cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why we haven't heard about CV2 yet. This makes sense for a change..

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I just did a search on Google for CV2, just to see if there was any news. I came across this article and while none of this might be true, I think it sounds about right. It makes total sense to me so I thought I'd share it. I don't think he's right about Santa Cruz been CV2 though. Do you reckon this guys right about what he's saying?

https://skarredghost.com/2017/12/20/will-oculus-cv2-released-will-ever-come-santa-cruz-will-cv2/
23 REPLIES 23

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Digikid1 said:

Newer is not always better. 

Words to live by. 

This is only good advice for the "uninformed consumer." If someone buys things without doing any real research or self-education, then yeah, they could be wasting money assuming that something new is "better" based on the mere fact that it is new lol

But generally speaking, when a well-informed consumer buys something new... it's almost always better.

Digikid1
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Digikid1 said:

Newer is not always better. 

Words to live by. 

This is only good advice for the "uninformed consumer." If someone buys things without doing any real research or self-education, then yeah, they could be wasting money assuming that something new is "better" based on the mere fact that it is new lol

But generally speaking, when a well-informed consumer buys something new... it's almost always better.

Ditto.  It means to research and be aware of what you're buying....but it is not always due to a dumb/lazy consumer.

Lets say a person has 2018 truck...a Dodge Ram for example.  He goes and leases it and falls in love with the new 2019 model.  He trades the truck in and the 2019 model is just loaded with issues galore....issues that he did not have with the earlier model.

Same thing for EVERYTHING else.  It is almost ALWAYS better to wait out new versions for a while for get things sorted out.  You will save yourself a lot of time and grief over it. 😉

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Digikid1 said:
He goes and leases it and falls in love with the new 2019 model. 

Falling in love always causes problems.

Words to live buy.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
i wonder if that new connector will be on the 11 series nvidia cards or if the design was finalised too late for it?

it would be great if it is on there as I personally only tend to update my gpu when i get at least a 100% increase in performance. Chances are my next gpu - which is almost certain to be an 1180 - i will be stuck with for some time so a connector to use the next gen of VR devices and freeing up a usb 3.0  would really be nice.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Great point @bigmike20vt - have heard a lot of tech observers mute this point about adoption-rates for the new connector by the time people come round to updating their system. Just because some devs have agreed a standard does not mean that the consumer base has the ability or inclination to swap over to it without a reason why. The hope that people will adopt USB-C (VR standard) without seeing a CV2 or Vive2 (or LG or Samsung) system that warrants the increased investment is dangerous.

Side-note - This is a little bit of history repeating, when working in the last phase of VR back in the 1990's, we saw SGi and MS try and form a cartel towards establishing a standard for cable and SDK for initial VR development - that came just before the steam ran out of VR around 1997 (corporations circling their wagons as the snow approaches!) 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

nalex66 said:

RedRizla said:

CV1 is awesome and it happened just when I was getting bored with 2D gaming. I can't imagine how awesome CV2 is going to be and I really can't wait to see it. I hope they produce loads when it goes on sale otherwise they will crash the internet with their pre-orders..

I think some people are going to be upset when CV2 comes out.  A lot of people seeem to think CV2 will be massively better than CV1.  I know CV2 will be better than CV1.  I just think it is not going to be the massive upgrade some people think it will be. 

Some people are always going to upset about anything that happens, even if it’s better than our wildest imaginings.

Personally, I don’t think Oculus will release a CV2 unless it is a massive upgrade over CV1. It won’t just be incremental improvements in resolution or FOV, it will also include game-changing new features, as demonstrated by the Half Dome prototype. 

If they get rid of the god rays issue in the CV2 then that for me will be a massive upgrade and a win, things are just killing it for me at present, to the extent i have even just ordered one of these mixed reality headsets(the Dell one) to see how they fair with the whole GR issues, because at present anything that removes or tones them down somewhat would be a win compared to the CV1.
But if they want to hold back until they can offer some major improvements then i have no issue with that either, i can plod along with what i have until then. 🙂
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The Oculus Go lenses are a significant improvement over the Rift, with much-reduced god rays. I would expect that should carry over to CV2. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Digikid1
Consultant

Zenbane said:

Digikid1 said:
He goes and leases it and falls in love with the new 2019 model. 

Falling in love always causes problems.

Words to live by.

Truer words have never been spoken...err....typed.   😄

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Okay, show of hands - how many of you would upgrade your GPU to the new USB-C standard:

q3f9nhgih6kg.png

- Right now?
- In a few months?
- In 12-months?

That would mean retiring your CV1 till a "converter" is released, but would mean your ready for CV2.... or whatever it will be!

Not going to do a poll, just throwing the question out there
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable
If it would mean not being able to use the CV1, I would wait until a means was provided for it. Then I would likely upgrade, but only if the GPU had reports of a significant boost over the 1080 Ti.