New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Medium Suggestions

Comments

• JellybitJellybit Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    edited May 2018
    Toggle Elements in Rec Playbacks - Recording is very useful in social media, however, sometimes we use anatomy reference that's not safe for social media, or the avatar gets in the way of some clear video of the creation process. It would help a lot if we could toggle elements like Avatar, Brush shape, and References independently. I would love to just go in and censor my existing reference, but it's embedded in the rec file, and the file format is too complicated for me to figure out.

More Control Over Rec Playbacks - This is less necessary than the above, but it would be a "nice to have". Currently, timelapses of Medium sculpting on youtube are extremely erratic in first person, and in third person, it's almost impossible to see the details of what's being done. If we're able to get rid of the avatar like the above, it would be fantastic if we could lock the sculpt rotation to the viewer's control so we could clearly show the sculpting work itself, maybe even put that locked rotation on a lathe to record the whole process for social media. All the data is there in the Rec file. We would just have to ignore general document manipulation by the recorded session, and give that control to the viewing user. Zbrush does rotation smoothing in their timelapse playback to avoid that jittery erratic angle changing, so maybe there's something there, but Medium does a LOT more rotation than ZBrush in normal use.

Timeline Jumping - Oculus has official video tutorials, and encourages users to download new ones. I can't tell you how many times I had to restart a 10+ minute tutorial from scratch because I missed a spoken line, or missed a menu someone went into. This really should be fixed.  I would love if this were possible in rec playbacks too, but I understand that may be more complicated. I am trying to use Medium with social media more, and not having this control makes it very difficult to put a timelapse video together that isn't flying all over the place and allows the viewer to see the details of the work. More control over those recordings would allow me to change the camera angle when necessary and present it in a better light. As it is right now, Medium is a bit of a nightmare for social media compared to the stuff other art apps can do, and the nature of other types of digital art.

Masking - I know I know, much requested feature. This is greatly needed in the move tool for the ability to pose characters. Also having it in the cut tool would allow for more precision and complexity. It would be helpful in paint mode to be able to mask a selection. I have no idea how it would be helpful in clay mode.

Resolution Indication - I don't know if I'm alone in this, but it's frustrating. Imagine you're working in photoshop, and each layer is a random resolution, with no clear indication of what that might be. Merging layers would result in some blurry parts, some overly sharp parts, or might even downgrade the resolution of the clear parts. It could get maddening depending on what you're trying to do. Currently, in Medium, once you get into non-default resolution, it's a nightmare trying to work with layers to merge in a way that matches/retains all the visual information.

In order to judge if a different layer is the same resolution as the layer I plan on merging with, I have to tilt the layer so that the edge of the bounding box touches the floor in a specific spot, undo the rotation, choose the new layer, tilt it again to the floor, undo, and if it differs, up or down the resolution. Even if it just shows the bounding box during the highlight phase, I would be able to judge easily by toggling between. Instead, it only shows the box when rotating the layer, which I have to undo after the check. Currently, my workaround is to duplicate a layer, and erase everything on it, but I've unintentionally left artifacts behind before because I couldn't see it all, and I have to plan ahead on which parts are going to merge with which other parts.

• stayinwonderlandstayinwonderland Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I second the path stroke suggestion.

So I'm sat here in the middle of a project for the studio I work for and I need to draw a snake but from a tricky angle. I instinctively keep thinking about reaching out to 3d or VR to place this snake in 3d space, ideally in Oculus Medium. But I would need a spline which I could push and pull, smooth out, get the curve just right and then have OM stroke that path with a brush to make a snake-like tube. Ideally where I could choose a taper % for start and end.
  • JellybitJellybit Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Yes, I too would love a way to get splines in there. The way Gravity Sketch does lines feels SO good, but I also understand that you want to keep more physicality. I just think spline tools are maybe more physical feeling than the move tool, so it should fit within stated goals.

I have a couple more suggestions:

Latest Tools In Order Of Latest Usage - Currently, the latest tools are all kept there in the order they were originally used. This results in my most used tools being in random places in this long list of stupid shapes I was just trying out for fun or to see what they did. This makes 90% of the latest tool list a hindrance instead of helpful.

Favorite Tools On Main Clay Menu- I'd also like a few slots below the sphere, square, and pill on the main page to mark my three favorite stamps.

Custom Stamp Size Adjustment - I'd like to adjust the usage size of my custom stamps. Currently, when I make a long stamp, the maximum size is shrunk to lose all detail. It's very frustrating to make a stamp the maximum size, and still have it be tiny. What if I want to make buildings in a higher resolution city scene? I have to first stamp in low resolution, then raise the resolution. I can't stamp in the high resolution scene without the buildings being tiny, so either way, I get a very low resolution stamp, losing all the detail I tried to put into the stamp originally. There is no indication that I would be losing so much detail, so I can't even design around that limitation. I just find out after the fact that my detail work is lost.

