No Sound from Rift Headphones after Playing a few Minutes - Page 3 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No Sound from Rift Headphones after Playing a few Minutes

13»

Comments

• BlahdeBlahde Posts: 32
    Brain Burst
    Jesus.
    This is a complete nightmare!! When I first got the rift, never had even a hiccup, then a short while ago, a month maybe less. OMG!! It's driving me nuts. I think I have tried everything.

Rollback, disable fast boot, disable USB save power, Just today I uninstalled the Oculus software and re-downloaded and installed. No joy. I even re-installed Win 10 less than a week ago and still the same problems.

I think I have tried every fix in this thread, multiple times and still get the problem.

To quote Azirphaeli in the above post:

• Audio will randomly stop working. When it does, the rift Headphones audio level in the playback devices view will freeze at whatever the audio was at when it cut out. This hardly seems like a hardware problem especially considering...
    • Disabling and re-enabling the rift headphones fixes it temporarily. 
    • Furthermore, the rest of the headset including he MIC works just fine, I confirmed this last night by running audio through my speakers on elite while continuing to communicate with my wingmate via the rift mic. He could hear me just fine.
    That is exactly what I get.

This is a Major problem and I'd like it if someone from Oculus would at lease come back with some sort of update on what they are doing to fix it.

Really getting pissed off now!!
    Brain Burst
    OK. Been in and out of Oculus VR, it just will NOT work!!! (Sound wise).

So, between the Oculus store and Steam I have spent maybe...£300 on Oculus games. I have never bought a VR game that didn't support the Rift. That Rift didn't (supposedly) support.

So, I'm thinking I can go back to Amazon (I bought the rift there) and get a refund? I bought my 3rd Sensor from the Oculus store so I want a refund for that as well..

So, I think a refund is in order now, it's been a while with no fix. All the games I have purchased are Oculus VR only. None of them work, can I claim the £750 back?

I say £750 because I have managed to play some of them.I can't play any of them at all now (with sound)

HTC is looking pretty good right now....I'm sorry to say.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,738 Volunteer Moderator
    Blahde said:
    OK. Been in and out of Oculus VR, it just will NOT work!!! (Sound wise).

So, between the Oculus store and Steam I have spent maybe...£300 on Oculus games. I have never bought a VR game that didn't support the Rift. That Rift didn't (supposedly) support.

So, I'm thinking I can go back to Amazon (I bought the rift there) and get a refund? I bought my 3rd Sensor from the Oculus store so I want a refund for that as well..

So, I think a refund is in order now, it's been a while with no fix. All the games I have purchased are Oculus VR only. None of them work, can I claim the £750 back?

I say £750 because I have managed to play some of them.I can't play any of them at all now (with sound)

HTC is looking pretty good right now....I'm sorry to say.
    Did you submit an official support ticket?

https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Brain Burst
    edited February 2018
    What is the Point?
    No one here gives a sh...Monkeys!

Oculus knows what is going on but they have no Idea what to do..I presume?

So, no I didn't .I can't be bothered anymore!.

No offence!
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,175
    Wintermute
    It´s a PC and all sorts of configurations takes form across hardware from motherboards to different cpu´s that have to be compatible with different graphiccards, memory, expansioncards etc.
     All of this have to work together with first of all the operation system, then software written for every single uint. The amount of different configurations is mindblowing. Unfortunately vr is not yet that much plug and play.
     Dont give up. If you love VR, then fight and help make it a better platform !
     Yeah Oculus might know of the problem, but haven´t got enough "cases" to solve it. If you say fuck it, it wont get easier for them to patch solutions.

And im pretty sure if most of the community that stick around in this forum had come across a solution to your problem, they / I would have linked you what to do. :)
    Be good, die great !
    Brain Burst
    "And im pretty sure if most of the community that stick around in this forum had come across a solution to your problem, they / I would have linked you what to do.  "

Exactly!!

Appreciate the words mate, I do. I do understand "PC blah, blah" stuff but Oculus know about this and seem to do sweet Fanny Adams about it. I could raise a ticket but there is nothing they can suggest that I haven't already tried.

They need to fix it in the Software or the Hardware. It's their problem to fix. Me, I think it's a Windows thing but I don't pay Microsoft...
  • RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,039
    Wintermute
    Blahde said:
    What is the Point?
    No one here gives a sh...Monkeys!

Oculus knows what is going on but they have no Idea what to do..I presume?

So, no I didn't .I can't be bothered anymore!.

No offence!

