cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Official Football Season 2018-2019 Thread

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well it's almost Premiership football time again. Just a few pre-season matches to go and the season will start.

United played the Mexican side Club America in the States at 3am this morning and drew 1-1. Chong came on as a sub and was awesome as always. I'm hoping he and Gomes are going to break through to the first team this season although Mourinho is sounding like he doesn't think Chong is strong enough to break through this year due to his 10 month break after his knee exploded last season. Probably doesn't want to rush him back too soon against the big boys.

United's next pre-season match is against the San Jose Earthquakes on Sunday at 10pm.
42 REPLIES 42

bigmike20vt
Visionary
The northwest is looking pretty strong. I agree with your top 3 but I think city will take some moving.

1) city
2) united
3) Liverpool
4) Chelsea
5) Arse.

5th was a tossup with spurs but I wanted at least 1 different team in there. I would love to see Everton make progress, they are kind of the "family" team if you like but I fear a tough season for them 
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable
Liverpool will do exactly what they've been doing every season for the last 5 years or so. They'll look great, they'll look like a serious title challenger...and the bottle it sometime between March and May.

We've got plenty of injuries at the start of the season but hopefully we'll be luckier with injuries as the season goes on. We had around half the injuries last season that we have normally, the three years before last we averaged 8 players injured every week. During Van Gaal's first season we had over 180 separate injuries. 😮 😞 😮

Everyone is expecting City to be as devastating as they were last season but football rarely works that way. it was an exceptional season but that sort of season rarely happens twice in a club's lifetime let alone for two consecutive seasons.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

With 0-0 scores no-ones unhappy, surely all sports should strive not to score then??

I wouldn't say "no one" since it's a common thing for American's to make fun of this type of thing. Granted that just opens up American's to ridicule for our own ridiculousness lol.

One of my favorite jokes about American Football is something I heard quite recently on the Ozzy Man show. His mate, Mozza, said that American Football players are all geared up as if their about to go off to fight a dragon. That's hilarious!

But the fact is that American Football is a multi-billion dollar industry. That's billions. With players literally making hundreds of millions of dollars a year... to actually score.

FIFA is estimated to make around 6 Billion from the World Cup. Which would be the highest they’ve ever made.

The NFL is at 14 billion in 2017, with estimates reaching over 20 billion over the next 10 years. With American Football bringing in more than twice as much Revenue as Soccer, I'd say that people may very well care about games that have "scoring as a baseline."

Constant scores is like nicotine addiction

The act of watching any sport itself on a regular basis is the proverbial nicotine addiction. The scoring in the game is experienced while the person is partaking in the overall addiction. This is why Sports is often accompanied with Gambling (another addiction), and has extended to the combination of Gambling and Sports with Fantasy Football leagues and the like.

Before a game even starts, the scores are 0-0. No one has to show up to see that. If the game ends at 0-0, then... what really happened? lol

Every noteworthy type of competition has "scoring" as a baseline. Swimming, Diving, Physical Combat. Heck, even a Spelling Bee Contest has everyone scoring.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Zenbane said:

With 0-0 scores no-ones unhappy, surely all sports should strive not to score then??

I wouldn't say "no one" since it's a common thing for American's to make fun of this type of thing. Granted that just opens up American's to ridicule for our own ridiculousness lol.

One of my favorite jokes about American Football is something I heard quite recently on the Ozzy Man show. His mate, Mozza, said that American Football players are all geared up as if their about to go off to fight a dragon. That's hilarious!

But the fact is that American Football is a multi-billion dollar industry. That's billions. With players literally making hundreds of millions of dollars a year... to actually score.

FIFA is estimated to make around 6 Billion from the World Cup. Which would be the highest they’ve ever made.

The NFL is at 14 billion in 2017, with estimates reaching over 20 billion over the next 10 years. With American Football bringing in more than twice as much Revenue as Soccer, I'd say that people may very well care about games that have "scoring as a baseline."

The act of watching any sport itself on a regular basis is the proverbial nicotine addiction. The scoring in the game is experienced while the person is partaking in the overall addiction. This is why Sports is often accompanied with Gambling (another addiction), and has extended to the combination of Gambling and Sports with Fantasy Football leagues and the like.

Before a game even starts, the scores are 0-0. No one has to show up to see that. If the game ends at 0-0, then... what really happened? lol

Every noteworthy type of competition has "scoring" as a baseline. Swimming, Diving, Physical Combat. Heck, even a Spelling Bee Contest has everyone scoring.

My tongue well embedded in my cheeks:)

In Ireland we have the best football, Gaelic football - no nonsense, no cry-babies, still amateur, community based and the guys are as fit as paid premier players. The money earned mostly goes back into their communities.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

My tongue well embedded in my cheeks:)

In Ireland we have the best football, Gaelic football - no nonsense, no cry-babies, still amateur, community based and the guys are as fit as paid premier players. The money earned mostly goes back into their communities.

Well received, buddy. I would never question the talent behind any of those athletes. I don't really watch American Football anymore. I did back in highschool, but that's back when I had an interest in playing it.

I'm more of an American Basketball fan. I love the NBA. But those are high-scoring games (70-100 points on average).

I do have a love of all sports. And I certainly take my hat off to true talented athletes.

But when you say "no nonsense, no cry-babies," are you sure about that?

Anonymous
Not applicable
lol got to use that phrase now "f**k me dead!", pure classic 😄
You should check out when Ireland plays the aussies annually in mixed aussie/gaelic football. No body armour either!

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Zenbane said:

You know I agree with you on some things... But are you really saying you think American football  is bigger on the world wide stage than "soccer"?. The world cup may not make that much money but that is but 1 competition. The premier league brings in billions, and that is just our tiny little island. Soccer is huge... It's just not as big in the states.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

You know I agree with you on some things... But are you really saying you think American football  is bigger on the world wide stage than "soccer"?. The world cup may not make that much money but that is but 1 competition. The premier league brings in billions, and that is just our tiny little island. Soccer is huge... It's just not as big in the states.

Come on buddy, did I say anything about the world wide stage as it pertains to American Football popularity? American football is American. World Soccer is World. I am using the proper terms to depict boundaries lol

I'm not even defending the use of the word "Football" for the American version. I agree that Football makes more sense for what we call Soccer over here.

If you read what I'm saying, I'm simply presenting some facts around the idea that there very much is a market for games that have a "high-scoring" framework. The market for high-scoring leagues is higher in dollar value than those without. It doesn't mean one thing is better than the other, it just means that there is substantial interest in it.

bigmike20vt
Visionary
Ah ok I genuinely thought would were talking about biggest overall. I totally accept it is America's biggest sport.
Last I looked (and it could have changed) soccer players and some boxers on the top stage were payed more than American footballers.
That said it's a discussing amount  of cash and is far too high (not that I blame the players for that). Football (soccer) is actually on the verge I think of imploding on itself the money is just out of hand. It is slightly better at grass roots level but still no longer the affordable hobby for the average blue collar working man and his kids. But I digress

bigmike20vt
Visionary
(to each their own btw. American football is just too much downtime and goes on too long for me. I get bored. Icehockey is the sport I think I would follow if I lived in the states or Canada)