cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook loses 120 Billion overnight, will this effect the Rift?

falken76
Expert Consultant
Will the 120 Billion dollar loss in stock on facebook effect the rift in any way?  What do you think?
36 REPLIES 36

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Just interesting to remember that HTC just received $2b from Google - so that puts things into perspective.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
It won't effect the Rift, but it affected me to some degree. I'd be happy with £200 in my bank account to spend right now.

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
I think it will not hurt VR production and all. Facebook wants to get into our brains for world domination - there's a price to pay for that and stuff.
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star
In this day and age, that kind of loss is almost yawn developing. There is so much money in these large corps that its almost expected from time to time. Stocks are always going to fluctuate one way or another. These corps don't get there by being concerned about it. They ride it through and carry on.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

falken76
Expert Consultant

Zenbane said:

Zuckerberg also owns instagram, which is now worth more than 100 billion dollars.

Dropping pocket change in the couch usually doesn't make someone go belly up, na' mean?

I mean look at HTC, they are still doing fine even though they have been "negative" revenue for years. Even with this market share loss, Facebook is still making positive revenue.

Wow, I didn't realize 120 Billion dollars with a "B" was pocket change.  If I were him I can't help but think the thought "Damn 120 Billion lost in 1 day, that exceeds the value of Instagram by 20 Billion dollars!" and not "Oh well, it was 120 Billion, that's pocket change" would be running through my head when I was able to draw my focus off the many ulcers that developed over night.   And here I am, I had to back out of my McDonalds Sausage McGriddle aquisition today because I am short 35 cents for the tax....  My deal was literally killed due to a lack of "pocket change"

falken76
Expert Consultant

In this day and age, that kind of loss is almost yawn developing. There is so much money in these large corps that its almost expected from time to time. Stocks are always going to fluctuate one way or another. These corps don't get there by being concerned about it. They ride it through and carry on.

This shareholder sees things differently:

I don't give 2 shits as long as it doesn't hurt Oculus R & D

PhoenixSpyder
Rising Star

falken76 said:

This shareholder sees things differently:

I don't give 2 shits as long as it doesn't hurt Oculus R & D

I agree, it's the shareholders that become concerned. The problem with such huge corps now-a-days is some are approaching 1 trillion dollars, so even a small % drop can cause serious repercussions in the stock market for those who own much. One of my friends was loosing $35k per day during the last serious stock market crash...he has long since recovered...after riding through the storm. His comment was: 'If I don't have the cold hard cash in my hand, even though there is a digital number stating what I have...it can be gone in an instant...and there's no way of getting back unless something recovers'... That is the only way to really look at it, without worry, and to ride the stock market...it is very volatile. FB is a prime example of how things can change over night...and as large corps grow larger...things are just going to get all the more volatile for those who play the game.

i7 8700k; 5ghz (water cooled), Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, Corsair 270R case, EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Toshiba 3tB HD, Rift (dead), Rift S, Win 10 Pro 2004, Inateck KT4006 USB3.0

But it's 120 billion that was gained since May. I don't think he was jumping around shouting about that gain, any more than he's now miserable about the loss. That's total share value by the way, not what he lost.

Prices go up and they go down, no big deal for him bearing in mind what he's gained since the start. Perspective is a wonderful thing.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
If reason, and pragmatic decisions rules the board rooms of modern America the tech industry would be a happier place, but as we have seen (such as with ML), rash and poorly judged decisions and greed steer a lot of outcomes. Its difficult to see who could lead FB after MarkZ, and if the board did take away his ability to steer new investment would he stay? But for OVR, the issues shaping its future have more to do with the reactions to the launches planned in the next 12-months!
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Totally agree, Oculus' future depends on Oculus. Maybe over the next year or maybe they'll be even more sensible and keep the investment bullish for 5 years. I'd say VR needs that length of time before the arguments over its future go away.