If you "can't be bothered", you can't get a refund. You need to open a ticket for that.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
    Brain Burst
    Richooal said:

If you "can't be bothered", you can't get a refund. You need to open a ticket for that.
    Glad it's running good for you then....Nice!
    I really don't want a refund, that's just frustration talking...or maybe typing. I love my Oculus. 

I've (hopefully) fixed my problem, it was a shit load of trial and error, two re-installs of Win 10, many, many attempts at various fixes. A few installs of the Oculus Software and so on..

I've now been fine (bar a little crackle, here and there). I can live with that....Tough job, but some of us are just unlucky I guess!
  • AstronutsAstronuts Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Blahde said:
    Richooal said:

Glad it's running good for you then....Nice!
    I really don't want a refund, that's just frustration talking...or maybe typing. I love my Oculus. 

I've (hopefully) fixed my problem, it was a shit load of trial and error, two re-installs of Win 10, many, many attempts at various fixes. A few installs of the Oculus Software and so on..

I've now been fine (bar a little crackle, here and there). I can live with that....Tough job, but some of us are just unlucky I guess!
    Can you please provide us (the unlucky ones) some workaround to this issue?
  • Jacen_SunriderJacen_Sunrider Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Hey. The only stable solution I have seen ever since I had the same issue, was using the oficially supported usb extension card. If that doesn't work, you should raise a ticket, give them the logs and try to resolve it together with support. Little patience goes a long way, and if it still won't work after that you should get a refund easy.
  • stateofstaticstateofstatic Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    I've owned the Rift since last October (Win 10), have had the same audio dropout issue, solved by disable/enable rift audio (until it drops out 5-10min later again)...have tried the following:

Disabling all other sound devices

Updating all device drivers

Adding a dedicated USB 3.0 expansion card (the approved Inateck Superspeed Interface) to run two sensors off of, with 3rd sensor running on motherboard USB 3.0 port...also tried running all three sensors on expansion card, same result.

Running Rift headset USB on USB 2.0 motherboard port (tested all open ports)

Setting audio quality of Rift audio to 16bit 44000hz in properties

Setting Rift audio as default device, then selecting "windows default" in Oculus app settings for audio output.

Any other ideas?

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,039
    Wintermute

Any other ideas?

If you have an ASUS motherboard, and are running the AI Suite, this can be problematic. My sound problems were fixed when I removed the ASUS MB Suite.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - 0 PROBLEMS
  • Cain_BloodbaneCain_Bloodbane Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    Okay... so this problem is still a problem? Damn...

Well... one solution I guess is make some kind of script that could disable -> enable the audio and make it easy to do from the Dash? Although even that would be annoying. I have gotten used to disabling and enabling my Rift sound, but... its just really annoying to have to do that.

So... maybe we just have to use different speakers? Pretty crappy solution as I really like having built in speakers, but it sure ruins the experience having to stop playing every 5-15 minutes to disable and reenable the Rift speakers.

How can this not have been fixed by now? Its been a problem for 2 years, and... nothing from Oculus? I guess it means their only response for now would be "sorry, we have not found a solution for this" which might make some even more frustrated about it... but the fact that they just do not seem to care...

I really like Oculus and the Rift, but it is giving me second thoughts that I hear how closed the Oculus Go is. No access to Google Play or the Samsung Gear VR stores. Only Go... guessing its very likely to be the same thing with the Santa Cruz, which would suck for sure. But the technology that they are working on which might be part of the second Rift... well, in some areas Oculus are just doing all the right things for sure.

But what mainly annoys me is this sound issue and how the tracked objects feature is just a "tracked object" feature. I had really been looking forward to playing with that, but only one tracked object just makes it useless for me, as I wanted to track my legs.

Well... regarding the topic at hand, anyone tried bluetooth speakers or something like that?
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2018
    Okay, so I decided to go with the script option, to find a way to disable and enable to Rift Audio from a command line.

Looking into this, I found that Windows has a command line tool called DevCon.exe. Problem here is that when you look it up you find some Microsoft pages that tells you to install Visual Studio, Windows SDK and WDK. That is about 5-7gigabyte you need to download and install... wait that is not counting Visual Studio. Anyway, even though I already had Visual Studio Installed, when I got to the Windows SDK I found that the download was pretty slow, so I began looking for alternative solutions.

First I found a much easier way to get DevCon, but it was the Windows Vista version and it was 32bit, so it would fail whenever I tried doing anything more than look up my devices and their different ids.

Then I found this link: (link not working)
    Google search this and click the 2nd link: DISABLE FAILED NO DEVICES DISABLED" DEVCON.EXE | HOW TO DISABLE DEVICES FROM COMMAND PROMPT

It has a link to the Windows 7 64 bit version of DevCon.exe and it works with Windows 10 as well. It also has a command to restart devices, which I think might be perfect for this case.

