cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Forest VR

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer
Has anyone played The Forest VR yet? I believe its only on Steam but looks pretty cool. Any thoughts??
7 REPLIES 7

RattyUK
Trustee
I've played an hour or so - it was in my flat collection so the VR update was a pleasant surprise!

Lots of updates from the original VR release appear to be ironing out issues that were found.  It looks quite good and plays smoothly.  It's likely I'll have a 'proper' play of it in the near future.  There was a thread discussing the game recently that you should be able to search for, reactions were mixed.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

nrosko
Superstar
There is a big thread about it someplace on here. I haven't been in it for a while but implementation of VR seemed to be going well, caves are scary as f&*k. Game is still in beta though so not perfect.  It is a survival/sandbox game so if you like that sort of thing then definitely worth a look.  Remember on steam you get the 2 hour returns. 

Comic_Book_Guy
Superstar
It's terrible. Hasnt had any updates too since launch. BEYOND terrible controls, really bad graphics. meh!

JeremyC85
Heroic Explorer

It's terrible. Hasnt had any updates too since launch. BEYOND terrible controls, really bad graphics. meh!

this is what I'm afraid of! what GPU/CPU are you using?

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yeah, although I was looking forward to it, I confess I haven't even thought of playing it since my first test session in VR.
Got stuck (literally) after a few minutes and left it.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

nrosko said:

There is a big thread about it someplace on here. I haven't been in it for a while but implementation of VR seemed to be going well, caves are scary as f&*k. Game is still in beta though so not perfect.  It is a survival/sandbox game so if you like that sort of thing then definitely worth a look.  Remember on steam you get the 2 hour returns. 

Much the same here - tried it two days ago. Graphics aren't that bad, I jumped in using super-sampling 2.0, frame-rate about 45, sometimes lower. But that wasn't really a problem, the game feels like early access (and yes, it is), the game's simply too raw and unpolished for me to spend my precious sparetime playing that game. You're also floating several inches above ground - feels like an early alpha version. Also too much brightness on the Rift. 

The game was also too stressful - a few minutes after starting the game I got attacked, I didn't even get time to figure out the controls and the crafting. So I just got reminded of how much I dislike VR horror games, such games make me far too nervous 😉

I just received a refund. I'd rate that VR experience 5/10. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
I'm really hoping that The Fun Pimps will follow up on their promises to make 7 Days To Die VR compatible on release. It's unity, so should be doable, and the last time I mentioned it (admittedly about a year ago) they were still resolute (the main man had played Minecraft in VR and had been blown away, so the odds are good).

That would be in around a ayear or so, if their latest rough timetable is anything to go by. Then you will have another VR horror game to test - and this one holds your hand for the first few hours and shows you how to do things. And it has been very popular in 2D, plus those who have given it a go with VorpX (like myself) know that it will be awesome in VR.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2