cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nvidia’s GTX 11 Series embraces the VR “vomit-prevention standard”

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I tend to forget that cybersickness/motion-sickness is one of the leading causes of limited/slow VR adoption. So many people across the world get sick from VR. Obviously, anyone reading this post is probably not afflicted by VR sickness. In my case, it did impact me early on (back in 2016), but I worked through it daily until my symptoms were gone.

But the last thing a non-enthusiast wants to do is invest in a new tech that has a strong "vomit-inducing" potential. Thankfully, NVIDIA is here to step things up a notch:

Unnamed sources claim that Nvidia’s upcoming GeForce GTX 1180 add-in graphics card for desktops will likely include a proprietary connector for virtual reality headsets to support 120Hz refresh rates over a single cable. This port will likely be based on the current HDMI 2.1 specification given it’s widely accepted across manufacturers. Current desktop-based headsets support refresh rates of 90Hz, the vomit-prevention standard in virtual reality where the visuals are rendered at 90 frames per second to prevent motion sickness. This is why you need a somewhat-beefy graphics card to handle the experience.

There's been plenty of talk about VR Standards over the past 2 years. Personally, I'm happy that the "vomit prevention standard" is the first official one! lol

Full article:
https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/geforce-gtx-11-series-may-have-proprietary-vr-port/

227 REPLIES 227

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

How can cybersickness/motion-sickness be one of the leading causes of limited/slow VR adoption?  Until you try VR you don't know if it will make you sick. 

People have tried it, and reported motion sickness. It's not just about the Vive or Rift, but all VR devices.

Just one example from back in 2016:
'Resident Evil 7' in VR is a sweaty, puke-inducing masterpiece
I never thought I'd get sick in VR. Man, I was wrong.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/15/resident-evil-7-vr-sickness-ps-vr/

I'm not going to do all the search, but I encourage you to check out the year-after-year reports of puke-inducing experiences. This has happened for mobile VR as well, including those who tried it at movie theaters and other similar locations. It doesn't matter of it happens with PCVR or Mobile VR or ConsoleVR, the fact is that many people have tried it and got sick. And those that didn't try it, end up reading reports like the one I just posted and so they avoid it. And the reason people avoid it after "hearing" about the puke stories is because many people already suffer from various forms of motion sickness today.

The problem of motion sickness has not gone away entirely. We just stopped talking about it. But the problem is very real and prevalent, hence the standard that NVIDIA is addressing.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

How can cybersickness/motion-sickness be one of the leading causes of limited/slow VR adoption?  Until you try VR you don't know if it will make you sick. 

People have tried it, and reported motion sickness. It's not just about the Vive or Rift, but all VR devices.

Just one example from back in 2016:
'Resident Evil 7' in VR is a sweaty, puke-inducing masterpiece
I never thought I'd get sick in VR. Man, I was wrong.
https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/15/resident-evil-7-vr-sickness-ps-vr/

I'm not going to do all the search, but I encourage you to check out the year-after-year reports of puke-inducing experiences. This has happened for mobile VR as well, including those who tried it at movie theaters and other similar locations. It doesn't matter of it happens with PCVR or Mobile VR or ConsoleVR, the fact is that many people have tried it and got sick. And those that didn't try it, end up reading reports like the one I just posted and so they avoid it. And the reason people avoid it after "hearing" about the puke stories is because many people already suffer from various forms of motion sickness today.

The problem of motion sickness has not gone away entirely. We just stopped talking about it. But the problem is very real and prevalent, hence the standard that NVIDIA is addressing.

No matter the prevalence of motion sickness among VR users, I think it's great that arguments in the population against VR are being actively fought. 3D TVs and 3D movies also got a lot of criticism for inducing headache and nausea - personally I'm very happy that 3D movies survived (for now) and we still got big budget movies released in 3D. In short, I do believe it's a great thing to confront all VR criticism and not to think it'll just go away in time - because the opposite may just happen. A bad apple may easily spoil the barrel, unfortunately. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:
No matter the prevalence of motion sickness among VR users, I think it's great that arguments in the population against VR are being actively fought. 3D TVs and 3D movies also got a lot of criticism for inducing headache and nausea - personally I'm very happy that 3D movies survived (for now) and we still got big budget movies released in 3D. In short, I do believe it's a great thing to confront all VR criticism and not to think it'll just go away in time - because the opposite may just happen. A bad apple may easily spoil the barrel, unfortunately. 

I like your overall point, but the fact that you compared VR to 3DTV's is frightening. The last thing we should want is for VR to follow the path of 3DTV's  lol

Digikid1
Consultant
Hey I LOVE my 4K LG 3DTV.  Passive3D over Active 3D ANYDAY!!!!!

That said.....I think that VR will stick around for quite a while....even more than the 3DTV craze......at least until they make REAL Hologram ( not  the fake ones that you have to wear a headset ) technology and build us a REAL Holodeck.

CMDR Riker personalities not allowed in them.......AT ALL!  LOL!!!!

