cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marvel Powers United: Reviews and Impressions

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Feel free to use this thread to post your thoughts on the game, as well as discuss different strategies, tips, tricks, etc.

A quick overview of my initial thoughts & impressions:
  • At release, I would give MPU a rating of 8/10. I remove 2 points only because the game really needs a strong Campaign.
  • The intro has a Prologue experience that is very much "epic campaign" style. This prologue leaves you craving more. There's little doubt that we'll see future updates for this epic campaign style coming to MPU (much like we've seen with The Unspoken), but for now... after the prologue you are essentially playing a multiplayer battle royale.
  • MPU is not just another wave Shooter. I would best describe this as, The Unspoken meets Robo Recall.
  • Playing as different characters does yield different "physical" strategies. If you want to be Spider Man, then get your "ring finger" ready, because you'll be spraying webs using the Grip button. If you want to play as Thor, then get not just your Arm ready for lots of swinging (think "hammer smashed faces") but also your pointer finger ready for lots of trigger lightning blasts. If you want to play as the Hulk, get your shoulders and legs ready for constant action.
  • Characters have a unique list of Powers, each of which are executed and activated differently. There's a progression system in place to reward you for mastering your Powers. There's a wide variety of achievements and unlocks available; from "character poses," to unique Outfits, to decorations for your space station (the entire game has you and your friends running around a 2-story space station above the Earth).
  • You can fly! When I first loaded the game I played as Spider Man. I ended up jumping atop a high pedestal and shooting webs down at the enemies. I thought I was so cool... until Star Lord and Dr. Strange literally "flew" by my head. In my next game I loaded up Thor, and sure enough... I was able to flying overhead and send my hammer and lightning down upon foes.
  • Teamwork is required. The objectives in each map involve more than just blasting enemies away until the end. You have to coordinate your attacks in order to achieve victory (defending multiple silo's at once). You also have to retrieve various objects and return them to a location in order to succeed. Something that can't be done easily without teamwork. The same goes for boss battles. While in their current form they are not overly complex, it is really easy for your entire group to get destroyed. You have to pay attention to your environment as well as help Revive fallen comrades.
I've seen 2 unique strategies so far, and there are certainly plenty more to be found:
  • When defending silo's, you can use Thor and spin your hammer rapidly, using it to deflect projectiles. Captain America's shield works well for defense too.
  • When fighting a boss,  you can have Spiderman focus on 'web binding' which makes it easier to hit the villains. I was playing as Hulk and I pounded Loki's spine for several seconds without taking damage because we had a Spiderman that knew his way with a web!

So that's the quick review. Here's a lengthier breakdown of the experience:

Note that my machine is not very high-end. I have a 980 GPU and for most of these initial screenshots, the game settings were at "low" graphic detail and low resolution. I ended up increasing the settings to "medium" with 70% resolution. Things began to look much crisper without sacrificing performance. However, if you have a beefy VR GPU then you can enjoy this game at its highest graphic detail and res.

The entire experience begins with a fantastic single-player prologue (a campaign). You start off choosing either Captain America or Black Widow. As you progress throughout the campaign you will encounter other heroes and all of the villains. It's a wonderful introduction to bringing the Marvel Universe in to Virtual Reality.

My absolute favorite part is when Captain Marvel asked me to take her hand,

wye9k3jmw93n.jpg

Once I gripped her hand, there was a stunning sequence where I was holding her shoulder as she flew me to cruiser in the sky. That experience is EXACTLY what I was wanting out of a Superhero-based VR game,

4piyg1dgod0q.jpg

I tried to take a screenshot of me looking "down" during this flight, but the visuals are hard to capture properly because you are engulfed in Captain Marvel's flame. But when you try it, I'm sure you'll fully appreciate this experience.

Next... you're greeted by Thanos and his crew. I have to say that the entire sequence really did remind me of how lucky it is to experience this stage of Virtual Reality.

7dzdx32pxuiq.jpg

If you're a fan of games like "From Other Suns" then you'll also appreciate the fact that you can run around a space station with a nice view of Earth.

vcp5tcq8san5.jpg

This is where you'll spend most of your time as you progress through several aspects of the game.  You even get to hang out with baby Groot!

wwqhoy3yhbmm.jpg

One of your goals is to collect shards of the Cosmic Cube, while also unlocking collectibles and various custom attire for your favorite heroes. In the prologue you are limited to 2 characters, but once you enter this aspect of the game you can pick from the full list of Super Heroes. I'll update this thread at a later time with that list.

Each hero plays differently. Some of those differences are slight, others are drastic. For example, playing the Hulk is absolutely nothing like playing Spiderman. The Hulk is incredibly unique because your entire view changes.  You are a giant and everything will scale down for you, including the other super heroes. It's pretty badass, I have to admit.

There's a screen for each character that shows exactly how to use your Touch Controllers in order to utilize a character's full range of abilities,

8zt3axmc7cky.jpg

There are also screens that show your level progression with each ability, and what it will take for you to progress to the next level.

75vgsplz9f91.jpg

m2iiwml5az0u.jpg

Fighting the villains isn't overly complex, however, with some strategy and coordinated teamwork, the experience can be very rewarding. It's easy to stay away from the villains and just projectile attack them to death. However, getting up-close-and-personal is pretty damn fun.

