cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus TrayTool - SuperSampling profiles, HMD disconnect fixes (hopefully)

ApollyonVR
Rising Star
Oculus Tray Tool  
current version: 0.87.3

What is it?
In short; It’s a free application that helps you get the most out of your Rift. It is developed by me, ApollyonVR, with the support of the community for beta testing. Please note that this application is not an official piece software from Oculus, I am not affiliated with Oculus in any way. Any issues you
have with this application should be reported to me and not Oculus support. You can reach me here on the forums or by contacting me at ApollyonVR@gmail.com

Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) has many features that will hopefully help you get the very best VR experience. It has options that help you automatically switch audio and microphone to the Rift and back, handle the Oculus runtime service, voice commands, batch import Steam games (added to OTT by the awesome @headkaze over at http://headsoft.com.au), replace icons for your games and more.

It’s primary feature however, is the ability to create “Profiles” for you VR Games and apps.
Within these Profiles, you set how Asyncronous SpaceWarp (ASW) should act, increase the perceived resolution by using Supersampling and increase the CPU Priority of a given app to get the most juice out of your system for that specific application.
Once a Profile has been created for a game or app, OTT will detect when it is started and apply the
profile for it, without the need for taking your headset of.

If you want to have a peek at all the things OTT can do for you before installing the application, check the User Guide pdf. The latest version of this application will always be right below this intro, but the app also checks for available updates on startup.

Enjoy, have fun and please report any issues, suggestion or feature requests to me using the above mentioned methods. Oh, and feel free to buy me a coffee by using the PayPal button in-app. 🙂

The very nice people over at Guru3d.com have been kind enough to host some mirrors for the setups, so make sure to pay them a visit!
-----------

UPDATE 03/08

Hi all!
It's been a while since i released a new version, but now the time has come! 😃
I'm looking for ppl who want to test the new version before public release.
There are primarily changes for the Quest but anyone is welcome to test it.
Just drop an email to ApollyonVR@gmail.com and i'll get you a download link
and some instructions. Also include what type of headset (Rift or Quest)
that you are using.

Also, i now have a proper domain for the website, so swing by www.ApollyonVR.com
and check out the new Forum! If you have questions, comments or suggestions

that is the place to post them. 😃

Below are the release notes for the new version. Please note that this is a Beta version

for testing the new features. If you just want to use a stable version of OTT then head

over to www.apollyonvr.com and simply download the latest version.

Version 0.87.7
* Oculus Dash will now use the same CPU Priority as what you set for OVR Server.
* Added a "Comments" option to Profiles.
* Implemented Paolod29's code for a permanent AirLink (https://github.com/pd29/oculus-airlink-enabler).
* Added more choices to the Quest Link settings for "Bitrate" and "Encode Resolution".
* Added option for "Force Mipmap generation on all layers" on the Game Settings tab.
* Added option for "Offset Mipmap bias on all layers" on the Game Settings tab.
* Added option for "Force Mipmap generation on all layers" to Profiles.
* Added option for "Offset Mipmap bias on all layers" to Profiles.
* Added option for "Encode Dynamic Bitrate" on the Quest Link tab.
* Added option for "Dynamic Bitrate Max" on the Quest Link tab.
* Added "FOV Multiplier" to Profiles. Setting this to a value lower than 1, for example 0.8,
will increase FPS due to less pixels being drawn at the expense of lower FOV.
* When creating a brand new Profile, the current settings from the Game Settings tab will be used.
This will make it even easier to create a new Profile! Simply experiment with different settings
on the Game Settings tab, and when you have found the perfect combo for a given game those
settings are copied over when you click "Create new Profile".

* Added option to Disable profiles.

* Redesigned the Profiles window a bit.
* Fixed some bugs.

Cheers!
1,867 REPLIES 1,867

Cain_Bloodbane
Adventurer
I tried with Devcon, but it wants you do reset the computer to disable or enable the USB ports... which is a bit strange when again it can be done through the UI.

Just more reasons why its a bad thing that Windows is built mainly on its UI, rather than still being a command prompt with a UI on top of it like it was with Windows 3.11 and Windows 95. With Linux you can do everything in command prompts, which is part of the reason why Linux based servers has a lot less downtime compared to Windows servers. Linux can disable and reenable devices, software and UIs as needed, to install updates and such. Pretty sure even Server versions of Windows still require you to restart the computer to install Windows updates.

Seems unprofessional to me. But maybe now that Powershell is an integrated part of Windows they might begin fixing this.