Steadycam For Better Shared Media - I would love some sort of steadycam/lazymouse option on my camera so I can take smooth videos of my work. I do a walk around, and it shakes all over the place with both my headset cam, and my hand cam. Most phones nowadays have video steadying to solve this problem, and that's dealing with real life footage. It must be a hundred times easier to do the same thing in VR to have pleasant videos to share on social media.

Custom Move Shape - Maybe this falls under masking, but maybe not. It would be great if I could change to a pill shape for move, or any brush shape at all. I can imagine why this would be difficult to do mathematically, so I understand why you wouldn't do it, but if you used custom brushes, the center could scale based on normals. Or you could let the user paint the brush shape purely with the sphere if you wanted to simplify the math. I don't know. I just know that there are so many times when I need some sort of long thin area of influence so that I don't mess up the rest of the model to fix a problem in an area I was forced to merge due to a lack of layers.
  • ParhelionParhelion Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Jellybit said:
    Steadycam For Better Shared Media - I would love some sort of steadycam/lazymouse option on my camera so I can take smooth videos of my work. I do a walk around, and it shakes all over the place with both my headset cam, and my hand cam. Most phones nowadays have video steadying to solve this problem, and that's dealing with real life footage. It must be a hundred times easier to do the same thing in VR to have pleasant videos to share on social media.

This would be cool. I like this idea.
  • stayinwonderlandstayinwonderland Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I personally really need a way to monitor the resolution of layer and the scene as a whole. I increase the resolution of a layer but I don't know by how much, what the consequences and how close I am to slowing Medium down - or - what the consequences will be at export. I could be sculpting something impossible to export for all I know.

Overall, resolution is the biggest killer for me. I'm often sculpting way lower in detail than I'm comfortable with and it feels very frustrating to have little control over details because I'm afraid to up-res and bulk up my scene. It can only handle a few increments of that before it's maxed out and it still feels fairly low res.

Additional: needs more sculpting tools like pinch etc. just having build-up and erase feels limited.
    thx
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 776
    3Jane
    Medium 2.0 suggestions for the file browser:

1. Please bring the Username+Date file name schema back as the default, instead of the new "Untitled" name when saving new files. The date-based naming schema was extremely good for a number of reasons. It avoids naming conflicts when saving files without giving them a proper name. It also lets you see a glance when the file was created even when the created date isn't displayed. 
    2. Make the digital keyboard movable, or push it back about 1/4 meter so it's not sitting directly on your belly when you're sitting in a lean-back chair. The position of the keyboard makes it difficult to type when sitting unless you're standing, or sitting straight up or leaning forward in a chair.
    3. Add the Documents folder to the PC tab.
    4. Enable window scrolling using the joysticks.
    5. Save the window position when the file browser window is moved, and restore it to that position when it is opened again. (This goes for all windows).
    6. Maybe don't hide the /Documents/Medium folder in the browser. It's a little confusing. Is there a reason why it's hidden?

And above all, keep up the good work. You guys are amazing! :smile:

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,715 Valuable Player
    FTR - points 1&6 are bugging me a bit too! Just a bit, mind. Update is still king of epic! 
  • Adamska_VoyevodaAdamska_Voyevoda Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Have not read all suggestions, but here's one:

I was painting some tomato plants today, and as I approach to paint the leaves on the tomato, I noticed how unpractical it was to paint so easily stuff underneath that, like the fruit itself, so I had to go from red and green to paint my natural mistakes.
    I thought that maybe you guys could implement (this is to avoid creating layer after layer where its not needed) a "paper or cardboard "  sheet for the support hand that can be toggled from the Paint tool. So this sheet could be place exactly underneath the only thing you want to get paint, avoiding paint to fly over to stuff underneath or far from where you just want to be painting (hard to describe this process without an adequate virtual sculpting dictionary). Paint shield or some function like that...

Thanks for the update! UI is feeling much complex and inviting to try more stuff out
  • BiteyThingBiteyThing Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Medium is my favorite program (desktop or vr) to create in.. Favorite program period, really :) This is mostly nit-picky stuff, but wanted to add my .02...

- Remove frame around reference images. I like to use PNG's with alphas

- Pressing down on the left thumbstick should always gives you options based on current layer. Currently you seem to have to select the layer even if it's already active in order to see the options... Much of the time at least(?)

