It definitely worked in 1.3.3. Yes it's not an easy thing, but it worked well. I used it all the time, as did many other sculptors.

duncankeller
Protege
Hey all, thanks for your responses. 

When we added the code for grid snapping and axis snapping, we realized that our code for constraints was pretty unruly, and did a lot of work to get it to a good point where the new snapping types was possible. The skinny of it is that in that process we broke this.

The "probably too much information" version is that surface constraint + steady stroke worked in the sense that people used it and were OK with the behavior, but didn't work in the sense that it was kind of built on top of a mountain of rickety struts. We pretty much had to change how this behaved, and I'm really sorry that is interrupted some workflows. To be honest I didn't realize how many people relied on it.

The "even more too much information" version is that the clay you put down goes through a long chain of transformations before it actually does the clay operation, including grid and axis snap, steady stroke, line and plane constraint, surface constraint, and tool tip adjustments. The order that you apply these in had a really big effect on the final result you get. And in 2.0 that chain of constraints is more complex than ever. But with this many options you can flip on and off, it's important that the chain is clear and linear from a code perceptive. Tampering with that code is a big deal, because with even tiny changes it has possible trickle-down affects to pretty much everything in the clay application chain.

We are thinking about ways to fix this, I just wanted to get across that it's not really as simple as "just make it work the way it did before" but we're putting a lot of thought to it and are hoping to get something that everybody is happy with

BiteyThing
Protege
The info is appreciated. Thanks 🙂
Reduces the disappointed if/when it's not in the next update 😉