cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLVED! I repaired Oculus and uninstalled - Now I cant install at all

Jackwilly92
Honored Guest
(I now saw afterwards that I posted this on general and not on Support, Im trying to find out how to delete this post, not sure yet.. )
Hi,
yesterday I downloaded Oculus Rift for Touch and also installed everything, it all went ok, then when it came to the configuration of the Headset and this stuff happend:
I could connect the 2 sensors, the Headset usb, BUT NOT the Headset Hdmi- we tried all kind of things, we updated drivers to the latest for both nvidia and usbs. We looked at troubleshooting for this issue and found alot of things to try. We tried to just plug out and in the cord that goes into the VR headset, we tried alot... 

Finally we talked about just trying to uninstall it or repair the software, we pressed repair and apperantly the whole software (4,83 GB) needed to be downloaded again.
It seems like it had been uninstalled from the computer, anyways now we are here:
When I press the OculusSetup for installation it goes quickly from 0 bytes to 4,83 GB (like the files acually exist on my computer) and then it says "INSTALLING...", but it never finishes, it says like this:
Restart the computer. 
An error occured during the installation. Restart the computer and try running the Oculus Setup again. Om you still have problems contact Oculus Support. 
(
This might not be the exact error message since I translated the message from Swedish to English)

We've tried restarting the computer several times but the same thing happens again and again.
We've also tried downloading the Rift-patch installationpack, but whenever we start it this message occured:
Already Uninstalled.
Oculus Setup is already uninstalled. If you're having trouble, please contact Oculus Support.

We sat 5 hours last night and I really just want to start. I would be so glad to get this working. Thanks so much!

ps:
This is a link to my laptop and its specs if needed to solve  the problem: 
https://www.mediamarkt.se/sv/product/_lenovo-legion-y520-15-6-gaming-laptop-80tv01bemx-1303540.html#...
12 REPLIES 12

Digikid1
Consultant
Download the free version of CCleaner and run a full cleanup and scan and fix the registry a few times until it says no errors found in ccleaner. Reboot. Then try the setup again. If successful then uninstall ccleaner. 

Jackwilly92
Honored Guest
Okey thanks Ill try that!

Richooal
Consultant

The link you gave for your laptop specs, says it has a GTX1050 - 2GB.
That's not nearly enough for the Rift. The 1050 Ti is the minimum. Also laptops are generally problematic for the Rift. You may never get it to work.

Edit: I just googled your laptop. Bad news I'm afraid.
The HDMI connector needs to be connected directly to the GTX1050 to work with the Rift. Your laptop has the HDMI connected directly to the internal 630 graphics chip.
Here's a link to my source..............
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Lenovo-Legion-Legion-Y520-HDMI-and-1050/td-p/3785342

i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
For the OP is this marked solved because you have the 1050 and it won't run because of that?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Jackwilly92
Honored Guest

Richooal said:

The link you gave for your laptop specs, says it has a GTX1050 - 2GB.
That's not nearly enough for the Rift. The 1050 Ti is the minimum. Also laptops are generally problematic for the Rift. You may never get it to work.

Edit: I just googled your laptop. Bad news I'm afraid.
The HDMI connector needs to be connected directly to the GTX1050 to work with the Rift. Your laptop has the HDMI connected directly to the internal 630 graphics chip.
Here's a link to my source..............
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Gaming-Laptops/Lenovo-Legion-Legion-Y520-HDMI-and-1050/td-p/3785342

Okey, because now I dont have the installing problem, only the HDMI problem I described earlier. So this means I need to buy a new laptop, or is it anyway I can reroute the HDMI on my current laptop (maybe if I hand it in to a computershop) ?

Richooal
Consultant

Okey, because now I dont have the installing problem, only the HDMI problem I described earlier. So this means I need to buy a new laptop, or is it anyway I can reroute the HDMI on my current laptop (maybe if I hand it in to a computershop) ?

No, sorry, even the computer shop can't help. Even if they could, you'd be paying heaps and still have a below minimum spec GPU.
You should be aiming for at least a GTX1060 (6GB)  and labelled "VR Ready". But be warned that even some "VR Ready" laptops don't work with the Rift.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

mirabelle_linna
Honored Guest
I'm having the same issue and it is not solved. Nevermind, it sorted itself out, I don't know how though.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
It might be a better idea of you posted your own thread to leave this one for the OP.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

Digikid1 said:

Download the free version of CCleaner and run a full cleanup and scan and fix the registry a few times until it says no errors found in ccleaner. Reboot. Then try the setup again. If successful then uninstall ccleaner. 

These programs that claim to fix your registry are not a good idea. I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole because a lot of the time they can create problems. I'd rather reinstall windows then have these programs messing with my registry. There's also the option to do a System Restore..