Venom, for example, looks great up close. And his attacks are very well implemented.

yaqoobe6qr9a.jpg

pquzabck57az.jpg

Overall, this game has a worthy addiction factor if you're looking for fast-paced battle royale combat. Getting a good group of players together creates a highly rewarding experience. Especially once you start using combo attacks, where certain Superhero abilities compliment each other nicely.

I am still going through the list of Heroes, but so far the Hulk is the only one who can grab enemies with his bare hands and have some real fun with their bodies!

pvjt29vkjdwt.png

My favorite thing about MPU is that it has set a new "baseline standard" for VR experiences in terms of "context" and "content." For example, now it is going to be commonplace to have Spiderman randomly run in front of you blasting his webs...

bcnqo4iypdel.jpg

This is the "new normal." And I like it!

Not to mention that "superhero selfies" (which happen at the end of every mission) are also a new normal; which often leads to lots of laughing between Players.

s4d03zk2tkky.jpg

MPU is well-worth the price of admission. It's made not only for VR from the ground up, but it's made for those Touch Controllers. Solo play is possible for every aspect of the game (so far). However, it is not as rewarding as playing with others. If you're looking for Player's to join, feel free to use this thread to coordinate playtimes.

Happy hunting!
78 REPLIES 78

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I just whooped Thanos' arse with the help of one other player as Spiderman. Fantastic battle. I died once, and nearly died about 5 other times. He can one-shot you fairly quickly.

ungsbn53ivl4.jpg

Spoiler screenshots taken during the battle:

mn7na53qso3b.jpg

This is how he looked mid-action on my 980. Superb!

fxq3gqy6mn0r.jpg

Hulk fist to da face

I was awarded with a new Hulk Skin:

vvtclrzmz7ta.jpg

b6c2m4z9doq3.jpg

And there's till plenty more to do...

Anonymous
Not applicable
The game seems to award spamming the most powerful&comfortable talent in terms of gathering points....

Feels like a contuniation of campaign which is supposed to be a couple of hours but its just a 5 min prologue....

Seeing your body is definitely a direction in the right way but seeing your team mates they seem to stutter sometimes..

Is there a possibility the the game could be more optimised or even implement simultaneous multi projection, got a 1080 and i play with high&120 resolution !!

Other than these its FUN :dizzy:

Morgrum
Expert Trustee

I played abit yesterday and I had a blast as Cap running up and punching and shield bashing folks then tossing the shield.

It was late though after a long flight so I didn't play much.

Had a friggin blast though!

WAAAGH!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does the game crash when you guys play?  i launched the game 3 times and my first connection to a game is an instant crash just after a small freeze..and today it crashed to home during gameplay..

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Nacaryus said:

The game seems to award spamming the most powerful&comfortable talent in terms of gathering points....

This is a bit true. If a player spams their most powerful move repeatedly, they may end up with the most points/kills in a scenario. But that's not going to help the player "progress" their character. The "goals" for each character get harder and span all of a characters skills and abilities. Just spamming won't get those extra unlocks and levels.

Nacaryus said:

Does the game crash when you guys play?  i launched the game 3 times and my first connection to a game is an instant crash just after a small freeze..and today it crashed to home during gameplay..

I'm some 10 hours of total playtime so far, and only once did it "hang up" during a load screen. If it starts acting strange then just reboot your entire PC.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Zenbane said:

Nacaryus said: Does the game crash when you guys play?  i launched the game 3 times and my first connection to a game is an instant crash just after a small freeze..and today it crashed to home during gameplay..
I'm some 10 hours of total playtime so far, and only once did it "hang up" during a load screen. If it starts acting strange then just reboot your entire PC.

Had one crash last night when switching from Cap to The Hulk. It happened on a load screen possibly much like Zenbane described - played for about 2 hours, it only happened once (normally my PC does not crash). I could just remove the headset and close the game. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

MowTin
Expert Trustee
After playing with more characters, my impression has certainly changed for the better. I especially enjoyed Rocket and Deadpool with their wrist items. 

I don't think it's true that spamming your most powerful ability is the key to a high score. The weaker enemies are best taken out using the faster but weaker abilities. 

Some characters are a physical workout. My arms hurt like after the gym from Hawkeye, Wolverine and Deadpool. 

I'm loving this game so far. 

Remember there is a training room level if you want to solo and get used to a character. 
i7 9700k 3090 rtx   CV1, Rift-S, Index, G2

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I totally missed the training room level! Thanks for the tip.

I just got a new Collectible that is an instant-favorite. A radio that ends up next to baby Groot. It's hilarious to watch him perform various dance move. He even headbangs!

iq4rs7qjjlw5.jpg

yzcmiaphyd72.jpg

jzlkkbfi9d3r.jpg

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
Loving this new Hulk skin...

6xm4p4tsnyww.jpg

jamisonmiller
Expert Protege
By far one of the best VR Games I have played! A few things could be added to spice it up even more though

Things i'd like to see;

- Campaign
- Marvel cinematic universe Uniforms
-More incentive for reward (currently everything is cosmetic)
-Uniforms that alter Goals and change powers slightly ( example is Doctor Strange MCU Uniform could use The Eye of Agimotto to stun surrounding enemies as a special power, like Star-Lord's) or even change them drastically (gladiator Thor with swords, or MCU Infinity War with  Stormbreaker instead of Mjolnir. not only giving players options of heroes, but their favourite versions as well!!
-Use for Legendary Collection ( I already have all of them and they do absolutely nothing)
-And...of course...More Heros!! (there are a HEAP of hints in the Legendary collection for all types of possibilities)