cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will CV1 continue to be manufactured when CV2 arrives?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I ask because if Oculus want people to get into VR, then wouldn't it makes sense to continue with the CV1 as a cheap alternative to CV2? 
90 REPLIES 90

kernow
Heroic Explorer

Remember mobile phones?  I skipped the first 10 gens i reckon - "i don't need one".

I was fairly early with mobile phones (does anyone remember the ones in which you carried the battery like a school lunch box in one hand, and you held the handset with the other?), but with smart phones, I only got one 3 years ago because my carrier refused to support my flip phone (I had to buy a smart phone to use them, so I bought a 99$ moto smartphone — I finally caved to the smartphone world... but... I only use it for rare phone calls and receiving texts, nothing else).

Luciferous
Consultant
Just in case I am staring out of my window for the UPS driver.

Anonymous
Not applicable

vannagirl said:

Techy111 said:

Premature CVelation

This problem exists

But you said you wouldn't tell anyone!!! 😮 😞

Techy111
MVP
MVP
My first phone was a tad chunky.

pznqnvv2p3lt.jpg
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Lol I so remember those Nokia's.

shadowfrogger
Heroic Explorer
From the people I know who I wouldn't consider normal PC gamer but have tried  VR
and are now interested in VR games like beat saber/climb.  They were very keen on
getting a CV1 and the price of the headset did not put them off.  The not having a
gaming PC was definitively the hold back.  Even if the CV2 was the same
price as CV1, the environment around the rift is going to be totally
different.  More games, Smoother ecosystem, Bigger VR market from other
headsets, Better designed UI and more unique games over traditional
games, Cheaper hardware to run VR, more public awareness.
I think
word of mouth and people seeing and trying hardware at friend's houses
does a lot of VR movement.  I'm hoping for cheap CV1 along side the
CV2.  I also really hoping PSVR version 2 launches alongside the PS5 in
2020ish.

I'm not entirely sure that the cv2 variable focus will work for all vr games without patching/special implementation.  The game still needs to tell the variable focus what distance the object that the user is looking at.  You may be able to do that post processing outside the game or it maybe harder then that.

Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website! http://www.gaming-disorder.com/

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wouldn't worry about the varifocal feature, we probably won't see that until the CV3 hits shelves.

shadowfrogger
Heroic Explorer

snowdog said:

I wouldn't worry about the varifocal feature, we probably won't see that until the CV3 hits shelves.

Well, it's a known fact you are right 99.99% of the time.  However, this is one of those 0.01% time 😉
Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website! http://www.gaming-disorder.com/

ShocksVR
Superstar

snowdog said:

I forget the video it was from (SIGGAPH? F8?), but there was an Oculus research guy talking about the Varifocals screens. It was something they have been working on for over 3 years, and "perfected" (their words).  Oculus Research has since moved on from varifocals screens; which I think means it's either ready for prime time or they've moved onto using a different tech.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

Can't wait for OC5.

Don't let me down Oculus!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3