cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift - No picture during first setup - only audio

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got a new Oculus Rift and tried to set it up. Everything worked fine until i had to complete the setup inside the vr headset. I don't see any picture inside the headset and iI can't get it working. I can hear audio fine over the headset but I don't have any video signal inside it, it just stays pitch black.

My specs:
  • Windows 10 x64
  • intel i7-4770
  • nvidia GTX 970

Things I've already tried:
  • I'm connecting the Headset via HDMI directly to the graphics card. My monitor is also connected directly to it via dvi.
  • I've tried using a displayport to hdmi adapter, nothing changed
  • The Headset is connected via USB 3.0, I've tested multiple USB 3.0 and 2.0 sockets
  • The light inside is white if I connect it directly via HDMI and orange if I connect it via DP adapter
  • The light inside goes out if i wear the headset or if i hold my finger over the sensor
  • My nvidia drivers are up to date
  • I've tried to roll back the nvidia drivers to multiple old versions
  • During the installation process of the nvidia drivers i got a brief flash of my current screen inside the headset
  • I reinstalled the Oculus software and redid the whole setup process

Please help me, I'm starting to get desperate... I don't know what else to try. Thank you in advance!
13 REPLIES 13

Techy111
MVP
MVP
The cable that goes into the head set. Can you double check that's seated correctly mate?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Are you using any kind of extension HDMI or USB cables, the Rift can be very picky with those, did the sensors show are ok, are they on USB 3 or 2, is this a new Rift or a second hand one.

What is your Motherboard make and model.

I had that very same setup last year before i upgraded the GTX 970 to a GTX 1080, so you can certainly run VR ok, although my Mobo did not like the Rift and i had constant connection and tracking issues because of it, so i had to buy a cheap Inateck two port USB 3.0 card and all those issues were gone.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Oh and ensure you got the latest gpu driver.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your answers:

• I've tried multiple drivers for my graphics card, including the newest version provided by nvidia
  • I don't use any extensions, the included cables are directly plugged into my pc
  • I have replugged the cable that goes inside the headset multiple times, so there shouldn't be a problem here

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Just check the pins at both ends and double check for bent/damaged ones to rule that out mate.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
And maybe delete the oculus setup completely and start again

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've already deleted everthing, downloaded a new setup file and reinstalled the oculus software.
I will check the cables for damaged pins and report back to you, thank you for your assistance!

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Hopefully it's not that and something simple 

Anonymous
Not applicable

OmegaM4N said:

Are you using any kind of extension HDMI or USB cables, the Rift can be very picky with those, did the sensors show are ok, are they on USB 3 or 2, is this a new Rift or a second hand one.

What is your Motherboard make and model.

I had that very same setup last year before i upgraded the GTX 970 to a GTX 1080, so you can certainly run VR ok, although my Mobo did not like the Rift and i had constant connection and tracking issues because of it, so i had to buy a cheap Inateck two port USB 3.0 card and all those issues were gone.

• No extension cables and it's a brand new rift.
  • Sensors, Touchcontroller and headset is showing as connected and the setup of the sensors and the "playfield" did work without problems
  • I've tried multiple USB ports on the front and the back of my pc, there should be enough USB 3.0 ports...
  • Motherboard is a MSI Z97-G34 (MSI Website)