cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Computer

sCOREscream
Explorer

Hey all Oculus friends,

soon I will change my Computer and I would like to know if there are any troubles if I change my computer with the same account? So first I would uninstall all Rift games and the Oculus software on my old computer and after this I will reinstall everything on the new one. Do I need to expect any issues? Will I lose my parts on the virtuell  Oculus living room for example? All games are saved on my account, so that should not be a big deal I hope. Whats about the save games?

Thanks for helping a old guy like me rift friends,

Best Regards

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I did this a couple months ago. After installing all the software again, my library was unchanged, just had to reinstall everything. However, save games were all lost as they are not backed up by Oculus Home. I don't remember if I lost my home environment, but I'm pretty sure it survived. All unlocked items in it were still available, including achievement items from games I haven't reinstalled.

View solution in original post

LZoltowski
Champion
Yes as @BeastyBaiter has mentioned:

Once you set up on the new computer and log in with the same account you will have the following:

• Ability to download the games you have purchased and set them up
  • Unfortunately, your save games will not carry over (you can try this manually by searching for the game name and backing up those folders)
  • Your home environment is saved in the cloud so your unlocked items and rooms will be back as you have left them

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Another advice:
 A lot of rift hardware/ software issues can be avoided by installing your new pc wisely.
Turnof fastboot in BIOS
Install windows, then all updates for windows BEFORE installing your GPU drivers.
Now install GPU drivers.
Make sure you are using standard windows USB drivers. ( In case you have an USB extension card, search the forum to find out which driver to use for it. Standard windows driver is most common and works the best with most setups ).
Only now, connect your rift and install it.
Turn of power saving settings, prevents USB from going in sleep mode and other USB power issues the rift can get from these.

Now have fun 🙂
Be good, die great !

7 REPLIES 7

BeastyBaiter
Superstar
I did this a couple months ago. After installing all the software again, my library was unchanged, just had to reinstall everything. However, save games were all lost as they are not backed up by Oculus Home. I don't remember if I lost my home environment, but I'm pretty sure it survived. All unlocked items in it were still available, including achievement items from games I haven't reinstalled.

LZoltowski
Champion
Yes as @BeastyBaiter has mentioned:

Once you set up on the new computer and log in with the same account you will have the following:

• Ability to download the games you have purchased and set them up
  • Unfortunately, your save games will not carry over (you can try this manually by searching for the game name and backing up those folders)
  • Your home environment is saved in the cloud so your unlocked items and rooms will be back as you have left them

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Another advice:
 A lot of rift hardware/ software issues can be avoided by installing your new pc wisely.
Turnof fastboot in BIOS
Install windows, then all updates for windows BEFORE installing your GPU drivers.
Now install GPU drivers.
Make sure you are using standard windows USB drivers. ( In case you have an USB extension card, search the forum to find out which driver to use for it. Standard windows driver is most common and works the best with most setups ).
Turn of power saving settings, prevents USB from going in sleep mode and other USB power issues the rift can get from these.

Now have fun 🙂
Be good, die great !

Sneakygloworm
Expert Protege

KlodsBrik said:

Another advice:
Turnof fastboot in BIOS
Now install GPU drivers.

Now have fun 🙂

+1. Make sure everything is running silky smooth and settled in. Also, if all of your oculus stuff is on a seperate drive, I.e M:/oculus stuff, Don't uninstall or delete it. Just point the new APP installation to that folder so you don't spend hours downloading the whole lot again. If you haven't put the Oculus apps on a separate drive, I would urge you (and everyone) to do so as it's a simple 10 minute wait when and if you have to reinstall from scratch. It also keeps your c: drive clear.

sCOREscream
Explorer
Thank you ALL so much for your answers. The Oculus community is so amazing helpful and full of great people. Thanks my friends. Can't wait to get my new computer and get everthing ready in my living room in a 4x4m VR-space. Thanks!

kojack
MVP
MVP

KlodsBrik said:

Turnof fastboot in BIOS

Definitely! That fastboot is HORRIBLE.
If you dual boot two or more operating systems, fastboot has a high chance of corrupting hard drives when you swap OS. It gets confused during booting and does a disk recovery, but using out of date data cached by the fast boot, which wipes your most recent files. Since it's always the most recently modified stuff that goes, it's the stuff least likely to be backed up yet.

I guess with one OS it's fine, but I still don't trust it.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

kobs57
Heroic Explorer
I'm digging up old stuff but i'm doing that after the holidays, glad I found this thanks for the help 😉
VR dedicated computer...AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 
32 gigs of G.Skill Trident Z neo 2X16 Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
 MSI 1070-TI,  on a MSI B-570 Gaming plus motherboard,
EVGA super nova 1000 Watt PSU
Oculus is on a  CORSAIR Force MP600 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe M.2 SSD