Now, you are supposed to find the exact ID of your device and use a command to make that one device restart, but I have failed to find a way to use that ID, since it contains symbols like & which confuses the execution.

So I am going with:
    devcon restart *MMDEVAPI\AudioEndpoints*

It restarts all the audio devices. Pretty sure that would be enough, otherwise I can always refine it later. Now that I have a command that should work, I guess the next problem is finding a way to execute it from within VR in an easy and fast way. Voice commands is probably the most useful I think?

Edit: I have been testing a bit, and it seems that even if I use these commands to disable these devices, they do not seem to disable in the Windows Sound Manager... if I try to disable the USB device itself it says it needs to restart. Seems I am doing something wrong... I can also disable the Rift Audio headphones, but they still seem to be running when checking their status with the devcon command.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well... not simple. Seems devcon was useless. So now I have been looking into using registry editting to enable and disabling the audio, and this seems to work.

It sure is a bit complicated though as you need admin access to the specific key and even then you also need to make it so that you can make the registry change through a command prompt that is running as admin. If you use a program like Voice Attack though, maybe it is enough to ensure that it is running as admin. But even then you also need to change the owner of the registry key, because the owner is the System by default, and when that is the case you cannot modify it from commands even if you are doing it as admin. So you need to change the owner.

I made a test and while it does disable the Rift Audio in the sound manager, it only seems... cosmetic. It has disabled it and other speakers should now be default, but somehow the audio keeps playing. So pretty sure this also fails to solve this problem. I think maybe its because there are more settings that needs to be changed.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well, this is really annoying me, so I have kept digging. I figured editing the registry is still the right track to be on so I have been looking into tools to monitor changes made to the registry. I find Process Monitor which sure is the most useful tool by far. The others required scanning the whole registry, but with this tool its possible to click an open app window for monitoring and it will see all registry actions made by this program. So I have been monitoring the Sound Manager.

I have been looking through what changes when you disable and enable the Rift Audio, and I think what also happens is that it makes changes to the USB device, not just the audio device. Trying to isolate what exactly is being changed.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well... I think I am out of ideas. I have tried exporting big chunks of the registry that seemed relevant as the audio was enabled and as it was disabled. Then merged all of that into two reg files and tried using those, but still no luck.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2018
    Got my Rift today... Having same issue. 
    It is a driver related issue.
    If you type the commands:
    net stop audiosrv
    net start audiosrv

Sometimes you also have to do:
    net stop ovrservice
    net start ovrservice

It will reboot your audio drivers on the PC and reboot the oculus software.
    Then it works again without a PC reboot....
    Hope they fix this soon :-) 

Will let you know if I find a solution so that the issue does not occour in the first place
    I should have read this thread more closely... seems this is exactly what I was looking for. I will try this later today.

Also Oculus staff have responded to this thread asking for a support ticket to be made. I will try to see if I can find a support ticket.

Edit: I think that staff meant each of us should create individual support tickets about it... that is not a solution clearly. Its too common a problem for this to be taken up on an individual basis.

It might be a problem with a USB extension cord, or a USB controller on the motherboard... but it really does not seem relevant to me. It does not happen to other devices, so Oculus should be able to fix it from their end, even if the cause of the problem is not their own software or hardware directly.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Okay, so I decided to go with the script option, to find a way to disable and enable to Rift Audio from a command line.

Looking into this, I found that Windows has a command line tool called DevCon.exe. Problem here is that when you look it up you find some Microsoft pages that tells you to install Visual Studio, Windows SDK and WDK. That is about 5-7gigabyte you need to download and install... wait that is not counting Visual Studio. Anyway, even though I already had Visual Studio Installed, when I got to the Windows SDK I found that the download was pretty slow, so I began looking for alternative solutions.

First I found a much easier way to get DevCon, but it was the Windows Vista version and it was 32bit, so it would fail whenever I tried doing anything more than look up my devices and their different ids.

Then I found this link:
    http://delphintipz.blogspot.com/2012/07/disable-failed-no-devices-disabled.html

It has a link to the Windows 7 64 bit version of DevCon.exe and it works with Windows 10 as well. It also has a command to restart devices, which I think might be perfect for this case.

Now, you are supposed to find the exact ID of your device and use a command to make that one device restart, but I have failed to find a way to use that ID, since it contains symbols like & which confuses the execution.

