cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

July Platform Updates: Hang Out with Friends in Rift Core 2.0—Early Social Features Rolling Out Now!

cybereality
Grand Champion

https://www.oculus.com/blog/july-platform-updates-hang-out-with-friends-in-rift-core-early-social-fe...
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
25 REPLIES 25

wetware
Explorer
Has anyone worked out if it is possible to save the new avatar as an image? I have a few places I would like to use it.

sford52
Heroic Explorer
Is there a place to get more information on using core-2, specifically the new home features?

I'd like to:
1) Delete my newly created attempts. In other words, what are the keystrokes/incantations required to delete them
2) Select the blaster and targets in new homes.  The blaster is always "0" and can't be placed. It is only
  available in the default home supplied by Oculus
3) How do we get our own music albums into home?
Thanks
ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

kzintzi
Trustee

sford52 said:

Is there a place to get more information on using core-2, specifically the new home features?

I'd like to:
1) Delete my newly created attempts. In other words, what are the keystrokes/incantations required to delete them
2) Select the blaster and targets in new homes.  The blaster is always "0" and can't be placed. It is only
  available in the default home supplied by Oculus
3) How do we get our own music albums into home?
Thanks

hey there - (some) answers below:

1) no idea I'm afraid, but someone else will be able to help (I'm assuming this is imported assets, if not grab something and then select the PUT AWAY button)
2) only some items are infinite in number, others need you to win/discover them in your reward boxes. if you have 1 blaster then you can only have one out in a home.. if you want to move it from home 1 to home 2, you need to put it away in home 1 first. please note that shaking reward boxes before opening them makes some objects more likely (but how this works I'm not actually sure), and it makes them hum/sing/glow
3) you can't do this as yet - you can (using dash) pin your favorite player into the world space and have that play music for you. 
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

ElusiveMarlin
Rising Star

sford52 said:

I'd like to:

I have been playing a lot with the custom assets feature.  (Excellent addition Oculus!)
I too struggled with deleting broken/unneeded objects, but there is a solution....

Initially, you have to make sure that the object is not "deployed" anywhere in your room.
Then you simply point at the object you no longer want in the inventory screen and then press the "Y" button on the left controller.  This will pop up an information panel about the object but also a menu with a "Remove item" option.
Once you select this, it will be removed from the list after a few seconds.

If it does not go, then the object must be deployed somewhere in your room, and you have to go hunting for it and put it away!  😄

Not sure about points 2 & 3 personally, but think @kzintzi has answered them for you.

Hope this helps
RIFT CV1
RIFT S
Leeds, UK.

Intel Core i7 7700K 3.7GHz | RAM 32GB DDR4 2666MHz | GeForce GTX 1080 8GB |

"Behind every mask there is a face, and behind that a story...."

sford52
Heroic Explorer
Hello ElusiveMartin and Kzintzi; thank you for your help. I appreciate it.

Now, for the Oculus Devs - 
Here is one users feedback.  I am a complete beginner with Oculus, VR, headset, sensors, and controllers.

While the new "home" idea is inviting, in the end it's implementation has turned out to be just additional complexity and frustration. 
Nothing more than yet another game with no instructions or assistance for users to fumble through.

What I would like is a place where I can learn the controllers, buttons, grabs, teleport, all of that without having to play a game, building up experience and solving puzzles.   Honestly, simple is ok. 

When I grab a book, how can I open it and read it - or is that an option. Beats me. 
How do I disable the annoying music? Push this button, bring up this menu point to that bar stand on one foot.....
I would like to create a new home that is a blaster in each hand and a bunch of shooting gallery targets. Can't do that. Only 0 blasters available to use until something happens. Maybe. Maybe not. Who knows.
I have spent several hours touring other users homes, including one where there are hummingbirds, robot parts, game cartridges, blasters, and tons of stuff. I've created my own homes and placed objects. It seems like what I'm playing is VR Interior Decorator.

I think I'll switch off core 2, go back to the original home, and play Lone Echo.

Oculus, you have a store full of games for users of all skill levels. Dont compete with them.
Or at least, make two versions of this new home - home beginner (for beginners) and home regular. 

I'm sorry if this comes across as too critical I do appreciate your work and what you want to do here.
But, honestly, simple is ok.
ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home

kzintzi
Trustee
part of the problem with what you're describing is that the oculus platform is implemented by Developers in different ways, so that how you read a book/turn pages (for example) will be different each time.

in 10 years time once the standards/accepted UX has been established and noone does it different it'll happen, but the field is still too new.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.