cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facebook loses 120 Billion overnight, will this effect the Rift?

falken76
Expert Consultant
Will the 120 Billion dollar loss in stock on facebook effect the rift in any way?  What do you think?
36 REPLIES 36

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
I agree @DaftnDirect - but I do not think the consumer VR community will be given five years (no matter MarkZ's estimation really were on mainstream adoption!) The knives are out, and a lot rests on can the next hardware releases find a strong market adoption. We all watch OculusGO's holidays numbers with great interest.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

falken76 said:
Wow, I didn't realize 120 Billion dollars with a "B" was pocket change.  If I were him I can't help but think the thought "Damn 120 Billion lost in 1 day, that exceeds the value of Instagram by 20 Billion dollars!" and not "Oh well, it was 120 Billion, that's pocket change" would be running through my head when I was able to draw my focus off the many ulcers that developed over night.

Zuckerberg's net worth went from being the "3rd richest man on Planet Earth" to the "6th richest man on Planet Earth."

That's not a metaphor either. Even after all this news... when we look at everyone on our Planet, Mark Z. is now in 6th place in terms of overall wealth. That's the "6th wealthiest person out of 7.5+ billion people."

There was more of a chance that Facebook's VR efforts would topple over after the ZeniMax trial, and look how that turned out: Now we have the Half Dome Prototype and we've spent the entire weekend running around VR in Superhero tights.

Tough times indeed
😛

Anonymous
Not applicable

falken76 said:

In this day and age, that kind of loss is almost yawn developing. There is so much money in these large corps that its almost expected from time to time. Stocks are always going to fluctuate one way or another. These corps don't get there by being concerned about it. They ride it through and carry on.

This shareholder sees things differently:

I don't give 2 shits as long as it doesn't hurt Oculus R & D

I agree, it's the shareholders that become concerned. The problem with such huge corps now-a-days is some are approaching 1 trillion dollars, so even a small % drop can cause serious repercussions in the stock market for those who own much. One of my friends was loosing $35k per day during the last serious stock market crash...he has long since recovered...after riding through the storm. His comment was: 'If I don't have the cold hard cash in my hand, even though there is a digital number stating what I have...it can be gone in an instant...and there's no way of getting back unless something recovers'... That is the only way to really look at it, without worry, and to ride the stock market...it is very volatile. FB is a prime example of how things can change over night...and as large corps grow larger...things are just going to get all the more volatile for those who play the game.

Yup. This is known as HODL (Hold On for Dear Life). Applies to any sort of investment, including cryptocurrency. There are going to be plenty of people as sick as dogs in a few years due to not having the balls to keep hold of their Bitcoin when the market had a rather large bear run.

kzintzi
Trustee
the interesting thing I read in one of the articles about this was that Facebook/Zuckerberg had come out a few weeks ago and warned everyone that the growth results would show a shrink and no-one took any notice until now; doubt it'll have much impact on anything. people see/believe what they want to and ignore the rest
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Digikid1
Consultant

OmegaM4N said:

Stockholders won't be happy with the CEO that is for sure, could this be the end of Zuckerberg, maybe.

The end of Facebook would indeed, at least to me, be a very very VERY good thing.  As long as this doesn't affect Oculus and their products of course.  Even with FB gone Zuck can still fund Oculus....at least for a good long while hopefully.

That's a huge chunk of "pocket money" now gone though.  Wonder how he will compensate for it.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

snowdog said:

It isn't going to affect bugger all.

@snowdog... i love you man... i have been waiting on a double negative failure to post this for months 🙂

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

"Could care less" is just outrageous.    😄

Page 1 halfway down:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/576128#Comment_576128
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

bigmike20vt
Visionary
lol good spot
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Could care less REALLY gets on my tits lol

And there wasn't a double negative failure in my post.

I just don't think there isn't a problem with none if the posts here