cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avengers Assemble! Taking My First Look At Marvel's Powers United VR

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer

So last night I got the chance to jump into the new Marvel Powers United game a day early. Marvel Powers united VR has received a lot of hype over the past few months and as it normally is, that hype has been met with a healthy dose of skepticism. Traditionally, the big name franchise games like this one are usually not the best offerings, but as a Marvel fan I went into this one with hope and for the most part I was relieved that this wasn't a total let down.

Overall upon first dropping into the games prologue I immediately noticed that the graphics, scale and atmosphere are well done and playing the Prologue definitely got me pumped for the rest of the game! Before the Prologue starts you can choose either Captain America or Black Widow and I chose Captain America then was immediately dropped into an action sequence that kept going for around 10 minutes while I learned some of the basics of controlling my new VR Super Hero persona.

While the prologue is nicely done quite frankly I wish the rest of this game would have followed suit in this same style. At the conclusion of the prologue sequence I was placed on a space station that I could explore and this is where the main game started. At this point you get the options to change your character and learn more about each hero's unique abilities. This is also where I was able to initiate match making and wait to for a game. I didn't really think I was going to find anyone online seeing as I was playing two days prior to release but I was pleasantly surprised when Mike Doran, the Executive Producer of the game dropped in!

Mike and I chatted for a while and then after he showed me some cool costumes that could be unlocked we proceeded into one of the games environments to begin our battle with the forces of evil. Again upon dropping into the level I was gawking at the graphics but then the action kicked in and things got crazy! We battled for a few rounds and in the end took down both Venom and Ultron.

I have to say that I did have fun playing Marvel Powers United and can really see the level of detail and fan service the developers put into the game, but in the end I felt it was a bit repetitive. I so much wish that Sanzaru and Oculus would have opted for more of a Co-Op story/mission based approach vs the arena style wave shooter that this game really is at its core. Talking more with Mike he said they are still actively developing and improving the game and that we should see more in the future with free DLC's. So there is still hope that this game will mature into something more than what we are seeing at release.

So, if you are a die hard Marvel fan or someone who really enjoys team based online wave shooting then this game is gonna be great for you, but if you are looking for something a bit deeper you might want to wait to see what the future holds for Marvel Powers United VR.

BTW....Sorry for the poor audio quality... The in game VOIP was not that great and had a lot of popping when the other player spoke []-(
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"
27 REPLIES 27

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
How about texture quality - is it like Ethan Carter/Lone Echo/Seeking Dawn - and do you think high-end video cards can run the game using SS 1.5+?

Thanks! (I did not see all 40 min of your nice video - my apologies if you've answered my questions in the video). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Digikid1
Consultant
I just watched to see if you were gonna destroy that TV or not.  😛 😄

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
 Lovely video !
This game looks WAAAYYY better than I expected. A shame that it feels repetetive.
The executive producer popping up and showing of made my day .. lol 

Be good, die great !

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
@RuneSR2 It's not as polished looking as some of those games but still looks great in the Rift! I used a GTX1070 and SS at 1.3 and it ran fine even while recording. []-)
"I have seen the light at the end of the tunnel, and it is the headlamp of the oncoming virtual hype train!"

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
@Digikid1 Believe me.. It is always on my mind! But in all the years I have been doing VR I've only ever came close never actually made contact! [;]-)

vrgamerdude
Heroic Explorer
@KlodsBrik Yeah I was happy with the look of the game and having Mike pop in was a real bonus! Playing solo felt a bit hollow but playing with others is where this game is gonna shine! []-)

falken76
Expert Consultant
This looks like a polished turd.  The moves look boring.  All he does is throw a shield?  Does it have more variety in attack?  It looks like this game would use two buttons if it were on a controller.

MowTin
Expert Trustee
I think this could have been open world. Megaton Rainfall (terrible name) is coming to the Rift next month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tx4mGajNCHU

I'll still buy Marvel Powers. It looks like it can be fun as a coop fun. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@MowTin - 11/17/17 isn't next month, or have they changed the date? One thing I like about this game is that you can see people running about. I always want to see that in a flight sims because I think it makes things much more realistic. They never do it in flight sims and I would also love to peeper a few people with some type of weapon..