New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Lenses always seem dirty now and I don't seem to be able to clean them

Pascal80Pascal80 Posts: 24
Brain Burst
3 weeks in use now and the lenses always seem dirty to me now. It's like there are smudges I can't clean. I don't see any scratches. What is this? Did the screen get dirty? Is it the lenses? How do I clean? It's really frustrating.

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited July 2018
    It may be normal. Oculus Go uses Fresnel lenes, which have concentric circle grooves under the lens. Because of this, you may see slight glare, especially around highly contrasting colors like white text on a black background. Is this maybe what you are seeing? Can you try taking a photo?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,018 Valuable Player
    I would recommend doing a google search on how to clean lenses properly. You could damage them if you don't know how to clean lenses properly. By damaging them I mean it could make them dull looking..
  • Pascal80Pascal80 Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2018
    I have used only the black little cloth that came with the Go to clean. Could I have damaged them like that? I clean with circular motions from the centre going out. Could it be moisture or something like that?
    Brain Burst
    Brain Burst

Brain Burst
    Can you tell anything from these pictures? Do you need pictures of content inside the set?
    I'm not seeing anything abnormal in those pictures, but it's really hard to tell.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    Any ideas? Whole experience is ruined, so annoying.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Lenses are perfectly fine, when do you seem to see the smudging most? White text on black background?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Brain Burst
    When it's mostly bright backgrounds and move my head I can see smudging in places.
    Brain Burst
    What's the ideal brightness setting for the Go?
    It sounds like you are talking about glare, which is perfectly normal.
  • TopTexTopTex Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Are you sure that they are not just steaming up a bit when you have the headset on? I noticed blurring a bit and then realised that it was because I was a bit hot and they were getting misted up. A fan blowing at me fixed the problem.
    Brain Burst
    it's foggy in places. What can I say? It wasn't like that before.
    Brain Burst
    In the worst case scenario that the lenses are scratched what do I do?
    The lenses are not removable or replaceable. Can you try to explain the problem better? I'm not even sure there is anything wrong.
    Brain Burst
    Well you know how you sometimes put on the headset and you understand immediately lenses are dirty and you take off and wipe with a cloth and put back on and it's ok? Well in this case it's like you can't clean 100%. Best way I can explain it.
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 2,144 Valuable Player
    Maybe try to find a local Go or Rift user or store and see what they think.  If you are new to VR it is often hard to tell yourself imho.  Just looking at your photos I cannot see anything wrong.  I get the same little half-moon images (that look like a hologram) when looking at them and I think that this is just the Fresnel lens effect.  Also, if you wear glasses (like I do) these can also have small negative effects, esp. if they are old and scratched, lol! 

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti, 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro w/2.0 base stations/controllers, Quest w/Link and VD wireless (good/close 5Ghz wifi and PC with Ethernet cable to my Router).

• TopTexTopTex Posts: 19
    NerveGear
    Get someone else to try them and see if they see the same thing. Also you could try take them to an optician and ask them if they can lean them for you as a favour.
  • cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 212
    Nexus 6
    It sounds like foggy lenses. What u need to do is run the oculus app for 10-15 min before playing that way the headset gets heated up so u dont have steamy lenses. Try running the app for a bit of time before playing and see if that helps.
    Brain Burst
    It sounds like foggy lenses. What u need to do is run the oculus app for 10-15 min before playing that way the headset gets heated up so u dont have steamy lenses. Try running the app for a bit of time before playing and see if that helps.
    Hate to ask but what is the oculus app?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Oculus home, the store and so on.
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• cleanupdisccleanupdisc Posts: 212
    Nexus 6
    O if he is on oculus go then im not sure. I thought he meant the oculus rift.
    I honestly don't think there is anything physically wrong with your lenses (based on your pictures and description) so lens scratch solutions probably won't help. Maybe try getting lens cleaning wipes and give it a good wipe. Search for "lens cleaning wipes" on Amazon there are many options for not that much money.
    Brain Burst
    I honestly don't think there is anything physically wrong with your lenses (based on your pictures and description) so lens scratch solutions probably won't help. Maybe try getting lens cleaning wipes and give it a good wipe. Search for "lens cleaning wipes" on Amazon there are many options for not that much money.
    OK i will try this. Do you think these will clean something the oculus go cleaning cloth won't?
    Potentially, yes. For example, if oil substance got on the lenses, a cleaning wipe would work better than a dry cloth.
    The ones for lenses should be fine, I've used the Zeiss ones before.
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2018
    The ones for lenses should be fine, I've used the Zeiss ones before.
    https://www.amazon.de/Brillen-Reinigungst%C3%BCcher-Formulierung-schonenden-gr%C3%BCndlichen-Brillengl%C3%A4ser/dp/B078HFWTS1/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532266571&sr=8-1&keywords=zeiss+lens+wipes

Should I get this? Supposed to be a new formula. Or is it all the same?

Also what about a compressed air can and a good microfiber cloth?