cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Windows Security Update Breaks Oculus

Starscrye
Honored Guest
Hey guys, I just want to post here that after the windows security update today 7/13/18 my Rift was only displaying in one eye. I was terrified that it physically broke so I went through all the steps, tried reinstalling oculus software and all that jazz, but after reverting my windows updates back that fixed it. Hope this helps anyone else having this problem.
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am having trouble trying to get mic in E:D since I had previously used Run As Admin. My first clean OS install with 1708 worked fine and upgrade to 1803. Needed a Clean OS with 1803 for another program to store an Activation Code as it has just a shot at it and needs Admin made viewing at Login Screen for this. This Synced all my Microsoft Settings and seems to have inherited the old E:D mic bug from before. Unless it was that only this time I was lazy to not disconnect all my USB devices upon installation and they conflicted as Rift has no ID (VoiceAttack finds it by name to resolve), my Creative XFI Soundcard CTAUD2K.SYS plus Rift's OCULUS119B.SYS don't have signed drivers. However, also on this install I did not switch OFF Windows Defender.
My last resort is to try again with no USBs then install 1 by 1 and without anti-virus for Oculus install.
Hopefully it isn't being transported by any Microsoft Syncing.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP

Starscrye said:

Hey guys, I just want to post here that after the windows security update today 7/13/18 my Rift was only displaying in one eye. I was terrified that it physically broke so I went through all the steps, tried reinstalling oculus software and all that jazz, but after reverting my windows updates back that fixed it. Hope this helps anyone else having this problem.

What 13 July 2018 security update???  There has been nothing issued since 11 July 2018 for win10 1803 and this has not caused any problems with my system or Rift.  Are you on the Windows Insider program?  If so, I suggest to opt out of it.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
He might be taking about the one from 11th July

http://www.tweakguides.com/

Didn't give me any issues, though.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

SerVitor
Expert Protege
Confirmed it does break it.  Fixed by rollback to prior to the windows update...ofc i cant keep doing that hrmm
i5-4690k 16 gig Ram Win 7 64bit 8 gig ZOTAC AMP EDITION GTX1080

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
You mean it can break it. Obviously there are those of us it hasn't affected.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Now there is an almost duplicate thread here; 
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/67641/windows-security-update-on-the-11-7-18-breaks...

Sounds like this is a Windows 7 problems, not Windows 10.  Maybe the mods should delete this thread since it does not explain that properly.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers