cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Football Season 2018-2019 Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it's almost Premiership football time again. Just a few pre-season matches to go and the season will start.

United played the Mexican side Club America in the States at 3am this morning and drew 1-1. Chong came on as a sub and was awesome as always. I'm hoping he and Gomes are going to break through to the first team this season although Mourinho is sounding like he doesn't think Chong is strong enough to break through this year due to his 10 month break after his knee exploded last season. Probably doesn't want to rush him back too soon against the big boys.

United's next pre-season match is against the San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday at 10pm.
42 REPLIES 42

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

I clicked on this looking for Football, but found Soccer instead.

Football - Ball is a spherical object manipulated by the foot.
Football is not an oblong object primarily manipulated by the hand (+ mostly ad breaks/stats that requires the attention span of an amoeba),  you can call that sport Handobloid.

Go on the pool 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Go on the pool 🙂

blackpool are looking good this year 😛

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Go on the pool 🙂

blackpool are looking good this year 😛

I'm talking about the mighty Hartlepool obviously 😉

Techy111
MVP
MVP
f18pas80say4.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

lukeskywatcher said:Football - Ball is a spherical object manipulated by the foot.
Football is not an oblong object primarily manipulated by the hand (+ mostly ad breaks/stats that requires the attention span of an amoeba),  you can call that sport Handobloid.

Someone always jumps the shark with the Football vs Soccer references.

I would argue that Soccer-Football requires the attention span of an amoeba due to its low scoring potential. In fact, a Soccer-Football game even at the World Cup can result in nobody scoring; 0-0 lol

Whenever someone actually does score in Soccer-Football, articles are written about it:
https://www.upi.com/Record-number-of-games-without-0-0-draws-at-2018-World-Cup/7541529775097/

In Rugby Football, the ball is in fact Kicked often. Kicking happens with the foot. The Oblong shape and use of hands is what differentiates from Soccer-Football and Rugby Football. Also the fact that people actually score in Rugby Football.
B)

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee

Zenbane said:

lukeskywatcher said:Football - Ball is a spherical object manipulated by the foot.

I would argue that Soccer-Football requires the attention span of an amoeba due to its low scoring potential. In fact, a Soccer-Football game even at the World Cup can result in nobody scoring; 0-0 lol

Whenever someone actually does score in Soccer-Football, articles are written about it:
https://www.upi.com/Record-number-of-games-without-0-0-draws-at-2018-World-Cup/7541529775097/

In Rugby Football, the ball is in fact Kicked often. Kicking happens with the foot. The Oblong shape and use of hands is what differentiates from Soccer-Football and Rugby Football. Also the fact that people actually score in Rugby Football.
B)

Stamina and  musclestrenght is whats required for highrank soccer.
 Football is way different due to the many breaks.

Try both out, and you will feel it on your own body. 🙂
Be good, die great !

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

KlodsBrik said:
Stamina and  musclestrenght is whats required for highrank soccer.
 Football is way different due to the many breaks.

Try both out, and you will feel it on your own body. 🙂

Yeah I would never defend the actual sport of American Football vs World Football (what we call soccer). But if we're gonna talk about attention spans of the people watching... then that's a different story lol

I have played both, mostly in high-school. I concur with your analogy 100%.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
The thing I respect about American football is it is really inclusive. Take that big feller a few years back... The fridge iirc.   Outside of sumo any other sport in the world he word have been laughed off the pitch but he got to presumably be a millionaire pro off it
As a spectator sport it does nothing for me but as a participation sport it's great. A mate of mine played at a fairly high level back on the day (high level for the UK)
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's my top 5:

1) United (of course lol)
2) City
3) Liverpool
4) Spurs
5) Chelsea

And arse to get relegated lmfao 😛 😄 😄 😄

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

B)

American footie is derived from irish connacht rugby - which was derived from english rugby - which was derived from the real Football (who's the real daddy).

With 0-0 scores no-ones unhappy, surely all sports should strive not to score then??

Constant scores is like nicotine addiction, you need regular doses for a tiny hit. When for example my beloved Hartlepool beat Man UTD 1-0 in extra-time replay (after previously drawing 0-0), then you get full brain footie-orgasm that lasts for weeks!! :#