- Creating a new sculpt layer has to be one of the most used buttons. Being at the bottom of the popup with the other tiny buttons, it's not easy to reach... Kind of missing all that stuff popping up right in your face... Getting used to it though :)

- Have the scene objects hidden by default... Just thinking of the audio object i guess

- Ability to toggle to a specified tool, last tool, or a menu(?) with the y-button (kinda like with the left trigger) ...If not, maybe split up some of the menus or include the options from 1.x there as a quicker way to reach them.

- Ability to customize the skybox and ground

- Ability to setup a default save folder... I moved "my documents" to my D drive, but Medium still prefers my small SSD C drive.

- Would be nice if Inflate tool didn't eat away at thin pieces of geometry

- A brush like zbrush's Dam Standard

- Pickiest of all the nit-picks.... The sound for the "single" stamp option used to only play once. Last couple/few updates it repeats
  • Sterling77Sterling77 Posts: 514
    Neo
    @BiteyThing the dam standard perspective is already available - just how your thinking of it - switching to surface and inverting the sphere then softly pressing the trigger will give you the dam standard. 
    Brain Burst
    @Sterling77 I was thinking that would be pretty much like the chisel brush or something. I'll try using less trigger, and try higher resolutions as well. Thanks  B)
  • OctopsOctops Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    How about using an adaptive voxel grid rather than a fixed one...so you'll get the resolution you need, where you need it, not only limited to subdividing the whole layer.
    edited July 2018
    When I'm using the lazor selection in layers mode it'd be handy as hell if I had a "shift key" (maybe the support hand trigger) to select multiple objects without having to use the checkboxes in the panel

Also if move tool had a limit to selected (ie. multiple layers, instead of just single or all) that would be well wicked
    Neo
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    When I'm using the lazor selection in layers mode it'd be handy as hell if I had a "shift key" (maybe the support hand trigger) to select multiple objects without having to use the checkboxes in the panel

Also if move tool had a limit to selected (ie. multiple layers, instead of just single or all) that would be well wicked

Hold the left trigger and select with the right - its the shift key :):smile:
    @Sterling77 no way? Man, I'm such a noob
    Neo
    haha lol - Its good but still no shift select and hide those layers - that would be helpful. 
    Brain Burst
    P3nT4gR4m said:
    Yes! Especially when working on heads and you don't want the eyes to move! If not this, then someway to mask/protect specific layers

Also - The ability to solo a layer's visibility.

You can actually select multiple layers and hit the hide btn in the options panel to hide them all... That's pretty awesome :smile:

Really hoping we get Steady Stroke with Surface mode back in the next update
  • ParhelionParhelion Posts: 37
    Brain Burst
    Really hoping we get Steady Stroke with Surface mode back in the next update

Same here my dude. Same here.
  • MechNuggetsMechNuggets Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Move tool shape
    I dont know if this has been suggested before but it would be really useful to be able to change the shape of the move tool to a custom stamp or at least a square. 
  • MetronsMetrons Posts: 48
    Brain Burst
    edited July 2018
    LOVING the update to 2.0!!! After working in 2.0 for about a week now, i have some more suggestions please. 

1. PLEASE let us turn off the brush when sculpting. i can NEVER tell whats going on when i'm trying to cut through something. I always see this red mass, with a white outline. it's impossible to tell at times what i'm doing. i'm begging-begging-begging! PLEASE let us turn this off. if i'm sculpting in real life, i see what i'm taking away with my tools, i dont need some visual representation of my brush in medium when i'm sculpting. it's impossible to see. again, i'm begging you guys, PLEASE, PLEASE let us turn this off. 

2. we really need the ability to scale our stamps!!! i think i've mentioned this before. if i have a tube shape, let me scale that in Z (with incremental snapping as an option) then my tube shape is a pipe, we could get SO MUCH MORE out of EVERY stamp if we could scale them. again, i believe this would be massively important to EVERYONE who uses medium. every stamp now has the potential to be so much more. 

3. PLEASE let there be an option *similar to zbrush* about brush size being relative to my sculpt. I work in cm units and my characters are always a few meters or so in height. in medium though, if i want to have a tiny brush shape. i literally have ZERO fidelity in the size of my brush shape. if i resize up just a TINY bit it explodes in size. this again is a MUST for anyone who sculpts. PLEASE add this. i'm dying not being to get the right brush size i want. 

4. independent mirror planes! If i'm working on a characters armor, lets say he needs some forearm straps or metal plates, shoulder pads. almost always these shapes that are symmetrical, i'd LOVE to create a custom mirror plane, center it on the character arm and start sculpting. this is basically impossible atm, i can only do this in X axis and hope i have the right size for the arm, it's a total guessing game. impossible. this could be so damned useful for so, so  many reasons. 