I hope you find a work around regarding the USB devices... but for now I think the commands:
net stop audiosrv
net start audiosrv

Might help with the audio. I will test it later tonight myself.

ApollyonVR
Rising Star
@Cain_Bloodbane It's definately possible to code, it's just a bit harder and requires a bit more work. But i'm pretty sure i'll be able to add options to reset both audio and sensor ports, once i get the time to dive deeper into it. I know which route i need to take so it's just a matter of finding the time to do it.

Cheers!

Cain_Bloodbane
Adventurer

@Cain_Bloodbane It's definately possible to code, it's just a bit harder and requires a bit more work. But i'm pretty sure i'll be able to add options to reset both audio and sensor ports, once i get the time to dive deeper into it. I know which route i need to take so it's just a matter of finding the time to do it.

Cheers!

That sure would be awesome 🙂 Looking forward to it.

Cain_Bloodbane
Adventurer
I finally found a way to do the solution I had for the sound issue. I wrote it in the last post in this thread:
https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/34321/no-sound-from-rift-headphones-after-playing-a...

Basically what I do is I am using Voice Attack and make it run a task that runs a bat file as admin without giving me a prompt about it, which disables and then enables my sound when I say "enable sound".

Not sure if any of this might help adding something similar to OTT. The commands are native Windows commands, so no need for downloads or 3rd party tools.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

@RuneSR2 I set SS directly on the Oculus service and whatever value is set will stay there until a new value is set, or the service is restart. So, if you have for example 2.0 set in Global SS, this will be set when you start OTT. If you then launch a game with a profile that has SS 0, no change will occur (SS 0 = don't do anything) and the game should run at SS 2.0. I say should as this is where the whole "ss sometimes multiply thing" might happen, depending on the game (i will spend some time seeing if i can find a way to always override ss settings).
So now we might have the scenario where if a game runs at for example 1.3 from the start, and then we come along and set ss on the service to 2.0, in the "multiply" scenario would mean SS should be 2.0*1.3.

So, if you do a test where you set Global SS to 0 (so no change occurs on startup), then in your profile for the game also set SS to 0, you should get whatever is the in-game setting. Then close the game and test changing either the Global SS setting or the Profile SS setting, and starting the game again. Using the Pixel Density overlay setting in Visual HUD you can see what SS you currently have. So check there every time you make a change, and see what you actually get.

What i like to do is first test if the games in-game SS setting works, as they (at least in the early days) might have some issues. If it works fine and the setting can be cranked high enough for my taste, i leave the Profile at SS 0 and use the in-game setting. If the in-game setting seems messy, i instead try and disable that, setting it to 1.0 or 0 or whatever is the in-game equivalent of "don't touch it", and then test setting SS with OTT instead and seeing how that works.

But yea, it really depends on how the developer have implemented things, and using the Pixel Density overlay can usually help figure out just how that particular game does things, and tweak the profile and in-game settings to work together.

Does that help or did i just make stuff more confusing?

By the way, super-proud to hear you find OTT so useful, so thanks for that last comment 😃

Cheers!

ApollyonVR, you're a true Jedi Master if there ever was one 🙂

I've been using OTT for a year, but never thought of activating the HUD to see pixel density. 

Here's what happens in Seeking Dawn - it's quite interesting. I've set global SS to 0 and deleted the Seeking Dawn profile. In Seeking Dawn I've set SS to 1.4. (Oculus Home is very blurry, surely I'm now using SS 1.0 and not at all SS 2.0). Now starting the game SS is 1.4 (it says 1.41), but when I'm loading the game it changes to SS 1.0! Then I can just go into the in-game settings menu and re-apply SS 1.4 - and viola - I get SS 1.4 (and performance gets a slap in the face). Then I load a new level, and SS is again reset to 1.0! So every time you load a level, SS is reset to 1.0 - no matter your in-game settings.
I can't believe the developers are doing this on purpose - but Seeking Dawn is probably the most demanding VR game yet, maybe one kind developer did do something to let 1080 Ti owner think they could run this game using SS 1.5... 😉 Everything is making sense now. Suddenly I understand why - when selecting SS 1.5 - sometimes the game ran much better than other times - even the same scene. Now I can hear Obi-Wan Kenobi: "But Rune, you always use SS 2.0, can't you immediately tell SS 1.0 from 1.5?" - my answer would be that SS 1.0 and 1.5 are just a different kinds of blurriness compared to SS 2.0 - and I was not prepared to be subjected to such evil mind tricks!  😉

Best,

The Padawan 🙂 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

ApollyonVR
Rising Star
@RuneSR2  Glad to hear you got some clarity. 😃 The developer might be using adaptive scaling for pixel density, which should try and smooth things out by scaling pixel density depending on your hardware and performance.
I think you can actually turn that off, although i am not sure if it will only affect Oculus Home or if it will carry over to games as well. I'll send you a PM with intructions on how to test it once i get home to my rig. If it seems like we can get some form of change in behaviour happening i'll see about including some for of option to enable/disable scaling.

