New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Will CV1 continue to be manufactured when CV2 arrives?

13»

Comments

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,607 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    My older bricks have even survived brawls at a pub lol

Why on Earth would you give your phone to someone who is brawling.
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,484 Valuable Player
    I would imagine that Oculus would have some sort of adapter allowing older GPUs to be used. There's no way that Oculus will expect every potential CV2 user to buy a new GPU.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,375 Valuable Player
    I will buy a new PC/GPU along with my CV2, leaving it to the last minute to get the fastest I can. Oh I am starting to get excited already. :)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,017 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    I will buy a new PC/GPU along with my CV2, leaving it to the last minute to get the fastest I can. Oh I am starting to get excited already. :)

Yes, I think it was a bit premature to talk about CV2  :D

Gets me a load of replies though..
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,735 Volunteer Moderator
    Premature CVelation
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• CongratulationsCongratulations Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    edited August 2018
    You know I ready got CV2? I dreamt that I got one, so I ready have one. So on that note who am I?
  • vannagirlvannagirl Posts: 2,007 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    Premature CVelation

This problem exists
    Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 
    Ilovethis said:
    You know I ready got CV2? I dreamt that I got one, so I ready have one. So on that note who am I?
    Dr Strange ?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• CongratulationsCongratulations Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    Close Xavier.  
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity

Remember mobile phones?  I skipped the first 10 gens i reckon - "i don't need one".
    I was fairly early with mobile phones (does anyone remember the ones in which you carried the battery like a school lunch box in one hand, and you held the handset with the other?), but with smart phones, I only got one 3 years ago because my carrier refused to support my flip phone (I had to buy a smart phone to use them, so I bought a 99$ moto smartphone — I finally caved to the smartphone world... but... I only use it for rare phone calls and receiving texts, nothing else).
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,375 Valuable Player
    edited August 2018
    Just in case I am staring out of my window for the UPS driver.
    vannagirl said:
    Techy111 said:
    Premature CVelation

This problem exists

But you said you wouldn't tell anyone!!! :o:(
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

My first phone was a tad chunky.

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,521 Valuable Player
    Lol I so remember those Nokia's.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • shadowfroggershadowfrogger Posts: 502
    Trinity
    edited August 2018
    From the people I know who I wouldn't consider normal PC gamer but have tried  VR and are now interested in VR games like beat saber/climb.  They were very keen on getting a CV1 and the price of the headset did not put them off.  The not having a gaming PC was definitively the hold back.  Even if the CV2 was the same price as CV1, the environment around the rift is going to be totally different.  More games, Smoother ecosystem, Bigger VR market from other headsets, Better designed UI and more unique games over traditional games, Cheaper hardware to run VR, more public awareness.
    I think word of mouth and people seeing and trying hardware at friend's houses does a lot of VR movement.  I'm hoping for cheap CV1 along side the CV2.  I also really hoping PSVR version 2 launches alongside the PS5 in 2020ish.

I'm not entirely sure that the cv2 variable focus will work for all vr games without patching/special implementation.  The game still needs to tell the variable focus what distance the object that the user is looking at.  You may be able to do that post processing outside the game or it maybe harder then that.

Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website!
    http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
    I wouldn't worry about the varifocal feature, we probably won't see that until the CV3 hits shelves.

• shadowfroggershadowfrogger Posts: 502
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    I wouldn't worry about the varifocal feature, we probably won't see that until the CV3 hits shelves.

Well, it's a known fact you are right 99.99% of the time.  However, this is one of those 0.01% time ;)
    Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website!
    http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 486
    Trinity
    snowdog said:
    I forget the video it was from (SIGGAPH? F8?), but there was an Oculus research guy talking about the Varifocals screens. It was something they have been working on for over 3 years, and "perfected" (their words).  Oculus Research has since moved on from varifocals screens; which I think means it's either ready for prime time or they've moved onto using a different tech.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    Can't wait for OC5.

Don't let me down Oculus!
    I hope they get it sorted this year so we can watch live on our headsets, go or rift. Now that would be awesome ;)

• dburnedburne Posts: 3,521 Valuable Player
    Techy111 said:
    I hope they get it sorted this year so we can watch live on our headsets, go or rift. Now that would be awesome ;)
    I would think they would, I managed to watch a lot of OC4 live on my Rift last year.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    I said this before on these forums, but I think they need to give away the HMD's for free as part of mobile phone bundles. That way millions more people would buy one.

Let me explain how it works here in the UK: When you take out a phone in the UK you can choose a free gift such as a wide screen TV, laptop, Xbox One, PS4 etc.

