cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hellblade VR Trailer

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Ninja Theory are bringing VR to Hellblade, or is that Hellblade to VR. Yikes! Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice will come to VR on Oculus Rift and HTC Vive on July 31st! If you own or buy Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice on Steam, the VR Edition will be included for free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqlFK1KcoS8

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
215 REPLIES 215

nrosko
Superstar

Zenbane said:

nrosko said:
Chronos is brilliant but got criticized for its fixed camera, but i'm talking more about over the shoulder first person like in Hellblade. I can only think of Edge of Nowhere that did it, what others are there? Also Capcom said the Resident Evil2 remake would not work well in VR due to the over shoulder 3rd person. 

lol - Chronos was only criticized by people who have a natural inclination to criticize. Being critical online is all the rage these days; but that act of criticism in itself does not hold any merit anyway.

I thoroughly enjoyed both Chronos and Edge of Nowhere despite their 3rd person camera. Other great titles that employ the same camera include Lucky's Tale, and cross-platform titles like Along Together. Heck, even Racing Sims like Project Cars allowed over the shoulder camera. And there's plenty of VR Flight games that use this type of camera system for both the Rift and GO.

I do recall that the "criticism" surrounding the 3rd Person Camera VR experience with games like Chronos was all about how "it breaks immersion." But those same people don't have a problem with the plague of immersion breaking elements from titles like, SkyrimVR. The gaming experience is filled with a spammy Menu system and the inability to actually grab anything... but that didn't stop SkyrimVR from getting high praises.

I've completely lost faith in mainstream reviews for VR titles. People are either fishing for clickthroughs or Likes/Subscriptions. That's why I look to this community. I love reviews from ShadowMask, and I enjoy writing my own reviews as well. More recently, I enjoy the thoroughness of posters like RuneSR2.

Some posters seem more interested in reflecting the mainstream rhetoric, or simply latch on to "ideals" about a game instead of judging the game on its own merit.

Chronos was criticized more for the disorienting nature of the camera angles in relation to your controls as you first walk into the room. I think it was fair criticism of the game but like i said i'm not talking about fixed cameras. 
Lucky's Tale got criticized for its barf inducing floaty camera so not a good example. I'm talking about reviews & opinions on steam & oculus home btw whether you take any notice of them isn't relevant to the discussion.  
Racing & flying sims have a first person option which is was 99% of VR users use so again not a good example. 
Fact is there are few games that employ a similar camera to Hellblade & i have seen it time & time again people dismiss the idea of games like witcher working in VR & already gave you an example of a developer saying the same thing. 
Remember i said 'there is an idea that they do not work well not that they do not.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
lucky's tale barf inducing?  that is the 1st time i have seen this i think.  i have no issue with it, never had.... (unlike somegames)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

nrosko
Superstar

lucky's tale barf inducing?  that is the 1st time i have seen this i think.  i have no issue with it, never had.... (unlike somegames)

read the Oculus reviews almost every other comment mentions it. 

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

I played the original game when it came out. Probably one of the best titles I've played in a long time. Amazing graphics and fully original story and content. Really dark too.

couldn't agree more. Might be the best graphics + use of audio in a game to date. HOWEVER: I literately JUST beat this on my PC! If I would have known I would have waited! Guess I'll give it another go! 

bigmike20vt
Visionary

nrosko said:

that means nothing however without knowing peoples VR legs......... Assetto Corsa made my father in-law feel peaky, but most people who are ok with VR in general have no such problems.

i think 3rd person and isometric 3D stuff is way easier on vr legs than 1st person.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

nrosko
Superstar

nrosko said:

that means nothing however without knowing peoples VR legs......... Assetto Corsa made my father in-law feel peaky, but most people who are ok with VR in general have no such problems.

i think 3rd person and isometric 3D stuff is way easier on vr legs than 1st person.

I don't think one format is any more vomit inducing than the other, i think unexpected camera movement can cause it for some people & that was really the issue for LT. If you read the reviews there are those who have prev experience of other titles & yet it made them ill & other with not much VR history & didn't have an issue but it clearly is an issue as its a consistent comment and as such probably not a great example of 3rd person. 
If you watch the interview for Hellblade they talk about the work they had to do to get it to work & it looks like the way it works is similar to Edge of nowhere. So going back to my original point there are very few games in VR doing this where you are following behind the character in 3rd person & hopefully this game will encourage more.  

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Why is there two versions on steam for HellBlade, if they said they were adding it to the existing HellBlade? There's a normal version and a VR version..

bigmike20vt
Visionary
It is free tho right if you buy core game? Maybe it is so they can get accurate numbers for the numbers of vr users?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

It is free tho right if you buy core game? Maybe it is so they can get accurate numbers for the numbers of vr users?

Maybe the VR version saves you installing the 2D version making the file smaller? Anyone know?

MowTin
Expert Trustee
My guess is they didn't want to alter the flat version and risk errors and issues. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2