New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

"Consumer interest in VR is declining according to sales data trends"!?

1235»

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,211 Valuable Player
    That chart is definitely incorrect.....
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 5,162 Valuable Player
    Just dropped a media question to IDC to confirm they did not mix up the color coding  B)
    urdgfqqehbbb.png
    ** Second New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,901 Valuable Player
    saami81 said:
    Consumer friendly VR is still young. Here is a link to show how slow internet became popular.
    I tried internet fist time in 1997, but only got it for home in 2004. Even after 7 years in 2004 it was still mostly a place for nerds. "There is no women in internet" was quite true back then.

If only VR had the type of growth the internet had.  For us nerds out here that were around back then, we'd already been deep in internet for at least 4 years by the time you tried it for the first time, way back before WWW was around.  The growth was so phenomenal, in 1993 those of us still in the BBS world saw the writing on the wall, not only were our boards going to be completely wiped out, it was going to happen very quickly and EVERYONE was soon going to get on board.  I WISH VR had the growth of the internet, look at these numbers:

# of internet users

16 million in 95
    36 million in 96
    70 million in 97
    147 million in 98
    248 million in 99
    361 million in 2000

If VR has growth like this, you won't be able to find an indie title in the sea of AAA that would be tripping over themselves to develope here.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,501 Valuable Player
    The only way we know how many headsets have been sold by any manufacturer is by said manufacturers releasing those sales figures officially. Only Sony and Samsung have done this so far.

Like I've mentioned on here and other forums before these companies guesstimate sales figures based on feedback from retail partners such as Best Buy or Newegg or similar stores and base these sales off that.

And even when manufacturers release their 'sales' figures it all depends on the individual company whether those sales or actual sales or just shipments. Sony always release actual sales, Microsoft release shipment figures, to name two examples.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Wow they're optomistic about the growth of VR over 5 years.  They're tackling one of the largest problems with the collaboration to create a standard to avoid motion sickness.  Now that GPU needs to be in the $250 to $300 range and NOT a $500 to $700 range. (Fat chance, you won't find an 1180 in those lower ranges unless it falls off a truck mark my words)  The Steam survey shows what the majority of people have, $250 to $300 would be in the range of MOST users on steam, that's the price of the cards they currently have the most of.

Cost of computers seem to be going up not down, but I don't know.  A friend of mine wanted a new intel machine, it's already at nearly $650 and he hasn't even purchased the OS, a monitor or a GPU.  It's just an I7 6700 with 16 gigs of ram no fancy MB, PSU or anything.  So many people don't have a computer these days because of Mobile devices, that this cost right here will be the Achilles heel to VR.  $600 to $700 for a machine that then needs another $250 to $700 for the GPU before adding the cost of VR itself will almost insure that VR remains a niche for a LONG LONG time.  I hardly know anyone with that kind of disposable income that would have any interest in playing VR or video games.  Those that are into it don't have close to $2,000 in disposable income.  It's simply too damn expensive for most people period.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    edited July 2018
    it really depends what people consider to be "good" sales.
    Vr is for the most part in the home aimed at gamers.  console gamers are going to look at console VR.  if the better eye candy of flat screen games as well as free online has not persuaded them to drop their console then vr wont either.. console gamers will look for console VR.

that means PC VR will be aimed at PC gamers.   PC gamers will already have a pc to a certain level.... once the 11 series gpu comes out i think we will see the 1150 level of cards being VR ready.....  a few years from now pretty much all gaming PCs and even a lot of general purpose PCS will be capable of running CV1.

you say people use mobile devices and dont game on pcs... well TBH for the moment at least PC vr simply isnt aimed at them... that is what Go and SC and daydream etc will be going for.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)

you say people use mobile devices and dont game on pcs... well TBH for the moment at least PC vr simply isnt aimed at them... that is what Go and SC and daydream etc will be going for.

I know this.  PC VR will forever be a niche.  Console VR would be more popular by default because of a much larger installed user base and because it is cheaper... A LOT cheaper.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    edited July 2018
    falken76 said:

I know this.  PC VR will forever be a niche.  Console VR would be more popular by default because of a much larger installed user base and because it is cheaper... A LOT cheaper.
    I think it just depends on your definition of niche and i think this is where we differ.

are people who use decent quality racing wheels and pedals niche?
    or those who use 3 screen systems
    or those who use warthog level HOTAS systems?

Some would say PC gaming in general is niche, and it is compared to numbers playing candycrush on their phone, and if you subscribe to this then PCVR can never go beyond the realm of niche.... I dont however..

I game with 4 mates on a semi weekly basis. whilst i was the 1st to get PC VR, everyone of them now has a vr device (all bar 1 having rifts, with one with a vive) so that is 5 out of 5 of us now with decent VR HMDs.

I know a lot of folk with VR headsets, and a whole bunch more waiting to see what the next gen of graphics cards bring.... then, i speak with other folk who do not think VR is quite they yet , but will be interested once the next gen hmds come out.

TLDR in terms of the general population I think you are right, however in terms of core PC gamers, I think it wont be long before they all have VR ready machines by default, and then the only hurdle is the price of the hmd.... I can easily see HMDs being on an equal footing then with the peripherals i listed at the top.

which for me as a sim racer and part time flyboy, are core items and not optional luxuries... (and a VR hmd is cheaper than 3 screens so could save some folk cash)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    edited August 2018
    Morgrum said:
    Take this Bot!

SNOWDOG
    SNOW–DOG
    SNOM–DOG
    –NOM–DO
    –NOMAD

Huh... Just like V'GER, it was easy to see along.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 776
    3Jane
    edited August 2018
    I was a VR skeptic right up until last year, then i bought a DK2 from ebay to see what all the fuss was about, now i have a PSVR, a Rift and a Dell Visor and i am chomping at the bit for the next evolution of VR headsets....so if i have anything to do with it VR is here to stay. ;)

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,152 Valuable Player
    OmegaM4N said:
    i bought a DK2
    now i have a PSVR, a Rift and a Dell Visor and i am chomping at the bit

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 776
    3Jane
    ^^lol
    But what a way to go. lol