cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will CV1 continue to be manufactured when CV2 arrives?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I ask because if Oculus want people to get into VR, then wouldn't it makes sense to continue with the CV1 as a cheap alternative to CV2? 
90 REPLIES 90

ShocksVR
Superstar

snowdog said:

darkjorik said:

How I understand CV2 have dynamically focus view.
Thats good, but this is Oculus tech. Used only for games made by Oculus, because it's a closed platform.
Additionally we have better degree field of view and resolution. But for this you need better PC.

It's highly unlikely that we'll see the CV2 having the varifocal feature that the Half Dome advanced prototype had at F8.

As for not seeing it in non-Oculus games Oculus will have these features, as well as eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering at the runtime level. So any VR game released on Steam will be able to use them.

And if Oculus DO manage to have a 4K resolution headset with eye tracking and dynamic foveated rendering you won't need a more powerful PC to run it.

If Oculus manage to pull this off for next year Pimax, HTC and all of the WVR headset manufacturers might as well give up and go home lol

Next gen GPUs from nvidia and AMD are supposed to have that new VR plug. So gen2 will probably still require a "newish" gpu.

darkjorik said:

How I understand CV2 have dynamically focus view.
Thats good, but this is Oculus tech. Used only for games made by Oculus, because it's a closed platform.
Additionally we have better degree field of view and resolution. But for this you need better PC.

The varifocal displays require eye tracking. The game you play (Oculus or STEAM) shouldn't matter since the screen and tracking will depend on what your eye is doing.  Thus, varifocal displays and foveated tracking should work for all games, as long as Oculus logically implements the tech
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Richooal
Consultant

Zenbane said:

My older bricks have even survived brawls at a pub lol

Why on Earth would you give your phone to someone who is brawling.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would imagine that Oculus would have some sort of adapter allowing older GPUs to be used. There's no way that Oculus will expect every potential CV2 user to buy a new GPU.

Luciferous
Consultant
I will buy a new PC/GPU along with my CV2, leaving it to the last minute to get the fastest I can. Oh I am starting to get excited already. 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I will buy a new PC/GPU along with my CV2, leaving it to the last minute to get the fastest I can. Oh I am starting to get excited already. 🙂

Yes, I think it was a bit premature to talk about CV2  😄

Gets me a load of replies though..

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Premature CVelation
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Congratulations
Adventurer
You know I ready got CV2? I dreamt that I got one, so I ready have one. So on that note who am I?

vannagirl
Consultant

Techy111 said:

Premature CVelation

This problem exists
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Techy111
MVP
MVP

Ilovethis said:

You know I ready got CV2? I dreamt that I got one, so I ready have one. So on that note who am I?

Dr Strange ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Congratulations
Adventurer
Close Xavier.