Cheers!

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

@RuneSR2  Glad to hear you got some clarity. 😃 The developer might be using adaptive scaling for pixel density, which should try and smooth things out by scaling pixel density depending on your hardware and performance.
I think you can actually turn that off, although i am not sure if it will only affect Oculus Home or if it will carry over to games as well. I'll send you a PM with intructions on how to test it once i get home to my rig. If it seems like we can get some form of change in behaviour happening i'll see about including some for of option to enable/disable scaling.

Cheers!

Thanks again - also for the mail, I'll try everything later. Today Seeking Dawn has gotten it's first patch (3.49 GB I'm downloading on my slow connection right now) - so much of the problems I've described may no longer be relevant - we'll see. 

BTW, I would be surprised if Seeking Dawn developers are using adaptive scaling for pixel density. I loaded a lot of different scenes yesterday, and the game constantly defaulted to SS 1.0. But for the fun of it - and before the patch - I just tried to set everything back to normal (=what's normal for me ;-). Thus using OTT I went back to global SS 2.0 (it worked perfectly and was shown as 2.01 in Oculus Home) and I set up a Seeking Dawn profile using SS 1.4. 
Now I started Seeking Dawn - and to my great surprise I got SS 2.81 (two-point-eight!!). Man it looked good, but the framerate was like a slideshow... I went into the in-game menu and reduced SS from 1.4 to 1.3 - which gave me SS 2.6 effectively. Had to use in-game 0.6 to get SS 1.2. When starting a new game, SS was no longer reset to SS 1.0, but to SS 2.0 (according to the HUD display). The game looked awesome, but ended up crashing (that is the menus didn't work correctly, had to use the Oculus button to exit the game). 
It was a surprise that my OTT global SS seemed not be be overridden by the OTT profile SS - at least it seemed that the global SS was the one impacting the Seeking Dawn in-game SS. Shouldn't the profile override the global SS? I would love to select SS 1.0 for a profile in order to cancel my global SS - but it's not possible to select SS 1.0 for a profile, is there're any reason for not being able to select SS 1.0 in a profile? (Especially if a game multiplies in-game SS with OTT SS it would be great to have an OTT profile SS 1.0 option). 

I don't know how much you care for Seeking Dawn - personally I think it's one of the best games arriving for the Rift in some time - otherwise that game may provide some interesting insight to how OTT may interact with a few games or apps. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

igmackenzie
Explorer
Can someone explain how game profiles work in OTT?  For example, I have a profile for DCS, but if I make ASW set to off in the profile, the Global ASW value of Auto is still applied in game.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can someone explain how game profiles work in OTT?  For example, I have a profile for DCS, but if I make ASW set to off in the profile, the Global ASW value of Auto is still applied in game.

My profile works in DCS. I would note the OTT and DCS seem to be a little buggy working together of late, I have the audio confirmation box checked so I know when a profile is getting applied.
Sometimes when I launch DCS I do not get audio confirmation, and indeed when I start a flight I see my profile is not applied. Exit DCS and then launch again, then I get audio confirmation and confirm profile is applied.

For some reason DCS is the only game so far I have this with the OTT. So you might try setting your audio confirmation on just to be sure the profile is actually applied.

Also be sure you have the profile pointed to DCS.exe.

szopin
Honored Guest
- Fixed an issue where "Show Removed 3rd Party Apps" did not list anything, and after unchecking the box
  no apps where visible in the Library unless you moused over them.
- Fixed an issue with re-enabling removed 3rd party apps. This feature should now work again.

Is this 100% working? I am unable to re-add steam version of BoxVR (developer suggested it would fix its entry getting incorrectly added to Oculus Home with some extra parameter that caused steam to freak out, apparently unaware that Oculus just doesn't like you re-adding third party software like that). Tried reverting to non-public beta version of home, disabling core 2.0 beta, removing all entries tray tool listed, but it still won't get added again. Anyone know which file/registry you need to edit to add it manually?