cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Medium Suggestions

slipgatecentral
Explorer
TL&DR: Medium is a very nice toy, but it's hard to be productive in it. 

After playing for few hours with it, I have some ideas that might improve this software for professional artists, without ruining accessibility for beginners.

-Almost very tool needs an alt modifier, that will allow user quickly switch to alternate mode. Example - for clay tool, to cut holes you need to open menu, select "Erase", and close menu. Needs to be faster, preferably holding modifier button on left controller (like the one we got for alternate tool). Every sculpting 3d software has this - primary function can be switched instantly to it's opposite.

- We must be able to select same tools for primary and alternate, but they must not share settings. This will be extremely useful in many cases. Like, you can paint using 2 different brushes with different color.

- Desperately need move/pull tool. Smudge doesn't do much. If there's no room on the palette I suggest removing useless swirl.

- Need an option to customize brushes and my palette. Would be great to have my own selection of saved tools with different settings. Time saver.

- Need bigger color swatch accessible from menu. Right now only 3 colors in it.

- Eyedropper tool takes too long to select. It also needs a button modifier for quick operation, like Alt key in Photoshop.

I am a professional 3d artist and I'm looking forward to work in VR. Those are just first steps but I see tons of potential in VR sculpting. 
323 REPLIES 323

Sterling77
Rising Star
@BiteyThing the dam standard perspective is already available - just how your thinking of it - switching to surface and inverting the sphere then softly pressing the trigger will give you the dam standard. 
https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/52965/sterlings-sketchbook

BiteyThing
Protege
@Sterling77 I was thinking that would be pretty much like the chisel brush or something. I'll try using less trigger, and try higher resolutions as well. Thanks  B)

Octops
Explorer
How about using an adaptive voxel grid rather than a fixed one...so you'll get the resolution you need, where you need it, not only limited to subdividing the whole layer.

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
When I'm using the lazor selection in layers mode it'd be handy as hell if I had a "shift key" (maybe the support hand trigger) to select multiple objects without having to use the checkboxes in the panel

Also if move tool had a limit to selected (ie. multiple layers, instead of just single or all) that would be well wicked

Sterling77
Rising Star

P3nT4gR4m said:

When I'm using the lazor selection in layers mode it'd be handy as hell if I had a "shift key" (maybe the support hand trigger) to select multiple objects without having to use the checkboxes in the panel

Also if move tool had a limit to selected (ie. multiple layers, instead of just single or all) that would be well wicked

Hold the left trigger and select with the right - its the shift key :):smile:

P3nT4gR4m
Consultant
@Sterling77 no way? Man, I'm such a noob

Sterling77
Rising Star
haha lol - Its good but still no shift select and hide those layers - that would be helpful. 

BiteyThing
Protege

P3nT4gR4m said:

Yes! Especially when working on heads and you don't want the eyes to move! If not this, then someway to mask/protect specific layers

Also - The ability to solo a layer's visibility.

You can actually select multiple layers and hit the hide btn in the options panel to hide them all... That's pretty awesome ::smile:

Really hoping we get Steady Stroke with Surface mode back in the next update

Parhelion
Protege

Really hoping we get Steady Stroke with Surface mode back in the next update

Same here my dude. Same here.

MechNuggets
Protege
Move tool shape
I dont know if this has been suggested before but it would be really useful to be able to change the shape of the move tool to a custom stamp or at least a square.