So I am going with:

It restarts all the audio devices. Pretty sure that would be enough, otherwise I can always refine it later. Now that I have a command that should work, I guess the next problem is finding a way to execute it from within VR in an easy and fast way. Voice commands is probably the most useful I think?
    Hiro Protagonist

Then I found this link:
    http://delphintipz.blogspot.com/2012/07/disable-failed-no-devices-disabled.html

So I am going with:

Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2018
    Got my Rift today... Having same issue. 
    It is a driver related issue.
    If you type the commands:
    net stop audiosrv
    net start audiosrv

Sometimes you also have to do:
    net stop ovrservice
    net start ovrservice

It will reboot your audio drivers on the PC and reboot the oculus software.
    Then it works again without a PC reboot....
    Hope they fix this soon :-) 

Will let you know if I find a solution so that the issue does not occour in the first place
    Strange, I already posted about this, but my post seems to be gone. Well, seems I should have looked through this thread better, because this seems to be what I was looking for. I will give this a try.

Yup... this seems to work. "net stop audiosrv" does stop the sound and "net start audiosrv" brings it back.

Now its time to test it with Voice Attack :)
    Hiro Protagonist
    Okay, pretty sure this works. So I am using Voice Attack to ensure that I am able to use custom voice commands, and I added a command to it so that when I say "enable sound" it will run the batch file I made with these lines:
    @echo off
    net stop audiosrv
    net start audiosrv

Make sure these lines are added to a text file you make with notepad, that the file is saved in ansi format (should be default and you wont be able to change this in Notepad unless its not ansi already). The file extension of this file then needs to be changed to bat instead of txt. So that the name could be "enablesounds.bat" for example.

So it will restart the audio. It still seems to make a command prompt pop up, but that should not be a problem when you are in VR anyway, since it will be on the monitor. A problem with doing this though, is that it requires administrator privileges to run these commands, and if you make a shortcut to run this, it will open with a prompt asking if you are sure whether you want to run this. That would not really work for this purpose, so I found this:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-administrator-mode-shortcuts-without-uac-prompts-in-windows-vista/

It explains how to run shortcuts as admin without any prompts by setting up a Windows task for it. Then in Voice Attack I add the new command, with the command words being "enable sound" and I set it to run:
    C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe
    with the parameters:
    /run /tn "Disable Sound"

Disable Sound is the name of the task I made. So now I can restart my audio without having to go to any menus, or taking off the headset :smiley:
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hmmm... this solution also seems to have problems, I have been testing it in different ways. Voice attack does not always seem to run the task, and sometimes when I try to run the task it wont run either... but it seems if I run Voice Attack in admin mode, I can just make it run the batch file directly and it wont show a prompt. It might disable the commands or the Rift Microphone in Voice Attack when the audio is restarted though, and this I think can be fixed by adding some waits, then change to some other audio input / microphone, wait again, and then switch back to the Rift microphone, and I think it will actively listen for commands again.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited July 2018
    I found several different ways of doing this. The most direct way if you use Voice Attack is to find the Net executable in the Windows/System32 folder and give it the parameters stop audiosrv. Then I add a 3 second pause just to be safe, then net start audiosrv (again choosing net directly in the system32 folder).

Disabling and reenabling sound is likely to stop Voice Attack from listening to commands, so I also add another 3 second wait, then use the Windows command to chance default audio device, so that I set the microphone to something other than the Rift one, add another 3 second wait and then set it back to the Rift microphone, and it should be listening to your commands again. The wait commands might not be needed. Voice Attack is free, but in the free version you only have one profile and only up to 20 commands at any one time. The full version is just 10 dollars I think, so I will probably buy it at some point.

Oh, and remember Voice Attack has to be running as administrator for this to be possible.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Well... of course when you want it to happen, it wont. Annoying. Guess I cannot test it for now.
  • SkylandsbestSkylandsbest Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have been having the same bug for a while now... I have found, when i mess with the settings in windows that if you go to the "advanced" option in the sound control pannel, if you uncheck the box for let applications take priority over this device that it lasts a little longer, but still cuts out... I also have a bug where it will crash for no reason whatsoever.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,025
    Wintermute
    Make sure you go to the rift headset advanced properties and select cd quality (44100 I think).
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • 3ee3ee Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited January 2
    Ooooh noooo, i was looking for my problem that sound stops working after a little while, few minutes and this is going on for more then 2 years now?
    I really dont have time for this, this is really bad.

I had it working perfectly once after reinstalling all my nvidia drivers.
    But then after a reboot all was the same again.
    Reinstalled windows twice also....
    Did al the other stuff aswel like cd quality, no enhancements, no full control priority, ...
    For me this can only be something with usb but i am not willing to buy a new motherboard and not very jumpy to buy the supported usb card because i dont want to pay and find out it doesnt help.

Isnt there any log that can be printed to see what exactly is going on?