This is standard practice here in the UK, I got a free PS4 when I got a new phone. I asked all my friends would they get a Rift and they said yes but it's too expensive but they said they would happily take it for free as part of a phone bundle deal.

These phone deals aren't really free either because it's basically a loan on your credit file that you pay off over a 24 month contract.

Samsung at one point was giving away a free Gear VR for anyone who bought a Samsung phone which was a great idea so I don't see why Oculus can't do something similar.

I think this will happen eventually but not sure why it's taking so long, and then once Microsoft releases a hmd for their console and both Sony and Microsoft bundle their hmd's with their consoles then that will also help to speed things up as well.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    Yup, I've wondered that too, but the PC requirement might be a problem. If they do decide to do this it's more likely that they'll do this for the Santa Cruz I reckon.

I never go for these 'free' devices with mobile phones cos I'm too tight to pay the extra over a couple of years lol

I could understand the Go as a giveaway but the rift? No, can you imagine the phone company helpline? It would melt with people saying that their gtx 750 won't run VR. They would have to give high end pc's with the rift. The gear VR still does get given away. I have an unopened one here from Sky but those tight gits never offered me a ps4  :|

edited August 2018
    Problem with free stuff on mobile contracts is that they just add the price on so it's not free. Imagine the complaints from people asking why they were given a CV1 that didn't work? Not realising they also needed a PC to use it, and not just any old PC, but a highend PC.. They only give away things that don't require a list of other things.. 
    Project 2501
    Techy111 said:
    I could understand the Go as a giveaway but the rift? No, can you imagine the phone company helpline? It would melt with people saying that their gtx 750 won't run VR. They would have to give high end pc's with the rift. The gear VR still does get given away. I have an unopened one here from Sky but those tight gits never offered me a ps4  :|
    RedRizla said:
    Problem with free stuff on mobile contracts is that they just add the price on so it's not free. Imagine the complaints from people asking why they were given a CV1 that didn't work? Not realising they also needed a PC to use it, and not just any old PC, but a highend PC.. They only give away things that don't require a list of other things.. 

I wouldn't ring my mobile phone company if my PC/laptop/console/hmd wasn't working, I'd either take it back and exchange for a new one or I'd do a manufacturer warranty return.

And as for people getting a Rift that didn't work, I think this would be very rare, just like receiving a DOA (dead on arrival) PS4 or TV etc.
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited August 2018
    Techy111 said:
    RedRizla said:

I wouldn't ring my mobile phone company if my PC/laptop/console/hmd wasn't working, I'd either take it back and exchange for a new one or I'd do a manufacturer warranty return.

And as for people getting a Rift that didn't work, I think this would be very rare, just like receiving a DOA (dead on arrival) PS4 or TV etc.

With a DOA Television or PlayStation you would know it was DOA. With a CV1, how would you know it was DOA unless you had the right PC to test it? Just reading these forums alone there are people who have purchased a CV1, without realising it won't work on their PC because it's to low spec, and that's without the CV1 having a fault..
    Project 2501
    RedRizla said:
    Techy111 said:
    RedRizla said:

With a DOA Television or PlayStation you would know it was DOA. With a CV1, how would you know it was DOA unless you had the right PC to test it? Just reading these forums alone there are people who have purchased a CV1, not realising it won't work on their PC because it's to low spec, and that's without the CV1 having a fault..

Well, we could go back and forth for hours on this one but I still don't think it's a big issue. 

We need to get HMD's into as many consumer hands as possible and I believe this would be a good way to tackle that part of the puzzle. 

I've spoken to my friends, family and work colleagues who have tried my Rift and enjoyed it and they said they don't want to spend £400 on it but they would happily take it as part of a phone contract.

I think part of this is how people spend money today, a lot of people prefer to buy things over 24 months rather then spend loads of cash on the spot.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,978 Valuable Player
    I can't imagine this happening with a Rift but a Go yes, great idea, just like the Gear VR was a great idea.

Maybe a subscription service to Oculus Home could include a Santa Cruz?  It needs to be an all-in-one HMD.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,427 Volunteer Moderator
    I'm not entirely sure that the cv2 variable focus will work for all vr games without patching/special implementation.  The game still needs to tell the variable focus what distance the object that the user is looking at.  You may be able to do that post processing outside the game or it maybe harder then that.

The distance to the object is already known information--it's part of the 3D scene, and is already being used to determine the stereo separation. Variable focus would entirely be a function of the Oculus runtime, just like stereo separation and barrel distortion.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0