I hope they do this for real....the only real downfall is that you would also need a 120Hz Monitor to go with it and they are bloody EXPENSIVE.  Yes I know that it is not required but still.....

LZoltowski
Champion

Digikid1 said:

Hey I LOVE my 4K LG 3DTV.  Passive3D over Active 3D ANYDAY!!!!!

That said.....I think that VR will stick around for quite a while....even more than the 3DTV craze......at least until they make REAL Hologram ( not  the fake ones that you have to wear a headset ) technology and build us a REAL Holodeck.

CMDR Riker personalities not allowed in them.......AT ALL!  LOL!!!!

I hope they do this for real....the only real downfall is that you would also need a 120Hz Monitor to go with it and they are bloody EXPENSIVE.  Yes I know that it is not required but still.....

But Minuet!!
Image result for star trek riker holodeck

Anyway, back on topic, what is NVIDIA waiting for! .. One would hope they would announce them soon, I want to upgrade.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Riker getting up the duff was hilarious in TNG lol

Still one of my favourite programmes that I re-watch every few years.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Death of 3DTV made me sad. The tech was finally where it needed to be 4k passive. However IF VR died I would be proper gutted. I am confident it won't ..... But I was confident about 3DTV too. I guess having a fantastic 3d TV setup in my home (70 inch) blinded me to the fact many were stuck with suboptimal 40 inch screens. IF I was to be negative I suppose it could be equivalent to being in an echo chamber of high quality rift/vive vr on a high end rigs when the majority are making their opinion of vr using Google cardboard. 
This is where go comes in. Cheap but at the same time NOT crap
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I'm not trying to knock 3DTV's, but the global integration isn't the same as the PC or Smart Phone. And that's what I want for VR Hardware.

Here's my view:
  • Virtual Reality HMD's reach sales quantities that match mobile devices.
  • The Virtual Reality platform reaches integration efforts that match mainstream Operating Systems.

3DTV is mostly Entertainment. Maybe it can help with Education and some Medical applications, but overall it is limited to pure Entertainment. And even at that, it never took off:

Shambling corpse of 3D TV finally falls down dead
LG and Sony dropping support from their 2017 TVs. Will it ever rise again?

https://www.cnet.com/news/shambling-corpse-of-3d-tv-finally-falls-down-dead/

I have a  monitor with NVIDIA's 3D Vision on my main PC. So I'm not trying to hate on 3DTV. I'm simply observing the global perception and market success (or lack thereof) that it ended up yielding. Over the past 2 years of mainstream VR, the overarching perception of VR's "slow growth" is that... VR is going to be just like 3DTV.

It's all good though; by 2020 this type of stuff should (wishful thinking) be well behind us!

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Never had any kind of M Sickness myself thankfully no matter how many times i have tried to induce it while in VR, no doubt due to the fact i was brought up until i was age 12 living 13 stories up in a high rise flat, and in really high winds you could actually see water in any container start to gently move from side to side, or any loose hanging cords from say window blinds. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Atmos73 : 
VR has no advantages over 3D apart from immersion

I can't believe we're hearing this from a VR enthusiasm. You traitor xD!
Of course VR has many advantages over 3D.
- Immersion is not an advantage to put aside! It's like you said "a house has no advantage over a cave except comfort."
- The 3D is much more natural in a headset than on a 3DTV. Admit it: 3D does not feel natural. That's because it's not: whether we talk about active 3D or passive 3D, it is made artificially (using polymerized light or other stuff). 3D in a VR headset is made BY THE BRAIN, you can't do more natural than that.
- Bigger FOV, ESPECIALLY if you use the Pimax. Playing a normal game in 3D, your horizontal FOV is limited to 90 ; in VR it is much bigger.
- Positional audio and motion gaming are much more relevant in VR than in normal-3D.
- VR allows a shitton of things that 3D does not.
. Natural interactions.
. Gameplay features that can't work without VR (you can't play a game like Echo;Arena on a monitor, even if it was implemented in the game).
. Natural camera movement (since our camera is actually our head).
. Do we really have to list everything?

Basically, there is no difference between a normal app and its 3D version (EXCEPT for the 3D, of course). This means all the differences between normal app and VR are valid when comparing VR to 3D as well.
Between a normal app and a VR version of the same app, you have all those advantages I listed above.
And all those points are also true when comparing VR and 3D app.
Thus, VR has many advantages over 3D.

Finally, someone has to say this : these "clunky headsets" are not less comfortable than 3D glasses. They are actually MADE to be comfortable, whereas comfort was definitely not a field of study for 3D.
I'm not saying VR headsets are perfectly comfortable though. Especially the Rift and the Vive. With those two, you have to tweak the position of the headset a little. But they can definitely be comfortable. As for 3D glasses, there is nothing to tweak : they just hurt the nose and the ears and there is nothing to do about it.
I'm not saying 3D is bullcrap though. I liked it, but I always saw it as a midway between normal app and VR. It's made its time now that VR has come true.