Oculus home import units and sizing — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus home import units and sizing

TickTockTickTock Posts: 200
Nexus 6
I have a bust my son made with Medium and am trying to import it.  When I just exported the obj and converted to glb, the object came in about 10X the size of the room.  So a couple questions:
1) what are the unit of Medium
2) what are the units of Oculus home and the size of the space?

Next, I tried resizing the object with Win10 3d builder.  This is a pretty useful app and allowed me to settle the bust flat, set the units, and scale.  I scaled the bust thusly to 200mm but it still came into Oculus home about 10x the size of the room. OK,  I shrunk it again, this time to 10mm.  Same thing.  So.. what is the procedure for taking a object from Medium and scaling it to someting compatible with Oculus home?

I am using this tool to convert obj to glb.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
 -Groucho Marx

Comments

• Calimero_OeufCalimero_Oeuf Posts: 53
    Hiro Protagonist
    I want to know too !!!!

I have exactly the same problem, very huge or very small :'( :'(

I have a lot of good and beatifull objects but I can't import them because of the size

How do you scale objects ?
    Ma configuration Oculus Rift + 3 capteurs et câbles longueur 5 mètres :
    Cable USB 3.0 en 5 mètres x4
    Cable HDMI en 5 mètres x1
    Répétiteur HDMI x1
    Hub USB 3.0 pour 1 ou 2 capteurs x1
    Hub USB alimenté pour le casque  x1

• MonstaahMonstaah Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    Found this guide here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/8tlcdy/simple_pipeline_for_converting_sketchfab_models/

it's still finicky and you may need to adjust the scale lower than mentioned, but it's kinda working for me at present.
    PC Specs:

Black Box, with wires & some kind of electronicy stuff inside..
    oooh it even has lights!! =)
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 453
    Trinity
    edited June 2018
    I also got a size problem with my imported objects. They're always huge, and changing the original object's size doesn't affect the apparent size in Home!

- First, I tried to put a .pmx model in Home. I converted it in .FBX with Blender, then converted it in .GLB, then I put it in Home. The original model is around 1.5 m high, yet it appears huge in Home, so I shrank it to 1/10th of its original size, converted it again and put in Home. The new model is as huge as the previous one despite my changing the size in Blender!

- Then, I tried with a more simple object : a flat plane. This time from Unity, I make a .FBX file which I convert in GLB and import in Home. Again, the object is huge. I shrink it in Unity (again, 1/10th), do that process again to put it in Home... and still no change at all.

Anyway, Monstaah's got the solution ^^. Basically, if your GLB file is too big, open it with three.js (it's an online object editor), change the size of that object, save it as .GLB again and you will have a smaller object in Home.

Honestly, Oculus Home is great and keeps getting better, but it REALLY needs a built-in size-editing feature. That way, even though the imported objects come way bigger than it should, it wouldn't be much trouble to solve that.
    Besides, Steam Home's got that since the beginning! Frankly, there's no excuse for Oculus not implementing that already. It's easy to do and is kind of mandatory when it comes to customization.
    I'm sick of not being able to choose the size of my objects. I wish I could make smaller targets for high-level archery, or bigger statues, or bigger TVs.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • Cain_BloodbaneCain_Bloodbane Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have been playing around with this as well these last few weeks on and off. I have found that I could make 3D objects out of my images using Microsoft Paint 3D.. but size is a problem. It can be changed in Paint 3D as well, just a bit difficult to tell what sizes are actually good to aim for... but I guess its all about making one model, maybe a human model or something, that is the size of an average person, to be used to find the right size.

Another tool I have found is this:
    https://easy3dpost.com

But it watermarks the 3D objects you make it seems. Not sure if you can pay to have it removed or something.
  • ElusiveMarlinElusiveMarlin Posts: 202
    Nexus 6
    I looks like scalability of objects is coming in a future release,  as when you first open a custom object, there is a bounding box with what look like grab points, that I'm assuming will allow us to scale the object in a coming release.

Just my thoughts, nothing definitive from Oculus! :-)
    Intel Core i7 8700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |
    240GB SATA III SSD | 3TB HDD | 867Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."