5. mesh instances please!!! i like working on the origin and having my instances duplicated through out my scene. this is a piece of cake in modo. it would be SO DAMNED USEFUL in medium though. PLEASE let us have instances. If i have to sculpt a grenade or something, i dont want to sculpt that on some rotated axis, i need things to be perfectly symmetrical. this is why you make little props or whatever at 0,0,0 i love starting with a basic shape, instance those all over my character and then continue to work on the parent mesh and see all my instances update. SO DAMNED HANDY. please, please, please give us instances!

6. another thing as a character artist that would be essential to have would be more mirroring tools. radial mirror, radial instances, radial instances with mirroring on X axis *3d coat does this*. any character artist, prop artist will tell you how valuable and amazing mirroring tools are. 

7. everyone says it but masking please! i'd LOVE to mask an area, then extrude that shape out as a separate armor plate for example. 3d coat also does this. i use the masking and extracting tools in zbrush all the time. I also find countless situations in medium where i'd kill to mask off some geo. please add masking, extracting tools with bevel profiles and height please!

8. all of our UI pop ups in medium are almost always occluded by my sculpts at times. instead, i have to zoom out, get a view where i can see what my menu options are. PLEASE turn the UI windows semi transparent or something so if i pull up my layers, i can select my layer through my sculpt because i can SEE what is there. this is so damned tedious. 

9. custom hdr background images please!!! i have a huge collection that i use in substance painter/designer, i'd love to have these as my env in medium. 
  • rataphractrataphract Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I really want to use Medium to kind of, make virtual scale models. Unfortunately I really need the following tools, like, badly:

1 - A ruler. Just. Like. A virtual ruler. Please.

2 - A protractor and set square.

3 - The equivalent of a virtual drill press/lathe. The lathe tool... doesn't work like a lathe. I need to be able to put a tool on a rail, or similar straight line, and sweep it around with some kind of variance. Not just for cuts, but also for textures like putting knurling on something. I need to be able to put objects on a lathe and work on them with a horizontal axis of spin. I also want to be able to precisely position a tool, or a straight line, before sweeping it across the clay.

4 - I need something like a jig or guide. So I could, for instance, do a row of cannons in parallel on the deck of a pirate ship, or whatever. Align objects to a ruler/set square. That kind of thing.

I really like Medium, but I also really want to use it in ways that make me wish I could put my controllers in bench vices so I can get some precision with what I'm trying to do. :P

Neo
    All the rulers can be imported as images - and don't scale them. Rescale in meshmixer to the unit dimensions you require. You could set up a physical slide rail in the real world along the vertical lathe axis, and get similar results. Interesting suggestions. 
  • Salem2077Salem2077 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I don't know if this has come up, but it would be absolutely AMAZING; to have a downloadable stamps section, either in medium itself or on this website. 
    Neo
    @DeadlyJoe Agreed - a camera that's independant would be very cool - the ability to track and build sequences in medium would be awesome - shouldn't be that hard :)
  • CoveropCoverop Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I'm surprised how well designed Oculus Medium Is.

The only thing I can suggest is a mask tool.... like you darken an area where tools (such as Move tool) will not be affected by it.
    If you're drag-scrolling the new scene browser panel and you accidentally move off the actual panel with the trigger still down, the currently selected scene element moves. Would be tidy if you could limit focus to the layer panel until trigger release. Not a big issue but it can be annoying
  • NickOh73NickOh73 Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited August 2018
    1. Stamps (Color & Clay)
    2. Spline guides
    3. A way to move through your scene by using the Thump stick as an option. Useful in big scenes and for video recording.
  • Chaser3DChaser3D Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    DeadlyJoe said:
    Video recording suggestion -- Lock the camera to the sculpture.

Transform the camera's position and orientation into a given layer's coordinate system, so that the camera moves and rotates with the layer, as if it's locked in place relative to the layer. Therefore, when the video is played back, the sculpture will appear to be stable with respect to the camera, and the user's avatar will appear to rotate around it.

I think this would be insanely cool, because it would allow us to produce high-speed time lapse videos that aren't super twitchy. From the camera's point of view, the sculpture would simply evolve without moving.
    If this camera position could be saved with the file it would allow for clayanimation style work (Which is something I'd love to do)
  • Sculptress34Sculptress34 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Is it possible to use Medium with one hand?  I have RSI in my right hand and it's hard to hold the menu up for very long.  Could I put the support menu into the environment, so I don't have to hold my right arm up?  Could the controls for the trigger finger and grip button that could stay on screen as well?