cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Consumer interest in VR is declining according to sales data trends"!?

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
https://media.thinknum.com/articles/sales-data-shows-that-consumer-interest-in-vr-is-waning/

Maybe the suggested trends are true, but I have several problems with that article. 

1. The first graph doesn't show PS4 VR sales strictly - it shows Skyrim Bundle Sales Rank. I don't like Skyrim - I'd never go for that bundle too. 

2. Next is HTC Vive - which seems to go up in May and slightly down in June - but it starts at about 90 in March and finishes at about 97 in June. Not much variation - and we all know that the summer vacation means low VR sales. So I don't see any specific trend here at all - actually VIVE seems to be doing fine or at least seems stable. 

3. Then comes Samsung Gear VR. Note that this chart must be only showing data from 2016 - it ends in "Nov" and the text only mentions the year 2016. So this chart does not belong with the other results, it seems like a far-fetched attempt be the author to support some trend that the author believes exists. 

4. Finally there's Oculus Go -  which are the results that worry me the most. Still new things often ride on an initial wave of curiosity, and will then slowly sink to a more stable level, maybe that's what we're seeing here. 

Also note the chart that has been omitted by the author - the Rift chart! Is the author hiding something that doesn't support the proposed trend?

So I just checked the latest Steam VR hardware survey results - today they are - July 11 2018:

iev0j5pzwegl.jpg

And:

i6a7mmjcla5z.jpg

And here they are April 30 2018 (I mailed the results to some friends back then, so therefore I have these results):

VR Headsets 
Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

Thus Rift has gone from 0.20% to 0.32% - that's a massive 60% increase in just 2 months! 
HTC Vive went up from 0.18 to 0.31 - a massive 72% increase in just 2 months!
Windows MR also increased 5 times from 0.01 to 0.05 - that's not bad either, right?

I do believe that Oculus Go and Gear VR may be poisoning the well - but I really don't see any decline in real VR adoption - if current Steam trends are continuing, Rift and Vive may reach 1% in 9 to 12 months, which would make these headsets about as popular as the GeForce GTX 1080 Ti  😉 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

132 REPLIES 132

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
I was a VR skeptic right up until last year, then i bought a DK2 from ebay to see what all the fuss was about, now i have a PSVR, a Rift and a Dell Visor and i am chomping at the bit for the next evolution of VR headsets....so if i have anything to do with it VR is here to stay. 😉

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:

i bought a DK2
now i have a PSVR, a Rift and a Dell Visor and i am chomping at the bit

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^lol
But what a way to go. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.