cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making stereoscopic 3D photos and videos for Oculus Go

maximsadym
Explorer
Hi all,
I'm going to hiking trip to mountains and I want to make some stereo photos and videos.
The question is how to make it? I don't want to have just 360 photos, I want real 3d stereo photos and videos.
Did anybody tried to solve this? I'm considering getting 2 goPro and fix them onto a stick, which will allow to make even Hyper Stereo, which will be very impressive in mountains. But the questions are:
1. How to synchronise photos and videos
2. How to merge them to 1 photo
3. How to view them afterwards on my Oculus Go and how to share it with my friends?
27 REPLIES 27

CrashFu
Consultant
Just heard about this the other day: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0793JTT3R/?coliid=I266YWQSU1FV9T&colid=3VMLTHITILXLJ&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The Lenovo Mirage Camera.  It's the counterpart of the Lenovo Mirage Headset but I can't imagine any reason that the photos or videos you take with it wouldn't be just as good for Oculus Go apps as they are google daydream apps?
It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.

Roaster
Rising Star

It is perfectly possible to make stereoscopic 3D spherical photos and video.  But it is not easy and not something you can learn overnight.  If you can afford $8K or more for a self-stitching 3D 360 video camera, no problem -- except that the VR images will be terribly soft.  If you want to do it yourself, it will still not be easy or cheap.  The least expensive rig I use to shoot stereo still panoramas cost roughly $2000, and I built a lot of it myself.  It is two small Sony mirrorless cameras with Samyang 180 degree lenses, a diode box and radio trigger to synchronize them, a bracket to hold them side by side, and a tall monopod with a surveyor's level on the side to help me hold it upright  as I turn it around to shoot 6 or more stereo pairs.  The s/w I use is PTGui -- the pros' favorite panorama stitcher -- plus PT3D, a helper program that makes PTGui into a 3D stitcher.  You need pretty heavy pano stitching skills to use that combination.  I am still learning after 8 years.

Hard core.
I haven't seen the quality yet, but LucidCam has a three cam bracket for full 360 shots in stereo at 4k. Movies too.
it would be about $1300 to start.
That Lenovo cam has a conspicuous lack of resolution info, but it should equal or exceed the Fugi W3.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

loulou56
Honored Guest

Roaster said:

loulou56 said:

I did not find anything for 3D photos, what a shame for a 3D player

I just found Samsung VR can display sbs stills in 3D. It's good now.

Edit ... half-sbs stills only.

Thank you !
I found that to be able to watch my mpo photos with Samsung VR but first have to convert them.

Using Stereo Photo Maker.
* File > Open Stereo Image (W) [load .mpo file]
* Stereo > Side-by-Side > Half width SBS (Ctrl+Alt+F9)
* File > Save Stereo Image... (S)

Anonymous
Not applicable
And do they look good ? That might make me want to resurrect my old Panasonic 3D1 !
I wonder if someone's compared that Mirage to the old 3D cameras like the 3D1 or Fuji W3

fisherro
Protege
Besides half-width SBS in Samsung VR, I've also found Pigasus (but not the free version) can view full-width SBS. In both cases, I use Plex to serve them from my computer.

(I'm very disappointed that neither Oculus Gallery or Oculus Rooms supports any 3D non-pano photos. I'm also disappointed that even the apps I've found that support them don't support MPO.)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow my 3D1 pics look pretty decent even in Half SBS, best way to view 3D pictures so far and I've tried them all (I think), hehe...the most frustrating must have been the Gadmei 8 3D !

Do you know if there's a way to batch process in SPM ? I can see an "Open File List" menu but can't seem to make much happen there, thanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,
I'm going to hiking trip to mountains and I want to make some stereo photos and videos.
The question is how to make it? I don't want to have just 360 photos, I want real 3d stereo photos and videos.
Did anybody tried to solve this? I'm considering getting 2 goPro and fix them onto a stick, which will allow to make even Hyper Stereo, which will be very impressive in mountains. But the questions are:
1. How to synchronise photos and videos
2. How to merge them to 1 photo
3. How to view them afterwards on my Oculus Go and how to share it with my friends?

I'm using the Lenovo Mirage (VR180) Camera. I've put some of the content that I've taken on Google Photos and it is viewable using Oculus Gallery (at least). I have posted links in other discussions but here they are again:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vuw5neXGw4nh7bUt8 
and here:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/S9mZwgomfNEugcTY8 

diverswan
Explorer

Wow my 3D1 pics look pretty decent even in Half SBS, best way to view 3D pictures so far and I've tried them all (I think), hehe...the most frustrating must have been the Gadmei 8 3D !

Do you know if there's a way to batch process in SPM ? I can see an "Open File List" menu but can't seem to make much happen there, thanks.

In case you haven't already sorted it out in SPM click "File" and go down to "Multi Conversion". Under "output file type" choose hsbs (scroll to bottom) or leave as full sbs if you are using Pigasus Viewer. They must be in parallel view not in cross-view. I usually put the files in one folder. Launch a photo from the folder in SPM. Go to the multi-conversion window and after selecting settings, down on the lower right is an option to "Convert All Files".

Good luck to the original poster finding the right way to get your 3D fix in the hills. If and when you do please share them with us...? I've gone ahead and ordered a QooCam to try my own 1803D stuff with. I'll try to report back once I've tested it out.
https://www.kandaovr.com/en/qoocam/#/overview

I've got an old FujiW3 that I still use on occaisions... some of my footage is up over on the Tube...
https://www.youtube.com/user/diverswan/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

diverswan
Explorer
hi

diverswan
Explorer
bye